Door Pocket Screws | FerrariChat

Door Pocket Screws

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Sep 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#1 dm_n_stuff, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think I saw a comment here recently about the door pocket screws that secure it to the door being a flat head screw.

I also thought I saw that they were very hard/unobtainable.

I have a source for these, BUT, I need to know the specs on the screw.

Length, thread and size, as I do not have ANY origial ones in my doors.

If one of you will dig one out and give me the specs, you get a brand spanking set of four new ones for free!!!

Picture attached. Do they look like this???

Anyone else who wants them, I'll post them in Ferrari Ads at cost and you can get a set there.

thanks,

Dave M.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Dave,

Pic is of right type. Mine are 5mm dia, 35mm long(threaded length), head dia is 8.8mm. Head height is 3.3mm. Called a Fillister or Cheese Head slotted screw. Looks like cad. plated steel. Should be easy to get at Specialty Tool here in SB.

John

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Confirmed they are 5mm Cheese Head and I can get them in standard or stainless all day long under a mile from my house at StoneWay hardware by the Marina.

Let me know if you need any.

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    How about a source for slotted, very short, sheet metal screws, pan head, to be used to hold the stainless trim on the rain rail of the coupe, and on the door edge? Length is a few millimeters for this application, but there are other locations that need 1 cm, and 1.5 cm length.

Thanks.

Jim S.

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Specialty Tool and Bolt
    108A Aero Camino
    Goleta, CA 93117
    1-800-S-B-BOLTS
    www.sbbolts.com

Same Day Fastener Service is their motto and it is true. Have been using them for years. Used to buy fasteners by the thousands. If they don't have it, they can get it next day. Will sell 1 or a thousand at reasonable prices. I have used #2 stainless sheet metal screws to hold my trim on. Sometimes have to trim the tip but no problem since thread is already in sheet metal. I use Philips head but you can get slotted if you want. Specialty has sizes from 00 to 2", materials from brass to stainless, black oxide to plated, Metric or English, and tools. Drills, taps, dies, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. Big catalog tells it all. Will ship FedEx the same day you call. Good guys.

John

6. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    John - thanks for the lead.

Jim S.

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Now have a box of 100 door pocket screws.

Anyone who'd like a set of 6 (2 spares, you know how we are) drop me a pm and I'll shoot you some.

Jim, I think I got the screws you need for the stainless trim, too. Drop me a PM with your addy, I'll send you some to test. May need to shorten them, but they appear to be JUST right for the job..

Finally, in my hunt for the perfect nuts (ARGHH, no jokes pleeeeze)I have the 6MMx1 yellow (zinc chromate???) nuts and washers that hold the engine compartment lid in place. Each car needs 6. Again, I now have 100, so if you need, let me know.

I can put a little packet together and make then a temp item on Fchatstuff.com if any of you want them. My cost plus postage.

DM

8. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Dave - thanks a million. I will PM you with my address.

Jim S.

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#9 dm_n_stuff, Oct 4, 2006
    Jim, I can get just about any size you want in stainless now. If you have sizes, I'll get 'em for you. If you don't we'll have to make some educated guesses. I'l turn some of the catalog pages into PDF's and email them to you.

Course, you have to buy 200 at a time. But if we figure out what sizes all us Dino guys need, that's not really that many.

They also have slotted black anodized, and philips anodized black, too.

Here's a pic of the screws.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I would be very happy to get a set of screws for my project.

11. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Dave,
    Looks like you are getting an education in nuts and bolts. Please be very careful in your selections and descriptions of material and finish and grades. These are precise technical terms and can have dire consequences if used indiscriminately. Please don't guess. You are providing a service but the fastener has to have the same strength and corrosion resistance as the Ferrari original. Even trim pieces are held on with fasteners with specific specs. Stainless is fine for many applications but has its own torque limits; generally lower than carbon steel. Black oxide steel will rust while black stainless will not. But many black oxide steel screws are heat treated to a higher strength than can be obtained with stainless.

Just go easy. A central clearing house for common fasteners will be a boon to all Ferrari owners. Still waiting for a small, clear FerrariChat decal that can be unotrusive but distinctive in my Dino's window. 1" x 5" would be about right. Think about it.

Thanks,

John

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Thanks John.

I'm hoping that my 30 years experience in manufacturing where I've supervised the maintainance and repair of machines that only use metric nuts, bolts and screws will help get me to the finish line on this. Many of those machines extert 600 or more metric tons of pressure, so I'm familiar with the concept.

Since all the bits are first being tested by my mechanic and/or body shop people on my car, I think we'll be safe.

I'm not at all interested in getting hardware for stressed parts of the car. No suspension, engine, tranny, etc, just trim pieces and the like. Reduces the chance for error. I let my mechanics put the other stuff together.

Dave

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #13 synchro, Jul 31, 2015
  14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005