dino vs 308 | FerrariChat

dino vs 308

Discussion in '206/246' started by bertspeed, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    I would like to know what are the opinions on the ferrari 308 (carburettor,as is probably best comparison) compared to the dino 246, but only based on pure driving experience.The reason is the dino 246 was my ultimate car since childhood,but not being able to afford it I bought a fiat dino 2.0 coupe, which I must say has now pipped the dino to the top spot and I will never sell it.I have recently bought a very nice euro 308 gtb,which I would expect is an improvement over the dino 246 in most ways.however I`m wondering is there some "magic" about the dino 246 which I`m missing out on. I have seen probably more than a hundred dino`s (ferrari) over the years but have only been for a drive in one which I was considering buying but being a bit tired/rough it is not the one to base my opinion on.I`ve yet to put some decent miles on my 308 in order to get to know it ,but would be very interested to hear from some personal experiences.

2. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I found the 308 to be a little smoother, euro versions have more power and tourque. Cabin has more space but less intimate or its just that the 246 is an old friend. Prefer the 308gt4 to the gtb. essentially it's the same DNA

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've owned both a 246 GT and a 308 GTB (along with a 308 GTS).

Without question, there is a definate blood line between the two.

The 246 is crude compared to the 308. I found it to be something more like a car built in the 60's. However, that's what I loved about it. It had such character. No motor sounds like a Dino.

The 246 is smaller and the driving position is not as good as the 308 (although I liked it -- I'm only 5'7"). It's biggest draw back was some mechanical weaknesses (freeze plugs that weep, oil seals from the distributor that leak on the headers, alternators that easily burn out, a very weak 2nd gear synchro, etc). Many of these are already noted by other threads. But, 308's have their problems too.

I do think you need to be less than 6 foot to really enjoy the driving position of a Dino. The 308 is a little more forgiving. The interior is larger and the seats are more confortable. I personally prefered the gauges of the Dino over the 308 but it's not a big deal.

Honestly, I liked the proportions of the 246 better (I mean from a driving perspective, not aesthetic). I also liked looking out over the curves of the front wings -- something I see again in my F430. I think it's easier to see outer dimensions of the car than a 308 because of it.

A lot of liking the experience of driving a Dino boils down to if the gearbox is functioning properly. If the synchros are worn, it can be a bear to shift quickly and smoothly -- particularly in 2nd gear. Even so when cold, you'll have to go from 1st to 3rd and double clutch. The gearbox in the 308 is superior. Yes, the 308 2nd gear is still weak but the overall feel and accuracy is better. The linkages are superior also.

Steering is heavy at a stop but so is the 308. I think feedback is about the same but the Dino steering wheel seems to pick up every vibration in the car where the 308 seemed more refined.

When you talk about "driving experience" you really have talk also about creature comfort. If you're going to spending time in it, you'll be bombarded with all sorts of enviromental things.

The 308 is better in this area. My Dino (and most I feel) had a problem with excessive heat in the cabin coming in from the front radiator. Also, anything you placed in the trunk would also get to a nice warm temperature after a while. The ventilation in the cabin is not great but you can turn the fly window around and direct outside air in. In the 308, you have to rely more on the AC (which is also weak) and blower motors. Neither car is great when it comes to keeping you cool in the summer. You can really see their roots of being born in Northern Italy in that respect.

The 308 was harder to see out of. I thought the front pillars were particularly thick and in the way of viewing your line of sight at stop lights compared to the Dino. It's not a big deal but I did notice it. The Dino (at least the GTs) have excellent rear visibility with the curved glass going down the flying buttresses.

The 308 engine has more power but I really didn't notice much difference in overall performance. Both have similar brakes so stopping was similar. The clutch feel is different because the 308 is hydraulic while the Dino is cable. If the Dino cable is good, the feel is very smooth. If it's old, then it can be a bit hard and less consistant while being pressed.

I very much enjoyed driving both cars. To me, the Dino was just a little more interesting while the 308 was more refined and confortable.

If there was one more caveat to "driving experience", I would thrash the 308 more because 1) I felt it could take it and 2) it was less of a classic. So, I actually drove the 308 harder and maybe worried less about it. That also relates to the "driving experience" and is something to keep in mind.

Whatever you choose, both are very fine cars to own. I would own either again if I had space (and didn't mind sweating so much after going for a drive!).

-K1- likes this.
  4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    bdelp, thanks for that excellent comparison between the Dino and 308, covering performance, ergonomics, durability, etc. While I have owned Dinos for almost 35 years, I have only driven or ridden in a handful of 308s. I have had more experience driving 360s and 430s, which of course are in an entirely different league. I share your feelings about the heat experienced when driving a Dino in hot weather, and am glad that modern Ferraris are up to par with American cars in their ventilation and AC systems. The fact that you would welcome repeat ownership of either a Dino or a 308 speaks volumes about the value and addictive nature of these two modern classics. Fred

5. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    Agreed ,great reply by bdelp,I also feel the 308 more refined.I feel that the noise of the dino engine In my fiat brings something more special to the experience than the 308 even though its way off in performance.what about the handling comparison,is the dino for smaller country roads and the 308 for highways ?.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Thanks! I'd really like to get a Fiat Dino Spider someday too. You gotta love that little engine that could!

7. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    I am driving since 20 years Dino 246.
    For comparisons I drove only once a 308 with carbs and another time a 328 GTS.
    To be honest from what the car looks from outside regarding the size,
    I was dissapointed on the 308´s. The trunk in the back was never again
    so big due as on the 246 to the larger engines (kind of expected)
    but I felt also the cabin is not really bigger. Maybe it is because the roof seems to be smaller and door sidewindows have a bigger angle inwards?
    No question that the 308´s are havining improvements in all details and I know friends who
    bought their 328 new and are now with 200000km still happy without defects.
    Regarding driveability and handling I had a lot of battles against 308/328
    on race tracks as the Nürburgring and whatever distance they can get on the
    straight track parts, I could at least reduce it to zero in the corners :)
    I think the weight distribution is better and with the right setup on the supensions
    also the understeering is gone. I agree also on the unique V6 sound..
    Regards Nicolai

8. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Dino and Nordschleife, very cool indeed. any Pictures, video. Man that's got to be the way to go! With Vivaldi right behind you!

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you for your analysis. My experience on a 308 is limited, but I agree with all your points.

Unlike other posters, you have not mentioned handling differences. Are there any? I consider my Dino the most balanced car I have ever driven, and have also experienced a clear superiority over much more powerful vehicles in the twisties (particuarly curvy roads going downhill... Nobody can catch me). Does the 308, in your experience, reproduce that delicious creamy feeling of a Dino driving itself through a fast curve while you control the balance with the accelerator?

Thanks and Cheers,

Julio

10. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    As much as any track in the world, the Nordschleife rewards driver skill and car set-up as much as raw power (especially during public days without the main straight, though Kesselchen takes a loooong time in a small hp car).
    Sadly I only saw one 308 on the NS over the course of 13 trips in various late model cars (favorite was the Opel Speedster, with a small V6 it would have been my dream car), but at least that was driven pretty enthusiastically unlike many other newer ferraris, most of which were parked over 2 spaces by ferrari hat/jacket/shoes wearing posers.

Anyway, I the Dino and 308 GTB/GTS chassis are virtually identical (same wheelbase, track, overall design), so except for extra engine weight (which can't be discounted naturally) they should feel very similar. Of course the devil is in the details: steering rack, tires, gearbox, minute balance differences etc will all greatly affect the experience, but when I bought my 308 (without ever driving a Dino) I saw it as a re-bodied, more powerful, Dino at 1/4 the price.

+1 on the request for more photos/videos/stories of your Dino on the 'Ring please :)

cheers

11. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #11 Dino Club Germany, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am lucky because I live only 50 miles awy from the Nürburgring or so called "green hell".
    Normally I use two cheaper cars (we say "ring tools") for some fun there, one Golf 1 GTI and an Audi S2 Coupe. The Dino 246 is on of only a few cars which are nice to drive on the
    Nürburgring without any modification. Suspensions, handling, brakes are really fine and I am a little bit sad, that nobody takes the advantage to run a Dino 246 in historical races here to show all the 911 Porsche were the front is :)

The picture is the well know section "karussel"

Best
    Nicolai
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1- likes this.
  12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Great picture! I hope to be able to drive the Ring some day, and doing it with a Dino would be a dream.

What kind of times do you get?

13. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Lovely shot, thanks...green with envy!

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Wonderful photograph.

15. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Great thread!!!

I loved the comments by BDelp and the photo is awesome!! I love the Dinos!!

PDG

16. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #16 Nurburgringer, Mar 25, 2010
    Excellent photo! I bet the Dino's suspension soaks up the Karussel's bumps very well :)

Below is a photo of the only 308 I ever saw on the 'Ring.

Except for the comparatively prosaic motor (GM Ecotech 4 is still pretty torquey and does rev), I consider the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 to be the spiritual successor to the Dino. Not nearly as timeless in shape (I've dreamed of making Alfa T33 Stradale body panels for it) as the Dino of course and a rather sparse interior, but still subtle on the streets (moreso than the Elise, which I don't really love) and complete bliss on the track.
    Here's a little video made from one of my first trips to the Ring in a Speedster:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2221257423351405110&ei=V_GrS-XuJZiaqALh4YzaBg&q=edelbach#

Any other Dino photos/videos from the 'Ring are greatly appreciated :)
    Prost!

17. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #17 Nurburgringer, Mar 25, 2010
    Yes you are indeed lucky Nic, you lucky bastard :)

I've had some of the most fun passenger laps in prepped, caged Golf GTIs (local Karl K. is his red GTI is very quick, just ask Jeremy Clarkson who he passed twice in one lap by pulling off for a short rest at the Breidscheid exit :p ). A good driver in one of these is faster than probably 80-90% of the cars on a public day at the 'Ring. Heck I passed a 911 RS in a rented VW diesel beetle cabrio exiting Aremburg, 4-up!

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    With the 246 values higher and higher do you think the 308 ,especially the early carb/dry sump will be the next one to appreciate in value?

19. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    With the fiberglass body? Most definitely.

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This question is about a year late. Dino prices are generally down and 308's went through a significant price spike but are now down also. Spend some time in the 308 section and pricing is documented and fretted about almost as much as timing belts.

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think it's good that the prices stay realistic within the reach of real enthusiasts. They will keep them on the road vs in a gallery with speculators.

Freeman

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Thanks Rob,yes i do spend quite some time in the 308 section and am aware of the past values' history,just wondering where we go from here.

For timing belt fans i can highly recommend the 355 section!

23. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Interested to hear more about your Fiat Dino experiences. My 67 coupe is being painted / restored right now. Are you in US? Who did your engine work?