Dino DIY - Exterior Mirror | FerrariChat

Dino DIY - Exterior Mirror

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Jan 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 synchro, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I read this thread
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137359856
    and noticed the new owner's comment, so thought I might try to be helpful here with some photos from my Dinos

ANSWER - It depends

First of all, since you have non-standard mirrors in place already, you'll need mounting position dimensions for your Dino mirror; please find these in the first 3 photos.

Secondly, once you removed your non-standard mirror, you'll need to inspect the mounting area as you could be in luck if the mounting plate is there. If so, then buy two 4mm x 16mm machine scews with oval phillips heads and attach the mirror to the mounting plate through the holes in the bodywork.

HOW IT WORKS
    My original mirror is mounted to a plate that sits on the interior of the door skin. The plate has three tapped holes in it while the door skin has one tapped center hole and two plain, drilled holes. The tapped center hole of the plate is secured to the tapped center hole in the door skin with a large screw bolt. This makes it easy in the future to remove/replace the mirror without needing to get inside the door.

Note: in the last photo, the camera flash washed out the center screw bolt, but look closely and you can see the inset for a slotted screwdriver.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well, this adds complications, but you must
    1) Provide holes for the mounting which can be scary if you need to drill through paint
    2) Remove the door panel
    3) Raise the window
    4) Reach through the open door interior with your locking nuts (nylocks) to secure them to the mirror mounting screws.

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Put a piece of tape on the paint where you are going to drill the hole and drill through the tape. Helps keep the paint from chipping and the drill from wandering. Drill a smaller pilot hole first.

4. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Thanks, Scott.
    I plan to replace my Vitaloni Californian mirrors with 'stock' mirrors, like those on your car. Your specs & pics will come in real handy!
    One possible glitch: The Vitaloni base is mounted askew on my passenger-side door; hopefuly, the existing holes can be hidden under the new base.
    Update to follow.
    ...and, cool tape tip, racerboy9.
    Cheers,
    Coop

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    After seeing this discussion ,
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372146
    It appears more folks just drill two holes rather than have the mounting plate?

Does anyone else have the mounting plate on theirs?
    It is a great way to quickly attach and remove the mirror without having to access behind the door card panels

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Here are some measurements in teh images to help you.