Ferrari? Fiat?? Displacement?? | FerrariChat

Ferrari? Fiat?? Displacement??

Discussion in '206/246' started by YOSHI, Jun 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YOSHI

YOSHI Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    #1 YOSHI, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does any body know if this engine Ferrari? Fiat?
    How to find for the displacement?
    I bought this one about 11 years ago by classified ad on Ferrari Market Letter or FCA newsletter (I don’t have copy anymore). When I asked to the seller, they said this is Ferrari Dino engine and it’s working condition but I didn’t make sure about that because I just wanted to keep it in my living room as interior. (seller was shop and they already closed)
    Now, I’m thinking to sell this one on ebay or something but I can’t find what is this! (I’m idiot…) I tried to compare with my Dino but no result, I’m not mechanic…
    Thank you for your help……
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Skogens Baron

Skogens Baron Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2006
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Now whats really the difference between the fiat dino engine and the ferrari dino engine? I dont know.. Is it a 2,0 or a 2,4?

What price are you asking? may be interested!

Best regards
    Daniel

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What you need to find is the flat pad on the engine block with HAND STAMPED numbers on it (although I loved all the other pictures, too!).....that will show what engine "family" it belongs to, and the unique engine production number.

Definately a FIAT Dino engine, could have come from either car until we see the stamped I.D.

A nice piece!!!

4. Skogens Baron

Skogens Baron Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2006
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Out of curiosity, what is the differences, and how can you tell?

sorry for the OT

Daniel

5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    correct, take a picture of the engine no. (a little left and higher from the oil filter, where the cylinder head starts) and I can tell you for sure.
    Regards Matthias

6. YOSHI

YOSHI Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    #7 YOSHI, Jun 8, 2010
  7. YOSHI

YOSHI Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    Hi.
    2.0, 2.4 - that's my question too....
    The seller told me that engine is late 60s if my memory is correct. I don't know if he was liar or..
    Thank you.

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Alloy block, 2.0
    Iron block, 2.4

I think that's correct.

The numbers in your pictures are part of the castings. The numbers that are needed are stamped into the metal.

9. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    #10 mikeyr, Jun 9, 2010
    What makes you think its a FIAT Dino motor ? could be either one.

Looks like a cast iron block, that would make it a 2.4. If its a Aluminum block painted black then its 2.0.

The numbers here will tell you exactly.

10. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    And there is no difference, its just the way they were put in the car and of course the gearbox is different but the motors are the same.

11. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    It looks like a cast iron block...which would make it a 2.4 litre engine. It's painted black, and I believe the Al blocks are not (normally). Also, there appears to be a bit of rust showing through the paint. The inside of the block, where one of the timing chains lives (your 1st pic in post #7), looks like cast iron. A real quick way to know for sure would be to see if a magnet sticks to the block. ;)

Before we go any further, YOSHI, it may be the "Monk" in me, but I gotta say it anyway. The cylinder heads and carbs are sitting backwards on your engine. They are facing the wrong direction. Lift the carbs & intake off, the water pipe "y" between the heads, then each head. Rotate all the parts 180 degrees, then place the 1-3-5 head on the oil filter side of the engine and the 2-4-6 on the other. The large openings in the heads for the cam chains will line up with the large openings for the chains in the block. Set the carbs & intake & pipe on so that the water pipe is at the oil filter/water pump end (front) of the engine.

OK, now that we've set that straight, we can continue attempt to solve the puzzle. The engine type and number for a later 246 should be stamped on the block on the top of the machined flat surface, immediately in front of the edge of the head (once you turn 'em around). You can see the flat 'horizontal' surface (again, in the left picture in post #7). That's right in front of the opening in the block for the timing chain, directly above the two vertically aligned bolts for the water pump. I can't see if it's there on yours. It may have been machined off if the block was surfaced. On earlier 246 engines, the numbers may also be stamped as depicted in Mike's picture of his 'Fiat' Dino 206 engine.

Now, if you find the type number, it will either be 135B (206) or 135C (246). While you have the heads off, you can measure the bore of one cylinder. The 206 has an 86mm (3.4")bore and the 246 has a 92.5mm (3.6") bore (in stock form).

Having said all that, I am leaning towards 'Ferrari' Dino origins. The oil pickup pipe, laying under the front of the engine, is from a 'Ferrari' Dino. I don't believe that the 'Fiat' Dino engines have the little "FERRARI" tabs attached to the tops of the carbs. The cam covers are from a Euro engine (not totally definitive, as all 'Fiat' Dinos and 'Ferrari' 206 Dinos are Euro engines, but that eliminates a US-spec 'Ferrari' 246).

OK, that's all for now; it's late/early and I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead! Hey, I'm just an owner/non-pro maintainer, so weigh this info/opinion accordingly. :)

Later,
    Coop

12. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Sounds like a "closet" pro to me, Mike ! Super ! w/ smiles Jimmy

13. YOSHI

YOSHI Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    #14 YOSHI, Jun 9, 2010
  14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #15 GermanDino, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Hello Yoshi,

this engine came originally out of a Ferrari Dino 246 M-serie. With early 246 GT`s I can be very precise. It`s out of #01214 +/- ten cars.
    Production October 1970.

Maybe #01216 / ownership 1978 until 1990 Jim LaFevers (Plainfield, IL, USA)

Regards Matthias

15. YOSHI

YOSHI Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    Thank you for your advise, celestialcoop.
    180 degrees ... ha ha ha.
    I'll check it out tonight.

16. YOSHI

YOSHI Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    WOW!!
    Thank you Matthias! That’s incredible information!
    Seems car was stolen ’87 and found it ’88. There are no information after ’90.
    Around ’98-’99, the seller wanted to sell this engine and transmission as $7,000 but I wasn’t interested in trans so I paid $3,500 + ship for engine. The comment of seller, “Ferrari Dino” & “Late 60s” were true. So, I [maybe] trust for his “working condition” comment as well (at least 11 years ago. But who knows….)

Oh, well, the power of internet is amazing…. 10 or 20 years ago I can’t imagine how to find these kind of information.
    Thank you very much.

17. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Mike - does your 206 have an 'N' number stamped on the flat plane above the '135B...' stamping? (ie, where the '135CS 000' mark is found on later engines)

Or did some of the 206s not have this marking?

Ed

18. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Answered my own question - all Dino 206s have the Ferrari 'N' number on the horizontal plane above the 135B 000 000 XXXX stamping on the vertical plane.