Any beaters about? | FerrariChat

Any beaters about?

Discussion in '206/246' started by open roads, Jul 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I'd like to get started. I remember when they were $35K and I didn't have it.
    Then I remember a $50K car when they were trading for 70 and there was talk of the $100,000.00 Dino. Oh well, you know the rest.

I've always loved them and wanted one but now they are up where other things come to mind.

Seriously, the low end appears to be about $100K if you can get one for that.

Then you ask yourself, can this car be worth as much as, say a perfect Porsche 993 Turbo or even a Turbo S. The answer of course is yes it can.

Dino or Challenge Stadale? Hmmmm.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I know of a perfectly ok Dino, needs brakes, gonna need paint 2-3 yrs, and needs an interior kit, for under $100K.

I'm waiting on compression numbers and some other odds and ends, but from what I'm told it's a serviceable car.

GT of course. Euro spec. 1970.

3. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Thats what I'm talking about.

I'd like to hear more.

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    There is a bargain Dino beater project car parked in a field somewhere. It is parked right next to the $300 Chevy Impala SS, the $7500 1970 Maserati Ghibli, the $3500 1958 fuel injected Corvette, the $2500 1965 Chevy Impala SS convertible, and a few other cars that I didn't buy "at the time" because they were TOO expensive.

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

GONE!!

$80K+

6. leggs

leggs Karting

Apr 5, 2007
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Full Name:
    Matthew Rapoport
    I saw one on ebay the other day for $39.5, now the listing is gone. Most likely a scam. Oh well.

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Yep. Thats the kind of car that would interest me. Nice driver. Not too expensive. Otherwise I'm heading for a different car.

Nice to know that there are still some below $100K.

Of course if there is any kind of recession coming? Then cash is king.

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i think you are going to find it hard to find any car below $100k, this one may be an anomoly. the dino is rising (maybe peaked, but i don't think so), but any seller is going to hold out for more money than the car is probably worth, even if the car needs a lot of stuff. trust me, cheap cars are long gone.

i remember walking away from a driver gts at $35k and buying a testarossa. i remember when i could have tradede the testarossa even for a driver dino. i still have a testarossa. trust me, i would entertain trades all day long for a dino today. simply put, it ain't happening.

with GREAT gts's trading near and over the $200k mark, it is hard to justify sub $100k pricing. even the coupes (which there are nearly twice as many of) aren't cheap. with the weak dollar, i expect you will see coupes flee the us to europe. europe has a stronger demand for coupes than spyders, the dollar is weak, and these cars are now reflecting in the european "asking prices".

even given the changes in china and india, russia is also silently sucking cars away from the us. i am not saying that the dino is about to jump in price, but i beleive the market for the older ferrari's is strengthening, regardless of the us economy.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Challenge Stradale, well sorted out, accident free from well know owners. Bargain priced under many Dinos as Roy cuts his comissions down
    http://www.catsexotics.com/used_inventory.htm?reset=InventoryListing

10. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    #11 sranderson, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    sranderson,

Is that at Elizabeth, NJ? It looks just like one I saw there a few years ago. It was parked right next to a yellow 330 GT 2+2 S1 in the same condition.

Regards,

Art S.

12. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I agree with this!! Cars are not an investment 99.9998% of the time

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    do you have more photos of this car or larger images?

14. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    Sorry, only ones I have

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    wspeer,

Those pictures were taken at Classic Coach in Elizabeth www.ccferrari.com a few years ago. I don't know if they are still there but there was an exotic car junk yard out back where these pictures were taken. At one point the 330 and the Dino (both without drivetrains) were parked out in the front parking lot along the street!

Regards,

Art S.

If you want pictures, ask the guys in the NY section, I'd guess that some of them must have taken pictures.

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    thanks!!!

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#18 dm_n_stuff, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    By the way,

Forget 6 lane highways, notice the 6 track train line :) . That's the NE Coridor - busiest train line in the US. Taking the train to NYC through NJ you will see the exotic car junkyard about a minute before you pull into either Elisabeth or Rahway stations (I don't remember which one at the moment).

There used to be several Maseratis including a Ghibli, at least one Lambo Espada, and various other high end euro sedans (saloons) in addition to the aforementined Ferraris in it. I have not gone by in a few years, not have I been to the shop recently so I don't know what's there now.

Regardss,

Art S.

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    ,y biggest fasciation is there are so few photo's of rusted out carcuses of ferrari's . sure they have never been cheap, but i know they are out ther, just look at what tom turns up.

dino's are probably more likely to experience this than other 60's and 70's ferrari's because of their long held belief that they weren't real ferrari's. i am just waiting for period or old photos to be posted, but haven't seen any other than these and those in the anthony curtis book.

20. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Yes there does seem to be "stuff" in that airial shot. I didn't respond earlier to the Dino pictures because it was identified as an old photo. Knowing what I know about rust, and seeing those photos, and knowing that there is no drivetrain, a guy would have to be nuts to get involved with it.

Oh heck, I think I'll give them a call next week.

It is a Euro GT after all and I think there's a Dino motor in FML.

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Stan,

Actually, the Dino drivetrain was stored inside, I saw it. The Dino and the 330 were both being broken up for spares. Who knows, maybe they are still there!

I think it would be great to get that Dino running and take it to a meet in that cosmetic condition; I wonder what comments you'd get ;)

Regards,

Art S.

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I was thinking the same thing actually.

Show it the way it is. People love to see that kind of stuff. Possibly show the restored body shell with seperate engine/trans all shiny. It would be interesting in both states.

The problem with getting into it is that the guy who does it will be hopelessly burried in it as we all know. I am trying to think of what the goal would be if not like a complete car with all the right stuff. Something of a stripped out car maybe. I'm trying to picture it in some race colors. It's not the car I want though.

I know that a couple years or more into it I would want to go all in. It looks like a great money/time trap. I think a beater would be a better proposition.

I would love to do it if I can see where I want to be with it and it's acceptable. I know that showing it undone and partway would be fun. I think I'd rather be in a beater though.

23. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    I went all in on a car that was better than the one shown but still needed an incredible amount of work. I got in for $42K in '96 and thought I would always be under water/upside down. If I wanted to get out today (and I don't), I might just break even.

That being said, the cost of restorations has gone up and original parts are getting harder to find (repops are getting easier to find) and so you would need a long time horizon to make it right and break even.

Restorations aren't for the faint of time or wallet. If you want to save another Dino and time and money are no object, this would be a good choice and a good deed. If you simply want to restore a Dino, I would think seriously about finding a car that was less gone than this one appears to be.

My $.02

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes,
    well the fantastic photos in the leatherbound book you showed me last year on your restoration could have been a significant part of that cost (tongue firmly in cheek). Few would have gone to the far extent that you did to make every body line perfect and far better than the factory did.

As these cars are becoming recognized for how nice they truly on several levels, many of the "beaters" (as this thread topic alludes to) are being snatched up and being put through full restorations. Hence the love grows further and the desire will be for new owners to find one for restoration that they can go through themselves. This could be a major factor in their appreciation as the available pool of cars continually has a higher average quality than in the past.