Vent window catch on a GTS | FerrariChat

Vent window catch on a GTS

Discussion in '206/246' started by Yves Delhaye, May 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yves Delhaye

Yves Delhaye Rookie

Apr 3, 2008
    France
    The vent window catches on my GTS are glued. But they are not strong enough and I am now thinking about replacing them by bolt and nut ones (84 Euros each).

I am wondering if the original windows can be drilled with no risk, or if I have to find windows already drilled (available at dinoparts.com - 120 Euros each) ?

Any advise will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    #2 Italian Lover, May 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As Dino owners, most of us seem to "enjoy" this vent latch coming off situation. Personally, I would shy away from drilling holes choice. I have not gotten around to "fixing" this problem in my Dino, but here's what I have with my Daytona, which you might consider as an alterantive. Hope the pics help. Good luck. Jimmy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    indeed the likelyhood of one falling off is directly related to the proximity of a car show. In fact the last show I went to I parked the car and came to it the morning of the show to see it sitting nicely on the carpet. The thought "how can the glue have failed again" comes to my mind until I inspect the part to find that it is the glass that's failed and a small sliver of glass is still nicely glued to the catch. Oh well now we used a different kind of glue which seems to be holding. Of course one shouldn't make the mistake of actually "using" them!

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I don't think drilling the glass is a job for an amateur.

I've seen a couple of other arrangements that work, including a metal strap around the window edge that the vent latch is then attached to.

There are a couple threads here about it.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2276883

I'd glue them on, then leave them unlatched. Worked for me the last 4 years. Rear view mirror glue is what I used the last time, I think.

Dave

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i had the same problem with the glass sliver. i would recoomend putting them in your glove box and forgetting about the issue - althought this isn't a concours competition answer

6. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I wrote a Saga about my fix.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123335&highlight=061001
    So far, so good. I actually use the clamps. I went overboard on the size of the glue area. I believe that just adding 1/8" of length and squaring the rear of the glueing area should do fine. Probably no need to add to the height. The triangular shape I used doesn't look too good but is sure strong. 1/16" steel plate and soft solder to a modified base should do it with minimum fuss and bother.
    John

7. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Ditto. One hard, fast rule we have is to never latch them, and new passengers are advised accordingly. Part of the Dino mystique!

8. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .

Do you know where I can source something like that? My window vent doesn't quite close correctly so the latch keeps popping off. I'm gojng to try to shave it to fit the window better and then install those latched you recommend. Thanks

CC

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My 2 cents
    I have owned a few dinos and got good at the fix

With masking tape . Tape a dime to the glass exactly where the latch base meets the glass
    Over tape 2inches in each direction.
    With an exacto knife cut the dime perfectly out leaving the glass circle exposed
    Carefully wet sand the glass circle with 180 to 360 or such
    Doesnt hurt to sand chrome base of latch either.
    The reason the adhesion fails is lack of teeth in flat surface areas
    Sanding installs minute cavities for glue to hold
    Re adhere. Mine came out fine every time.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Daytona has a metal striker, unlike the Dino's black plastic one that can be removed, re-profiled and attached to reduce latching pressure.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The fly window latch is a “Dino-ism”. Celebrate its uniqueness. :)

synchro likes this.
  13. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    synchro likes this.