need a little advise re fuel tank colour | FerrariChat

need a little advise re fuel tank colour

Discussion in '206/246' started by pk246gt, Feb 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    was there a standard colour fopr fuel tanks?

Have seen gold and silver...

paul

2. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    If it means anything, my engine had never been out before we did it. and it was a light gold/tanish color. also vincent latino of autoelite in new jersey(ft lee) has the correct color if you want to call him. But i just checked the photos and it was that tan-gold color. good luck

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    206 and L-serie are black original
    M- and E-serie tan-gold colour

never silver...

regards Matthias

4. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    thanks guys.

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Matthias, are the L series covered in fiberglass? Mine were, but as they leaked, I had to strip it all off. Regards, Alberto

6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Hello Alberto,
    yes, it original. Only with 206 GT and L-serie !!
    It`s a kind of fiberglass filler and painted black.

Regards Matthias

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you, Matthias! Regards, Alberto

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So, after the 206 and the L series, what is the material on the outside of the fuel tanks?

Some have asserted that it is simply an undercoat (at least one person says that a beige Wurth undercoat is the same, or nearly so) that has been painted, but that doesn't appear to be the case, and it doesn't appear to be simply painted over. I have been told by various old-school professional restorers that the material used was selected as an insulating surface to keep the fuel temperatures as low as possible, especially considering that the gas tanks are in a compact engine compartment (think about that for a minute!) to reduce the risk of fuel pump cavitation and to reduce the risk of fire.

I have been cleaning the outside of my tanks with gentle dish detergent (Dawn) which works great at removing the built up grease and dirt. While they have cleaned up a lot, they don't "sparkle" and there is what appears to be some staining of the surface.

I have seen some that appear to be a fairly bright gold color, but I am not convinced that is correct.

So,

1. What is the material on the tanks?

2. Is it still available?

3. What other options that meet the insulation/safety requirements but look period correct?

Mark