Finding the Dino Chassis, VIN, Engine, Transaxle and PF body numbers | FerrariChat

Finding the Dino Chassis, VIN, Engine, Transaxle and PF body numbers

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Sep 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 synchro, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There have been several side discussions about the numbers stamped on/around the Dino, what they look like and where to find them. I thought I'd take a first shot at it and hope others would add to this thread.

The Chassis number is the most direct to be found. It is on the edge of the passenger's side engine compartment (bottom center in first pic) with leading and trailing stars.
    Here it states:
    DGM
    Dino 246 GTS *05702*

It can also be found on the rear firewall plate, outboard from the overflow/expansion tank. It is actually on a removeable panel that separates the rear trunk from the engine (note: last pic was added from different Dino because it was a better photo but has different numbers).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Sep 1, 2009
    CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE POST: s/b DRIVER'S SIDE engine compartment

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The VIN number plate is mounted on the driver's side door jamb and I've only seen them on USA cars, so it must have been a USA requirement.

Although there is a space for it, I've never seen an engine number stamped on the plate.

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #3 synchro, Sep 1, 2009
    To find the engine type stamping and engine number stamping, it gets a bit harder. They are located on the passenger's side of the engine block's top facing surface and are packed in among hoses, wires, and the oil filter. The Engine type stamping is located on the back ledge above the water pump while the engine number is on the same ledge but forward about 6 inches.

To gain good visibility I found that the passenger's side wheel and inner splash panel must be removed along with the oil filter, wires and hoses. You may have good results if you don't remove anything and just shove a digital camera in and start taking photos.

First, here is the engine type stamping.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, Sep 1, 2009
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 synchro, Sep 1, 2009
  6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 synchro, Sep 1, 2009
    The Dino body was designed by PininFarina but fabricated by Carrozzeria Scaglietti.

Since the bodies were produced at a different facility than the Ferrari factory then it makes sense that they would have their own number to track them during fabrication by Scaglietti. As with many Italian cars of the time, these may/may not be actual sequence numbers.
    Also, I'm betting the VIN/Chassis number was only assigned after the body was mated to an engine/trannsaxle. That would make these body numbers essential in controlling each Dino body during manufacture and keeping a good count of them.

Here I've found body number 2024 on both of the rear trunk hinges and on the driver's side coolant expansion tank mounting tab of Dino # *05702*. The coolant tank must be removed to see these.
    Perhaps the "S" in the S503 number refers to Scaglietti?

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

CORRECTION: s/b DRIVER'S SIDE engine compartment

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #8 GermanDino, Sep 1, 2009
  9. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Are you also referring to the chassis number found on the steering coumn pad?
    Great thread!

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent pick up, care to post a photo?

11. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    #11 Mark Shannon, Sep 2, 2009
  12. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    #12 Mark Shannon, Sep 2, 2009
  13. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #13 Jon Hansen, Sep 3, 2009
  14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #14 synchro, Sep 3, 2009
    Thanks, that is brilliant!
    Both fore and aft door jamb kick panels are 2024 which match the hinge and expansion tank mount numbers on VIN #05702

15. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #15 rynoshark, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Page 86 & 87 of "Ferrari The Factory: Maranello's Secrets 1950-1975" by Karl Ludvigsen shows two photos of 246 GT Dinos at Scaglietti. On the top center of the firewall panel is scrawled "1731" (Euro GT) on page 86 photo and "1682" (US GT) on page 87. The writing appears to be about 4 inches tall.

The chassis number appears in the 246 GT Euro photo on p86 but nearly impossible to read (05748?).

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This thread is seriously awesome. I hope it continues. Thank you, Scott, for such a thorough and visual explanation on how these numbers can be obtained.

17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Mark, my earlier Dino (03964) has the same chassis plate as your car. My later Dino (04808) has the newer style, sans cavallino. I was never aware of the difference until reading this thread and checking both cars. Fred

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Do you think it would be helpful to ask Dave M to make this thread a sticky?
    or would people just naturally search for it on their own?
    It seems pretty applicable for owners and those who want to be owners.

19. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Very interesting.

Does anyone have an idea as to when the Dino first had the chassis number on top of the steering column ? I wonder if these two events coincided.

Mark

20. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #20 celestialcoop, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Greetings Mark,
    In an attempt to answer your first question, let's consider a couple of things. If I'm not mistaken...and I could be...only USA versions have the boss on the top of the steering column, where the number is stamped. That's the pad that Jon Hansen referred to. Then, pull up the Dino Register & note the second-to-the-last 1971 entry: "S/N 02866 1st known USA version-titled as a 1972 model." So, it would seem that 02866, built in '71 & titled as a '72, is the likely suspect!

In an attempt to answer your second question, I haven't a clue. :(

Once again, we'll have to rely on our historians to give us more educated answers to both.
    Cheers,
    Coop

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #21 2GT, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    As Coop correctly points out, all US Dinos have the VIN on a plate atop the steering column. Therefore, since both my cars have that ID plate, it has nothing to do with the change in engine-compartment chassis plates. Could the later non-cavallino chassis plate have been a further attempt by Ferrari to distance Dinos from the V-12 "real" Ferraris? Since the cavallino still appeared other places on the cars (for example, on the US-only door-jamb plate), I doubt it. However, the inscrutable people at the Ferrari factory circa 1972 can never be made to reveal their secret thoughts! This will remain a mystery until one of our intrepid members unearths the true meaning. Maybe it was just a change in suppliers. Over the years, I have bought two replacement Dino nose badges, one from the former FAF Motorcars, and the other at Formula I Shopping across the street from the factory. They were made by different suppliers. I can live with the uncertainty, but if anyone knows why and when the chassis plates were changed, I'm all ears. Fred

22. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I believe Coop is correct. However, implied in several responses, but not explicited stated, is that prior to 02866, there was no such thing as a U.S. model. There was only the Dino. My first Dino 02832 was what is now referred to as a Euro model, and did not have the chassis number above the steering wheel. I believe there are Euro models after 02866 that might not have had the chassis number above the steering wheel. My current U.S. models, 2900 and 3002 both have this feature.

Jim

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #23 synchro, Oct 26, 2009
  24. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    #24 possum, Oct 31, 2009
  25. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jim, I thought 02900 was a Euro model... ?