seat belts | FerrariChat

seat belts

Discussion in '206/246' started by pk246gt, Nov 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi all,

I'm in need of new seatbelts for my 1971 Euro E series: the car came without any - I think maybe removed during works and not refitted due to relatively sudden ‘estate’ sale.

I've researched the numerous threads on FChat (which are interesting) and I'm aware that original belts/fittings are not available, but what I really need is for some kind soul to post a series of images of what they - belts and plastic bit/shrouds actually look like up close so I have a visual template of what Ferrari originally fitted to the Euro E series cars around 1971.

From there I’m sure I can source/fabricate something that’s acceptable.

Can anyone help please.

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #2 4CamGT, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Paul,

"myfazzman1" (Peter) of Austrailia turned me on to the "Klippan" retractable seatbelts. I've seen these belts in other E-Series Euro 246GT Dinos and 308GT4's. They are still available for DeLorean cars. They have no Delorean markings. Here's a link: http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10094-seat-belt-kit-rh.aspx . You only need to order 2 sets of the RH passenger side. No extra parts. They come with the correct bolts. Left and right are identical except the RH doesn't have the extra wiring for the warning light. They will bolt right in to your existing holes w/o any modifications. Around $160 per seat. This is what I installed in my Dino(*03932*). I can take some images of mine when I get a chance.

Freeman

3. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Freeman,
    Good advise; I had had a look at the Clippan website; I just want to confirm if there was a general 'standard' for the Euro E series around this time - I thought that they didnt have the stalk with female end like the Delorean; ie thought they had the 'loose' lay type (sorry not sure what to call this type)

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #4 isuk, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Paul,

Here is the picture of the seatbelts for an early E series from the owners manual plus a pic of the buckle connector from my car (in a dubious interior incarnation from a previous owner). I'd have taken better pics for you but my car is currently in a paintshop around 200 miles from me. I think the rigid connector mounted to the centre tunnel looks like it may have been introduced at the same time as the GTS models?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #6 GermanDino, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Hello Paul,

originally Ferrari fitted Klippan seat belts with locks from Geypa (Lyfe-Lok II) in your Dino
    they look like on Ian`s example pictures
    the Dinoparts seat belts is totally different stuff

Regards Matthias

7. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #7 simonc, Nov 27, 2010
    I've just ordered a set from QuickFit SBS ([email protected]). Please see their email below:

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your enquiry. Please find below general information about our products and services.

As a seat belts manufacturer, we can supply you with two types of seat
    belts- static and inertia type. Both come as a period and modern style- please see attached photo. Modern style is with black colour webbing (for additional £11 any colour webbing from our range) and black plastic buckles with orange/red release button on top. Period style comes as a standard with chrome aircraft type buckle and choice of coloured webbing. Please note that under UK regulations, period style buckles are not suitable for cars manufactured after December 1972 and we do not recommend them for children
    below age of 11-12.

The prices of basic spec belts start from £27.50 for modern static, £65 for period static, £42.50 for modern inertia and £75 for period inertia. All components (like anchor plates, adjusters, bolts, etc.) are in black or zinc finish as a standard. For extra charge, you can upgrade to full chrome version. Such a belt will cost you approximately £70 for modern and £105-£130 for period style depending on specification. We also refurbish old seat belts- i.e. cost of changing the webbing is £27.50. Please note that above prices are without VAT, P&P charges and per single belt only.

If you could specify what type of belts you are looking for, I will prepare exact quotation for your order. If you are interested in any particular colour from our webbing range, please provide me with your postal address and I will send you some samples. Should you need any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0044 208 206 3520 or via this e-mail address.

Best regards,

Pawel Podchorodecki
    Quickfit SBS

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #8 4CamGT, Nov 27, 2010
  9. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #9 pk246gt, Nov 27, 2010
    Thanks to all,
    (I realised after the fact it may have helped to note that my Dino is 02424, a (mid) early E series?)

Notwithstanding the originality issue, I didn’t really want to use retractable belts as I find them rather restrictive at times, even in my daily drive.

The Klippan option looks good: Matthias, I tried to Goggle the “Geypa (Lyfe-Lok II)” but couldn’t find any reference – perhaps now obsolete? Can you elaborate on this please, purely for my interest. Does this refer to the (aircraft) style of lock, colour, or other?

I notice that the handbook image shows chrome locks and grey coloured belts whereas Iain’s locks appear black – maybe plastic coated? Was there a prevailing type/style and colour of belt supplied from the dealers?

One final question: was there any plastic covers or shrouds over the ends of the fittings where they bolt onto the body? Any close up images of any of these appreciated.

Simon, thanks for that info. I had had a look at the Klippan site and your info/contact details will help there. I remember seeing your Dino in another post but not sure what year you have - what style did you end up ordering?

Cheers Paul
    PS a few images of the car...not long now!

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #10 HMB-Dino, Nov 28, 2010
    Here's a picture of the Klippan covers for the rear mount point. A long time previous owner replaced the original seat belts in my 1971 Euro GT (01712) with aftermarket units, but held onto what I believe to be the original covers.

The current seat belts are fully functional, but I too want to get more original in style. Please let me know how the ones you've ordered work out...I considered ordering from Quickfit.

11. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No probs, I will continue to update the post until I get to the final selection.

Just waiting to see if any more info and images come in.

12. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, no more contributions, but working on the image in the handbook and comments received, I think it’s safe to assume that the static chrome aircraft type is the go (for my Dino at least), and the British supplier http://www.quickfitsbs.com/classic_cars_seatbelts.asp ( as noted by simonc) appears to be the simplest solution. These would be my choice ...if I could use them in my country.

Unfortunately in Australia the aircraft type doesn’t conform as a new or refit unless you have the originals (in which case they can be re-webbed and retagged, and are then acceptable to the authorities).

The closest alternative here is the static lap/sash black plastic with red push button and it looks like it will be these unless I can find an original ‘aircraft’ set to rework (this would be my first choice, so the hunt is on)

13. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #13 rynoshark, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
    Has anyone gone with the Quickfits? Would love to see some photoos.

I have the original belts on my 73 Euro Dino GT, but I'd like to upgrade to something safer and tuck away the original belts for someday when I decide to restore my car. The originals are Klippan, 3-point, non-inertia bels with the 73 Klippan tag attached.

14. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #14 nerodino, Sep 25, 2011
  15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #15 HMB-Dino, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
    Quickfitsbs gets their parts from Reflex Safety Systems. I need to have my Quickfitsbs seat belts modified and and since I'm in the US and they're in the UK, I'm trying to just get the parts I need so I can have the modifications done locally. My belts need to be shortened and shelf anchor plate changed to another so I can use my original Klippan covers at that location for authenticity.

I can vouch that the metal pieces are thick heavy duty chrome material. My belts are exactly the same as in post #7, but static 3-pt style.

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  17. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    If anyone is in need, I occasionally come across the Klippan retractable with shoulder harness.

When I can get them, I grab them up for spares, given the lifespan of the female portion of the buckle

18. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I definitely have interest.

19. Pooh-Baugh

Pooh-Baugh Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Greencastle Indiana
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interested as well.

20. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I'll PM you both if I get my hands on any. Thanks for the interest.

21. corah

corah Rookie

Aug 26, 2016
    The correct belts for a 1971 model 246 are Klippan.
    If you would like to see the set I just bought look on e-Bay
    ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1969-Klippan-Seat-belts-843760-Porsche-Ferrari-VW-/262566373301