Originalness question - splash panel mounting hardware: 6mm gold cad? | FerrariChat

Originalness question - splash panel mounting hardware: 6mm gold cad?

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Jul 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Can anyone with an original Dino confirm that the 1973 model (or any other) had its inner fender splash panels mounted with 6mm cap bolts in yellow Cadmium color?

I believe this is correct and wanted to confirm before sending them off to the plating facility

Thank you

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Consider what I say here suspect. I am going from memory and it has been quite some time. The Dino's that I see today have a very varied assortment of fasteners. (First, I guess we should be sure that we are talking about the same thing. I assume that you mean the splash panels in the rear wheel wells that are removed for engine access.)

I did work on the cars when they were new or only a couple of years old. My memory is that the screws were very thin headed, slotted, for a regular screwdriver. I remember thinking what a pain it was removing all the screws and keeping the screwdriver in the slot. I wondered why they weren't at least Philips so that the driver would remain centered. I am pretty sure that they were silver in color. I can't think of anything from that time frame that was gold cad.

Again, this is from memory and it wouldn't take much persuasion to convince me that I am full of it.

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I re-read your original post and it occurred to me that these machine screws were 5MM, not 6MM. The 5MM screws were often damaged and the holes got tapped out to 6MM.

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    My original screws were cad plated 5mm hex head. 72 GT. I had to re-tap out to 6mm. No problem since nut plate is large steel plate imbeded in fiberglass fixed shields. Stainless hex head bolts and washers are easy to handle and the right rear screws lead a hard life. Have to come out on every oil change and to fix anything belt driven. Don't think there is enough thickness in nut plates to hold a Helicoil so don't know how you would fix a stripped one to re-hold 5mm.

John

5. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
  6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My USA '74 GTS inner fender splash shields are held with cap screws that have a raised "LOBO" on them and are black oxide.

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    'sowest' in 2nd post from 2007 is right- low profile slot M5 machine screws (clear zinc), they are hard to find. Peter reported Dinoparts don't have them anymore.
    Same fastener is used to hold the removable front radiator vent panel.
    I'm sure many have been replaced after the first removal.

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If you turn 2mm of the head OD and buy the longer ones then it's close (also called truss head in US).
    ... hard to find correct original type.

10. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Exactly what I did 2 weeks ago.

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I sem to recall some controversy over whether these inner fender panels should be affixed by slot head screws or hex head bolts...

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Scratch the LOBO marking on the hex head screws. Once I got the rust off and put my glasses on the marking was "18" over "8.8".

13. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    It is a point for discussion for certain.

I referred to the pictures in the owners manual, specifically pages 86 and 89 which show the suspension with the wheel removed.

Certainly no smoking gun but a point of reference perhaps.

14. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The Scaglietti parts book (which covers the earlier cars) refers to these fixings as Vite T.c.b. M6 x 1. I believe that T.c.b. is an abbreviation of testa cilindirica bombata which translates to pan head screw. Perhaps some of our Italian members could confirm this?

15. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I had my panels off today and the front fixings are M5 and the rear ones are M6. My car is a 73 246GT and whilst the fixings are not the original ones (it has stainless hex head screws) the threaded captive nuts on the body tub look to be original.

I have a feeling that the original fixings were black slotted pan-headed screws. It is just the way I remember them from when i was selling cars that were 2-5 years old. I might be wrong. I seem to recall that mechanics often used to change these for hex headed screws (in the UK at least) because the slots became mangled and filled with underseal (all cars in the UK are undersealed), whilst the hex heads were easy to work with using a socket set.