Elton John and a Dino | FerrariChat

Elton John and a Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4redno, Sep 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
  2. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Gee, I hope that was his car and not some random car on the street. :D

3. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Tried to find a picture of Keith Moon and his dino after he tried to roll it (when told it could not be rolled).

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#4 dm_n_stuff, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow he used to be skinny.

6. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Elton John had a red 72 GT chassis no 03300.
    From memory it was sold recently and I think it was repainted yellow..

not 100%

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just asked someone who knows him, said he's never seen a Ferrari at either of his homes, and that he didn't seem much of a car guy.

8. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    1) It's OK to post a link to a photo but not OK to post the actual photo unless you have the rights (Marcel Massini can elaborate).

2) Ryalex, apparently he is/was a big car collector. Christie's auctioned off 20 cars from his collection in 2001 for $2.75M. Among the cars was a 1987 Testarossa

3) Homophobic and racist comments have no place on this forum.

9. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

#9 yasmin, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True, it drags the site down a notch.

Interesting list. It doesn't answer the Dino question, though - I'm sure he bought and sold a lot of cars.

11. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Checkout the Dino register. He is registered as a prior owner of chassis no 03300; a Red 72 gt.

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, they've only known him for a few years now - after this auction where he sold all of his cars off!

13. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

No he didn't sell 'all' his cars. He sold 20 of his collection. A further 10 did not go to auction because he wanted to keep them.
    Elton is a known 'car person'; you don't need to go far on Google to find more info on cars he has owned, sold and given to charity etc

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There's no notation on the photo of any copyright, althoough that's not a requirement on the internet. It has a link to email it anywhere you want, and it's posted on a public photo gallery. Interestingly, if you hold your cursor over the picture, the copyright information appears. (Which I did not initially notice.)

I'm pretty careful about what I post from other websites, I expected MSN (a Microsoft company) to be equally careful and not post a picture to share (as indicated by the "email it" link) that had the potential for copyright infringement.

THEIR TOS AGREEMENT FOR THIS PORTION OF THE WEBSITE STATES,

You may be able to submit materials for use in connection with the service. Except for material that we license to you, we do not claim ownership of the materials you post or otherwise provide to us related to the service (called a “submission”). However, by posting or otherwise providing your submission, you are granting to the public free permission to:

use, copy, distribute, display, publish and modify your submission, each in connection with the service;
    publish your name in connection with your submission; and
    grant these permissions to other persons.

http://tou.live.com/en-us/default.aspx?HTTP_HOST=tou.live.com&url=/en-us

There's a lot of gray area with this stuff, but the TOS agreement seems to cover it pretty completely. I wonder if EVERY original picture posted on the internet is copyrighted by definition. PAGING WHART!!

ARE YOU OUT THERE BILL???

Dave M.

15. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    If memory serves, I believe a former Elton John 512 TR was listed in the Dupont Registry not long ago. Red / Tan. Right Hand Drive with only 2000 or so kilo's on the clock.

When I lived in Atlanta, he had / has a Buckhead penthouse. I saw him driving around in Bentley Convertible a few times. He had also donated a HUGE display of art work and furniture from his home to the Atlanta Fine art museum.

16. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Apparently (in the UK) he auctioned his cars and then later his memorobilia and wardrobe etc to make way for more of his growing art collection.

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What's crazy is that you can sell all those cars on that site you linked, get $3mm for them, and then go and spend that on one 3 foot painting!

I'd take the cars!

18. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

I totally agree...

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Looks like he thinned out the lesser cars with the possible exception on the A-M's. Does anyone see themselves even thinking about a jag supplanting their Dino's parking space?
    (obligatory comment on Dinos to bring this thread back to the 206/246 forum)

20. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Leave the Religous ideals in the P&R section or you'll get a time out.

21. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Someone has to find a photo of Keith Moon and his Dino!

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dino 03896 hasn't been seen in ages, but oddly enough is the same Blue Chiaro color that OMGJON is selecting to paint his restoration.

23. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    www.dictionary.com

Show Spelled Pronunciation[pyoo-er-il, -uh-rahyl, pyoor-il, -ahyl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective
    1. of or pertaining to a child or to childhood.
    2. childishly foolish; immature or trivial: a puerile piece of writing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1650–60; < L puer&#299;lis boyish, equiv. to puer boy + -&#299;lis -ile]

24. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Yeah that poop chute remark was really the Christian thing to say there huh?

25. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Since Bill hasn't answered, I thought I'd chip in.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Copyright#Federal_Statutes

As I understand it, a copyright always exists (in the US, not sure about international law) when an original work is created (photographs, writings, videos, songs, etc) whether the work is registered or the copyright is explicitly asserted. So the answer to your question is "yes" in the US.

However, the copyright holder can provide a license to its use or distribution. So that part depends on what happened when the copyright holder first posted their photo. If it went out with a "feel free to use this" message, then the copyright holder still owns the copyright, but they have allowed anyone to use it or repost it. If they put restrictions on it, "copyright owned by XYZ, do not copy", then no license was given (other than the implicit license to the posting site) and it should not be re-distributed. If nothing was asserted at the time of posting, then no license is granted unless the TOS covers the question. I don't know what happens when the TOS and the user's assertion conflict (e.g. the TOS says, anything you post can be freely re-distributed as a condition of service, while the photographer asserts restricted copyrights on the posted photo).