Dino beach covers | FerrariChat

Dino beach covers

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Jul 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Attatched is the first photo i have EVER come across of what i believe to be the "real" beach cover option offered by the factory. all of the photo's i have seen up to this point have been of terrt cloth towel-like seat covers and not anything that could be a "beach cover". thank you to "dino intusiasts" that know who you - look to ferrari-ads, for further clarification.

does anyone else have these?

if you do and would like to sell them, name your price in a pm to me.

2. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Am I missing something?

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
  4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i can't upload the stupid photo

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #5 tx246, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i thought i'd try once more, does anyone know of any "beach covers' that may be for sale?

7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Full marks for tenacity.

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

hey, someone has to have a set of these sitting around and doesn't even know what they are.

9. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What are they? Are they just super rare seat covers or do they have some other purpose? What are the details? I don't have any laying around but I'd like to know what they are haha thanks in advance.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

they are inserts designed to protect your inner seat panels, whether dyatona style or not, from the sun and protect you rear and back from being burned when the gts hardtop is left off for an extneded period. they don't cover the bolster area, just the interior.

are they really useful, probabley not, which is why no one seems to have them anymore. or do they?

11. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for the info were they a factory option, standard or after market?

12. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    #12 vroomgt, Feb 13, 2007
  13. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    vroomgt, those are the actual seats from my car (00542).

Some "L" series cars came with terry cloth inserts instead of Dino vinyl centers. I don't know what the allusive beach covers are actually made of but during my restoration, I decided to reupholster my seats with the original seat insert material. I bought the last bolt of stuff which Romano Luppi had at his shop in Italy. In fact, I washed the material a few times before I gave it to the trimmer because I didn't want it to run pink on my pants! Obviously I don't need beach covers because my seats are essentially beach towels!

Good luck wspeer. Someone out there must have a set of beach covers.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He needs about FIVE sets and Fleet pricing.....;)

15. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    I find them strangely attractive!

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    anyone....anyone???????

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    what the hell, i'll try again.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    maybe now?

19. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I recall going to some kind of big swap meet in Rome in 1973 where they had all kinds of aftermarket seat covers for various Italian cars. Some had bigger side bolsters and slipped over the seat backs. I would guess the items shown in the photo are aftermarket products.

Us old folks recall that in the 60's and 70's seat covers were quite popular in this country, too, back when vinyl was the standard upholstery material and only luxury cars had air conditioning. Some had a kind of wire coil frame and plastic weave surface so air could circulate between your backside and the hot vinyl of the seat.

20. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    Hard to imagine the folks at Ferrari thinking about days at the beach. One of the joys of the old leather seats is getting stuck to them on a hot day, and getting up with some nice, permanent stripes on your clothes.

It may be that the Dino engine is a practical tool -- designed to actually work -- and the car has a really useful trunk. But, it's still an Italian car. Seatcovers? We don't need no stinkin' seat covers!

21. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    ...that doubles as a warming oven.

22. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    #22 gblue, Oct 27, 2007
    Aloha....Just got this photo from Matthias in Germany....these were on his 206 GT #00334 and he just washed them up and redid his seats..
    what does it all mean??????
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Hello Keith, was your L-serie car #00542 original delivered with black vinyl and orange cloth inserts and what was the original colour of #00542.
    I do have the same seats. I kept the original orange cloth and just remade the black vinyl 161.
    My Dino 206 GT #00334 was original delivered in "Rosso Dino 20-R-350" with this kind of seats and grey carpets.
    Does anyone know of other beach towel cloth inserts colours than orange original delivered by the factory?
    Regards Matthias

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have only heard of the orange color. the "beach covers" are designed to go over the factory seats

25. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Matthias and all:

My car is 00542 but the exterior and interior colors are not as original. The car left the factory with a metalic grey exterior and beige Dino vinyl interior. I wanted my car to look like the one on the brochure so I went with the red exterior, black dino vinyl interior with red seat inserts. While I believe Dinos look great in metalic grey, the beige Dino vinyl is not my cup of tea.

I knew the previous owner of Robert Kenton's "L" series car and when he owned it, it had a black Dino vinyl interior with beige cloth inserts. I don't know if they were original but it a nice early "L" series car with original wood wheel, straight knock offs and I have no reason to believe they weren't original. Robert, chime in here if you wish.

Another friend who owns 00870 said the original red seat inserts would run when on your clothes. If you drove the Dino in light pants on a hot day, you were pink when you arrived at your destination! When I bought the seat insert material from Romano Luppi's shop in Italy, I took it home and washed it several times to set the dye before giving it to the trimmer and it has not turned my pants pink yet!

Cheers...Keith