A Farewell to #03000 | FerrariChat

A Farewell to #03000

Discussion in '206/246' started by vintageracer27, Jul 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #1 vintageracer27, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As much as I have enjoyed washing and detailing the Dino, I will not miss that most.
    As much as I have enjoyed gathering around the Dino and other vintage cars on manicured lawns, I will not miss that most.
    As much as I have enjoyed the smiles of young children when they see a Dino for the first time, I will not miss that most.
    I will mostly miss Saturday mornings when the air is still cool and nobody is really on the roads yet. Not just any roads, but the curving, undulating country roads of Maryland just outside my garage. Ideally, it is a qualifying day and a Ferrari is on pole.
    The view through the windshield and past the arching fenders is like no other short of a P3. The sound of the motor and exhaust in perfect harmony is intoxicating. The feel of the thin steering wheel and all of the feedback it provides. The acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear as the car hits its stride. The purity of beauty, balance, ability and form. I will miss that.

However, I have decided to move on and try something else. I don't know what that will be yet, but it will be old and it will have a soul. My family thinks I am crazy. I have posted on FerrariAds.com. Finally, to all present and future Dino owners, you will never wish that you drove your car less. Drive more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #2 Crawler, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
    Great post. Sometimes I catch myself thinking that I could sell my car, buy a Cayman S, and have something like $75K left over. Then I go for a drive... Nah, no way.

3. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very poetic Brian. I know the feeling. Seriously. Try a C4. The front engine V12 experience belongs on every serious car guy's bucket list. The Bang / $ is still one of the best ratios in the Vintage Ferrari world. Depending on condition, you could step right across and put a little in your pocket. The performance delta between the 365GTB/4 and C/4 is not much at all. Actually below 120mph its negligible. And the sound you will make on those Maryland roads might scare the B/4's back under their covers!

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Brian - sorry that you are letting her go. I own 3002 (and 2900). They moved down the production line together. Let me know where she ends up.

Jim S.

5. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    No! Say its not so Joe!

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  7. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Hi Brian-

I believe I remember your car. My memory is a bit hazy but I think I looked it over when it was serviced at GT motors when the shop was still in Laurel Md. I have great memories of our Saturday barbecues. At that time I saw your GT I believe you needed an oil return line. Chuck and I test drove it and it drove out very nice. I think Chuck and I came out to your house and we either picked it up to bring it back to GT Motors or we delivered it to you at you home. I just cannot remember which. But I do remember you had a nice place out in the Maryland countryside. That was about the time Chuck talked me into restoring mine which I have owned since '74. He sweetened the deal by allowing me to do most of the work in his shop- it took me about two years working on weekends. You may have seen it there.

Good luck on finding your next memory maker.