Replacement inner tie rods | FerrariChat

Replacement inner tie rods

Discussion in '206/246' started by mkeith, Nov 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mkeith

mkeith Rookie

Mar 15, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Keith
    I will be needing to replace inner tie rods on my boss' newly purchased Dino. Looking at the replacement part on Superformance's web site, it looks like I only get the rod with the ball at the end of it. It does not appear to come with the complete ball & socket that makes up the complete joint on a typical inner tie rod. A photo of the tie rod is toward the bottom of the page here: http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-246/steering.htm

Is this the only way this part is available? Can the socket portion of the inner tie rod joint be purchased? I'm afraid if I replace the inner tie rod with the part as shown on the web site, I'll still have play in that joint. Is that not the case? I'd prefer to not replace the entire rack as it is not necessary unless that is the only way I can get that complete inner tie rod joint.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    Are you lookinf at:
    steering rack tie rods
    part # fer 07005?

clay

3. mkeith

mkeith Rookie

Mar 15, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Keith
    Yes. I have slop in the socket where the ball at the end of that tie rod sits in. I'm used to that entire ball & socket joint being an integral part of the inner tie rod, which is then threaded onto the main body of the steering rack.

4. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I spent a lot of time researching this. I took my steering rack apart and was going to replace all the bushings,bearings etc. I broke the bearings and couldn't find a replacement and was then annoyed that I broke something that wasn't broken in the first place. Only it was...my outer tie rod was bent 15 degrees and had to be replaced. I am a huge fan of doing things yourself but I learned that this wasn't quite so easy. Keith in Washington turned me on to John Haller and he was enormously helpful. Before you do anything you should get in contact with him. he has rebuilt these and can clue you in on what the "replacement racks" really are. He is an engineer and you will be glad to speak with him. He can be reached at [email protected] the real deal...good luck

5. mkeith

mkeith Rookie

Mar 15, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Keith
    Thanks for the referral. I'll be sure to touch base with him.

When you took your rack apart, was the socket in which the ball end of the tie rod sits a seperate piece, or was it an integral part of the rack? IOW, would I have to completely disassemble the rack to remove that piece? If so, then I would indeed go for a replacement rack.

6. mkeith

mkeith Rookie

Mar 15, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Keith
    It looks like Dino Parts might have the pieces to make complete inner tie rod joints, but after having a chat with John Haller today, I think I'll be sending him the rack for this car.

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Wise move, be careful about re-made parts, some of the suppliers do get it wrong and the bits dont fit.

I suppose it all depends on the quality of the piece they are copying!!

8. mkeith

mkeith Rookie

Mar 15, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Keith
    John told me that Ferrari used different racks throughout the production run, & during servicing over the life of the vehicles, they may have been fit with different components than what had originally been on the cars. Therefore, he strongly recommends rebuilding the rack that's on the car.

Superformance sells a brand new rack with new rod ends for GBP 425. Does anyone have experience with this unit? That seems like a very reasonable price. I'm still inclined to send the original rack to John, but I know that my client will not like the idea of going for nearly a month without use of a car he just bought. Then again, when a part ordered from overseas isn't right, that can be even worse.

9. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    #10 daviekj, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Michael,
    I think there were different racks fitted on the Dino from new, but I don't have absolute proof. I needed a new gaiter form my late '73 Euro car so bought a pair from Superformance UK. The gaiters are the same on both sides and as used on their replacement rack. One of the sides fitted my rack, but not the other, mine was quite different. Ron at Superformance was only aware of one sort. Ron was great as usual and happy to refund. When I checked with Bob Houghton Ferrari UK, they looked at the rack and said it was definitely original to the car and said that different types were fitted to 246 Dino's. Within a few minutes he brought out a replacement gaiter. Perfect match. So you may want to check what type you have before ordering parts.

I don't have any photos of the rack when it was out of the car (one of the few parts I failed to photo grrrrr!) however, attached are some photos that may help you determine if yours is the same.

Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #11 synchro, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU NEED NEW INNER TIE RODS?
    When detached from the outter tie rod, the inner tie rod should not be floppy, lightly resist motion, and you should be able to push it and have it remain in any place and stay there.

Sometimes you can removed the peened securing collar and tighten down the cinch nut, then reinstall the peened collar.

John owns a medical fabrication company and has a real passion for Ferrari. He has stated that the steering items are some of the most critical to safe driving but are tough to access resulting in being some of the most needful to maintain.
    Here is mine before and after John rebuilt it.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Very useful information. Thank you all for taking the trouble to arrange the data and post.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Keep your car original and have the rack rebuilt by an expert, John Haller (userid: jh355)
    He has a great stock of factory parts and even the original clamps
    his contact info:
    STEERING RACK REBUILD: [email protected]

One of the many FerrariChat threads regarding his work
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/192248-steering-rack-leaking-rubber-boots.html