Dino 246GT #05028 Introduction | FerrariChat

Dino 246GT #05028 Introduction

Discussion in '206/246' started by TKO, May 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    #1 TKO, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greetings,

Please allow me to introduce myself and my 'new to me' Dino. I bought #5028 earlier this year. Some of you may have seen it advertised a good part of last year. It came from Minnesota and spent most of its life on the east coast. Always loved these cars but never actually dreamed of owning one, especially after watching the prices climb the last 8 - 10 years out of my reach. I guess a few things changed, the planets aligned, and I have found this car in my garage. I feel blessed to be its care taker. It is a US spec GT with power windows and AC options. Originally 'Marrone' and Tan, but currently Black and Tan. I would call it a very clean driver condition. Recently got it back from a complete engine out service/reseal. They fixed multiple oil leaks, new coolant lines, fuel lines, new fluids, belts, clutch, plugs, wires, carbs adjusted, etc. Had a new steering rack installed as well. She makes beautiful sounds now ....

I already have used the search button hundreds of times and I am sure I will still have many more questions for this group.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. #Lennard

#Lennard Formula 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Zeewolde/Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Lennard
    Congratulations on this amazing looking car! Enjoy her :)

3. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Congrats and a nice looking Dino there. How's the tires ? Looks a bit worn. Maybe a new set would do wonders. Congratulations. w/ smiles Jimmy

4. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    I think I know about it. Its a very nice Dino i always loved the Gt if it is the same car I was just about to buy it when u did, my only reason not to was that i have a 74 gts flare and chair but wanted the gt to collect, u will love owning it and it will continue to go up if it is the same car, u bought it at a very good price(cant go wrong)

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Gorgeous Dino!
    Congratulations and welcome here

6. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Nice! Welcome, and thanks for the great pictures.
    Jon

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Congratulations! I think black with beige interior has got to be the all time most beautiful combination.
    Enjoy it to its fullest, and keep posting.
    Regards,
    Alberto

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I was near the former Schwing Motors showroom just the other day. They didn't sell too many Ferraris during the relatively short time they had the franchise (Baltimore has never been a huge car town), but I did know a couple of folks who bought cars from them back then. They were discounting the Hell out of them at the end- an acquaintence got a new '75 GT4 at what must've been cost- those were the days . . .

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    What a lovely car, I know you are going to have a lot of fun!!

10. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    #10 TKO, May 19, 2009
    Thank you all for the comments. Here is my first question for you guys. Has anyone replaced their seat belts? Anyone thought about trying to retro fit a retractable system? Mine are a bit tattered looking and the lap belt with the shoulder belt that you have to attach before buckling seems very awkward. Suggestions ... ?

Shall I bore you all with some pics covering the service? Some will show the headers that were powered coated. I also had that entire A/C system sorted out and hooked back up. No leaks and it really blows ice cold.

11. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    #11 TKO, May 19, 2009
  12. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Good job on the gas tank coating!
    It is perfect.
    I had heard Wuth re-issued the cream colored Schutz, and it's nice to see it being used properly in this application.
    Many Dino owners restore their tanks to a golden color, which is technically incorrect. That really is just replicating the fact that Wurth cream will bronze up over time from the heat and fumes in the engine compartment environment.

13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congratulations on your recent acquisition! I admired it in ads awhile back. One of my Dinos (04808) is 110 cars before yours--about a month's production, I would say. Fred

14. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Question: My newly installed steering rack is loose and not correct. We need to have it redone or to get another. Does anyone recommend the 'Fast 2.5 turns lock to lock' racks that are available? I have heard the down side could be heavier steering at slow or parking speeds? Anyone have experience with this? Right now it feels like I need to turn the wheel more than I should need to for corning at certain speeds but this could be just the loose rack.

Thanks,

Tom

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Tom, I believe that the rack in mention, probably from Superformance, is only the insides, not the rack itself. If you feel your entire rack is wrong, then you might need another one.
    Regards, Alberto

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #16 synchro, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    Look more like ceramic coating, I'll bet that's what you mean as Powder coating might not be able to take the temps. Gorgeous color!

Wurth had a 9 month outage backlog but they starting selling it again recently. If not I have a few extra liters.

John Haller, jh355 of Ferrarichat, is one of the few with all the parts to restore the Dino Rack, see my thread on that as mine turned out very nice.

PS - My Euro Dino is 05082, strange turn on your s/n!

17. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Beautiful car. I'm jealous. Did you paint the valve covers?

18. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    That's a beautiful car. I love the way you did your valve covers.

May I ask where did you get the black foam insulator at the engine fire wall?

/td

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looks like the Armorflex I use to replace all the OEM open cell foam..

It's an air conditioning product, used on big commercial chillers..check Johnstone Supply or somewhere like that, it's skinned on one side.

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    #20 TKO, Jun 17, 2009
    It is actually 'Dynapad' from the company that makes Dynamat. It is really heavy and dense, but got a bit soft as it was tightened down. We painted it a satin black to reduce the gloss and hide the lettering.

Tom

21. Nickrry

Nickrry Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    #21 Nickrry, Jun 19, 2009
    I fitted a fast rack to my car last year and it absolutely transformed the steering at normal and hight road speeds I can definitely recomend it. However at slow speeds and reversing it is quite heavy. For me it was a simple trade off, I spend most of my time at higher speeds!

22. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    Regardless of anything, the nicest looking Ferrari under 500K is the Dino. So for a good one in the range of 150 - 180, this will be my next purchase this time next year. Hope the prices stay this way for the next 12 months as I prepare to add to the collection.

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tom ,

Absolutely awesome car . Great color combination ! I'm sure you're lovin it . Enjoy .

jm2

24. hooner35

hooner35 Rookie

Sep 18, 2009
    Motorcity, MI
    #24 hooner35, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    You are absolutely right, John.

Tom, you always do it so right. It's beautiful!

This feels like a little reunion, you know what I mean...

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Is that u ?