NEW STRATOS (sort of) | FerrariChat

NEW STRATOS (sort of)

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Jan 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The March 2011 issue of Car and Driver has a story about the new Stratos that they drove - a project conceived by Chris Hrabaleck, an Austrian automotive designer (maybe he's a doodler - the article doesn't mention any other cars he has designed) and Michael Stoschek, the owner and CEO of a German automotive supplier. They originally met when Hrabalek stopped on a road in Spain to help Stoschek who was stranded by the side of the road in his 246GT.

The "new" Stratos was built by Pininfarina on a shortened 430 Scuderia. The car bears some resemblence to the original Stratos, at least from the side (but not so much from the front). According to the article, it can also be built on a 458 Italia.

From reading the article, it appears that Stoschek may own the rights to the name. He is quoted as saying "I won't become a car manufacturer. I am just keeping the copyright."

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    The new Stratos is featured in a number of current magazines. There is a thread elsewhere on the 206/246 forum on it, with video clips.

What I like about it is that it is small or at least looks small in the pictures and videos. Maybe the new Stratos is the new small Ferrari that we all have been asking for.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  4. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    The Strato's name is owned by Hrabalek.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Then Car and Driver apparently got it wrong - see the next to last paragraph of the article at Car and Driver, March 2011, p. 70.

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

maybe luca could use his spare time to find a way to bring this car to market? this is my idea of a proper sports car...just give me three pedals for this beauty.

this should be an engaging drivers machine. xbox forza 5 players need not apply:)

8. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Luca refused to build it. Hopefully new management will see the financial opportunity.
    I'll pay $500k for one.
    Here is the New Stratos site:
    New Stratos

9. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Put that body on a Alfa 4C?

10. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    No, a new Stratos must have a minimum of 500 hp.
    The soon-to-be-old 458 engine will work just fine.
    Oh, and AWD, please.

11. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    More horses and 4wd would be great. I think it was Ronnie Peterson who said that if, in 5th gear at the end of the back straight, you can spin the tires, you have almost enough power.

A 4C has 47 more hp and weighs 800 lbs less than the original Stratos. The heavier 458 engine would need bigger brakes, transmission, suspension, etc, etc. A lot of the fun of a small, light car would go away.

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The 4C is at once the the only new car that excites me and a huge disappointment.
    Plus; Carbon fibre, NO power steering, great shape, a minimalist interior and lightweight.
    Minus; Its performance stats, especially cornering and braking, as told in all the magazines is much much lower than the competition. How can this be ? I hope its because of poor tire choice.
    Also it was not built for mature sized men. You know; the ones that can afford a 60K toy.

I consider the 4C to be the Stratos continuation.

13. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    I agree with Peterson and I don't think it's too much to ask Ferrari to give us 1985 Ford RS200 Evo performance in 2015. And the Stratos curb weight is 2161 lbs versus 2194 lbs for the USA spec 4C.

Back in 1973, a 185hp Stratos or Dino was relatively interesting, given the most powerful street cars were under 400hp. Today, the Stratos' 185hp is anemic and the 4C's 240 hp is sad compared to a Subaru WRX, let alone an STI.
    It's not unreasonable that Alfa is low-balling the power of the intro 4C and will offer more powerful versions later.