Who on FerrariChat said the Dino Tool kits are up to $10,000.00 USD ? | FerrariChat

Who on FerrariChat said the Dino Tool kits are up to $10,000.00 USD ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Sep 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
    I see the pliers appear to have a brightly ploished chrome finish in the small photos.

Shaughnessy had a good thread on this and stated the correct Dino has dull silver, clear cad plated.

See the second from the end in this thread's photos
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49475

3. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    tulip bulbs.....

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    #4 Drew Altemara, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The answer is obvious, isn't it? He made a couple calls stating he wanted to BUY a perfect no stories tool kit. Got told that could cost upwards of $10K, and that if he wanted one, the person he had contacted just happened to have one.\ available.

If I'm selling, that's what I'd tell him too.

Now if he calls and asks the same person what he'd buy a set for, the answer is $1500.00. :D

Dave

7. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    I would have to question the correctness of the spark plug spanner, pliers and the screw drivers.
    The spark plug spanner socket is too deep, the pliers have the wrong taper in the handle besides the plating and the screw driver handles have the flat sided bottom not the correct round.

8. StephenShoubridge

May 28, 2006
    West Sussex UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Shoubridge
    Unfortunately for me I still need to get a tool kit
    have a jack and bag but not the tools
    Anyone got a set, I would be interested in
    at a sensible price or will just do without

Stephen

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 synchro, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
    The high bidder has ZERO feedback and has only bid on two items, both of them are this sellers.
    Bidder just joined within the last 30 days

What are the chances this is an honest event?

PS - WAIT, in the last moments a bidder with private feedback outbid the zero feedback reserve met and went up to $5200.00

Oh my!

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #10 UroTrash, Sep 23, 2008
  11. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I'm shy the spark plug puller in my kit. Has anyone made a reproduction that is even close to being correct?

Drew Altemara

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ever seen the early style kit with pebble grain toolkit pouch in eBay #110302778246 ?

13. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    #14 4redno, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    The "L" series toolkit now listed on eBay (#110302778246) is indeed correct for that series of car. I haven't seen the tools up close but they also look correct. The kit is missing the spark plug wrench and the spare alternator/water pump belt but that's not a big deal. You "L" series owners need to step up if you want it because they almost never come up for sale. I don't know who the seller is and he is from the Pacific Northwest so I'm curious if he also has an "L" series car. The other two "L" series cars up her both have tool kits so PM me if you know who this is!

Cheers...Keith

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i wouldn't call this kit an "l series" kit.

yes, it came on l series cars, but also cam on early e series cars as well

none-the-less, it is a cery rare toolkit in comparison to the later toolkits, but then again, the l series cars are much more rare than the later series too

in all seriousness, this kit appeared in cars up until 1972

15. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    #16 4redno, Oct 23, 2008
    As with all things Ferrari, it is often hard to know the specific cutoff point for a feature or component of these cars.

The tool kit on eBay is an "early" Dino toolkit for sure. The illustrations in both the 206GT and /246 GT "L" spare parts books feature a tool kit which has the same layout and contents as the one currently for sale on eBay. However, the photos in the 206GT/246GT "L" owner's manuals show the top flap as having no liner and the one currently for sale on eBay features a top flap lined with white material. The one I have for my "L" is the real deal and also has the white-lined top flap but I acquired it separately from my car and have no idea what S/N car it originally was paired with (photo attached). I know for certain that an "L" series 246GT (S/N #00870) came with a tool roll which also matches the one currently for sale on eBay. Whether the tool roll with the unlined top flap is something unique to the 206GT or the first run of toolkits ordered for the Dinos is unknown to me. It would be interesting to see if there is a 206GT owner with a tool roll that is original to their car and which does not have a lined top flap. If you are out there, post photos of your tool roll!

With regard to the comment made by tx246 that the tool kit currently for sale on eBay is also correct for an early E series Dino seems questionable to me. In fact, I question if it is even correct for a Series II/M Dino. The illustration in the parts book for the Series II/M 246 GT certainly features the early toolkit. However, the photo on page 127 of the owner's manual for the Series II/M cars feature a Dino tool kit which has its snaps on a flap to the left of the tools rather than the right. Given that the tool roll is pictured in front of a car with bolt on wheels which is supposed to be S/N 01118 and is definitely not a prior S/N given the absence of knock-off wheels, one could argue that the tool roll for sale on eBay is not correct for a Series II/M car.

In closing, I know this is nit-picky, silly stuff to drill down into and so posts which make me aware of that are in fact preaching to the choir. That being said, I just finished feeding my 11 month old a bottle, got him back to sleep but could not fall back to sleep myself. I had to choose between solving world hunger, fixing the current economic downturn or adding something to this thread and I believe I chose correctly. For what it is worth, I got my tool roll over a decade ago and was just ecstatic to find an early, original example which had the flaps and snaps in the same locations as the one that came with my friend's car (S/N #00870). The question of lined flaps and S/N cutoff points didn't enter my mind back then but seems like something to churn on at least for now.

Bring it on...Keith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #17 tx246, Oct 23, 2008

here is the toolkit that was removed from 03510. it was a one owner dino that was bought by a fellow f-chatter in 2006. i bought the tools from him and he used the money to rebuild the engine. note the jack bag. 03510 is a lug nut wheeled car and came with a "typical dino jack" for the period and lugwrench. here is a photo of the now restored 03510

the toolkit might have had a longer lifespan than first thought.

does anyone lese have this type of jackbag?

17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The bag for my jack (04808) is similar, but black in color. It's been awhile since I've looked at it closely, but I don't recall it having the leather-grain finish. Also, although I bought the car from the original owner when it was only two years old, I never had a safety triangle. Were all U.S. cars equipped with them, only some, or perhaps none? Fred

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

they were supposed to have come with a triangle. the smoother vinyl bag is what most later dino's have. the vinyl will have a cloth backing that is either brown or red

19. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Can we see a closer look at the screw driver handles? How many indentations does the handle have?

20. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Speaking of tool rolls, one of the snaps on my tool roll has come lose (I have both sides). Any suggestions how to reattach, the stud on it is slightly bent but I don't want to replace with a new one since it has the original markings on the back/flat part of the stuff. Super glue doesn't seem like the right approach ;) Maybe if I track down someone with a punch tool I can get it to reattach.

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #22 tx246, Oct 23, 2008
  22. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #23 tx246, Oct 23, 2008
  23. a4redude123

a4redude123 Karting

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Alex A.
    The flap on my L tool bag is on the left side rather than the right, otherwise the same. wrenches are the same, except they say DIN895 instead of Gedore, which I beieve is the same thing. The top of my screw driver handles are round not flat like the ones in the auction.

24. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Thanks.

Looks like 6 indentations on the handle. Any writing on the handle?