Under fender rubber...huh? | FerrariChat

Under fender rubber...huh?

Discussion in '206/246' started by HMB-Dino, Oct 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Mr Fiat has an item for the Dino 246 referred to as "new rubber bulk under fender for Ferrari Dino 206 and 246 GT models from 1967 - 73".

Does anyone have an idea of exactly where this is used (pictures would be best) so I can determine if my 246 has or is missing this? The inner fender panels for some locations have been replaced by prior owner(s), so I'm not sure if mine is missing something and if not, I know what to check to see if this part needs replacing due to age.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-Dino-206-246-GT-Rubber-Bulk-Under-Fender-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230340b2a0QQitemZ150378427040QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_947wt_917

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    not seen anything like that on the 2.0 but lets face it if the 2.4 really has it, yes it needs to be replaced due to age.

3. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #3 celestialcoop, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi RonG,
    It's the rubber trim/seal that goes around the edge of the removeable inner fender panels where they come in contact with the body inside the wheel wells. For ease of access, pull a wheel and look inside the well. You should be able to see a rubber 'lip' between each of the inner panels and the body/fenders. They are sometimes partially obscured by undercoating. You can't quite see the seals in the two bottom pics (courtesy of omgjon), as they are just inside the wheel arch. These should get you in the right area, though.

Superformance has them, too.
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-246/fittings.htm
    "246 Removable Wing Liner Panel Rubber, per metre 24604265 £5.95"
    Picture is on the left, below.

Another helpful site/source with picture and comprehensive list of most of the body rubber seals, scrapers, (except what you are looking for!)
    http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/246GTRubber.htm
    Ferrari Parts Exhcange (http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/) is also known as FerrParts (http://www.ferrparts.com/part_index.php?Veh=&Show=ToC&action=searchresults&sortby=partid&Veh=246_Dino_(1975)) - here in CA (Sacramento).
    Click on the site to see the description/price list that accompanies the schematic.

In case you haven't checked this out, go to
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106045
    for several lists of suppliers.

And, finally, Jon's (omgjon) extensive picture narrative of his resto(s) can be found here
    http://www.dinorestoration.com/

There is a ton of help avail here in this forum; as time permits, go way back to the earliest threads and read up. You'll spend many pleasant hours perusing the multitude of infomative discussions, and you will save many-fold the time (and money) if you do your homework!
    Also, use the Search mode. It'll turn up some gems from other forums, too.
    Cheers,
    Coop
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    #4 dignini, Oct 24, 2010
  5. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #5 celestialcoop, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    That's the missing link, dignini! We had pictures of the rubber seal itself, and pictures of the panels in place (seal not visible), but no pictures of a removed panel with the rubber piece attached. So, thank you for closing the loop. When we put it all together, RonG got the answer to his question.
    'proud to be part of the team,
    Coop

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    So it appears that if I remove the front and rear inner fender panels (the front ones appear original...they're thin metal, rears appear to be fiberglass replacements), then this rubber seal slips over the edge of the panels and then the panels are re-installed. Correct?

I assume the purpose of these is to minimize water entrance from the wheel well where the fender panels and body meet and perhaps a side benefit is reduced possibility of the thin sheet metal vibrating and making noise?

BTW, I tried a search of fender rubber and realized that those 2 words are way to common to be able to narrow it down in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, this forum is a life saver and wealth of knowledge!

7. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Does it appear that yours are there and functioning properly? As you can see from dignini's pics, they can be tired and a bit worn, but they seem to be fairly durable. They are often covered with/ hidden by (possibly several layers of) undercoat. Unless yours are missing or damaged and leaking, you may not want to disturb them.

Indeed, this forum is priceless.
    Coop

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I haven't pulled any wheels (have to move the Cayman out of the garage to have room, and weather has been terrible), but I can feel a gap between the inner fender panels and the body. The forward fender panels up front appear to be original sheet metal but in great shape, so I'm not concerned about pulling them out. I wanted to pull them anyway since I seem some light rust and I wanted to treat that, prime and repaint before re-installing them. Now I know they need this rubber too, so I'll do everything at once. The replacement panels, which appear to be fiberglass, also are missing this rubber, but have less of a gap. They'll get the rubber too for completeness.

9. Jim Maxwell

Jim Maxwell Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim Maxwell
    #9 Jim Maxwell, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
    I am in the process of replacing these rubber seals around the front inner fender panels as shown above in this thread. As I examine my original pieces with the old rubber, I notice that the rubber is actually stapled to the metal panel to keep it in place. As I examine the photos above, I think I see some kind of fastener on those rubber seals, too. Obviously, these seals get a fair amount of vibration and jolts. What do have others used to attach these seals?

Contact cement would be problematic since the slit in the seal is thin, so the cement couldn't cure without sticking the seal to itself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

10. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Mine too were stapled originally and what i did was to use contact adhesive but put the adhesive on the edges of the mouldings and immediately slot the rubbers in place hoping that the contact adhesive worked..........it did.
    Would be nice to staple them back but you would need an upholstery grade gun!

11. Jim Maxwell

Jim Maxwell Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim Maxwell
    Thanks for the reply. Those were serious staples, shot through a steel sheet, not done with your average stapler, not even your heavy duty upholstery stapler, which I have, since they were crimped one the backside like a paper staple is!

Jim

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Just drill the holes, if the holes aren't already there (?), cut a piece of wire and hammer it like a staple. Time consuming, but it works.
    Regards, Alberto

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This, they are stapled in place...someone in 308 Section was looking for the rubber profile just the other day...

14. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    #14 dignini, Nov 15, 2010
  15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    A question came up with a restorer and I need clarification. Are these inner fender rubbers supposed to be on both the front and rear wheel wells (front and back of each wheel well), or only in the front wheel wells?

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, on my 308GTBs I have never had the front ones out.
    Nothing important happens up there....

But I would think the sealing strip would be on all four inner shells, as it seals against blown rain water working into the interior spaces of the car.

Other Dino specific answers would be better, sorry.

17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I installed it at all 4 corners in both front and rear of each wheel well. But I'm wondering if that is `correct'.

18. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Well I am going to ask the same questions. do the rear wheel well panels have rubber around the edge?

Dario

19. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    no

20. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I love it short but sweet.....my job is done in the rear then. thanks.....

Dario

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thank you, Coop, Luigi, all, for taking the time to post. Very helpful.

Andres

22. EEMark

EEMark Rookie

Aug 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Charles
    Trim-lok DDA1501 matches my '79 308!