Mousehair for dash | FerrariChat

Mousehair for dash

Discussion in '206/246' started by isuk, Apr 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #1 isuk, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Following reading the thread on the tool kit leather strap I contacted HVL in Holland http://www.hvl-autobekleding.nl/contact_information.htm and received an email back today from Henk. He also informed me in it that he has sourced the original machine to produce the correct material for recovering the dash. It's too late for me as mine has already been done and is back in the car but anyone about to undertake this task may be very interested. His email on the subject and a pic of the material -

"I have also the original mouse hair in stock at this moment.

Please read the text, look at the pictures and tell it to everyone who needs it.
    Thank you.

You probably know already that we develop,supply and make a lot of Ferrari upholstery and Ferrari upholstery materials Worldwide.

We always try to find the original material and we did find a lot already. But, if the materials doesn’t exist anymore, then we have to analyse the original material and develop it again with using the original raw materials. It’s not always easy and sometimes it takes more time and …. than we should wish. Now do we have almost 98% of the Original Classic Ferrari upholstery materials. We are very proud that we could make it possible to be a supplier of all the Classic Leathers and other materials. But, we are going on!!

After searching for Years and Years I found an employee of a Factory who did make Dashboard upholstery material for the Daytona and the 246 Dino many Years ago. The factory doesn’t exist anymore But I found the man who was making this original material. AND !!!!!!!! He had the original machine.

After a long talk we came to an agreement. We will be the only source Worldwide for a lot of original Ferrari upholstery Materials. The old employee did make some samples and we both did decide to do a lot of tests on the material. It came perfectly through the test and it is even so that it will not fade in the Sun very easy anymore.

It will not damage as quick as it did before, because of a better treatment on the raw material.

The materials in the Car industry are tested on the fading scale from 1 to 8. Normally it is between 5 or 6 for cars. This product came to 7 which is extremely high.

Please look at the picture and see the result. The small sample is forty Years old. This is the final product. This original material was made in the colour very dark grey/anthracite.

The Daytona/ 246 Dino Dashboard material is available now!!

The picture shows the material. The small sample is the original sample of 40 Years ago. The colour on the picture looks a lighter than original. This is because of the Camera. But I can assure you it is 100% original."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Wonderful thank you. Original material that won't fade away, has to be a winner!

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Any idea as to the cost?

4. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I am so "in" on this one!
    Please post more information if you have it, and thanks so much!

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I don't have prices but if you want more info just contact Henk via the link in my first post.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #6 Nuvolari, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have recently received this material from Henk and I can vouch that it is 100% PERFECT to original. In addition his service and packing was first rate and for sure the problem of unavailable and correct mouse hair material is now a thing of the past.

Price is about 165 Euros / meter and it takes 2m to do a Dino dash. BTW this is less expensive than the current incorrect mousehair on the market.

Below is a comparision photo that I took. This is a very difficult material to photograph but the photo should tell the tale. IT IS PERFECT.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I received a response from Henk about the dash material and then sent a request to order some and now I am getting no response. What to do? Seems he is not getting my emails for some reason.

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Try the telephone?

JD

9. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Same here on email
    Calling is ok if one gets the time right, then one really needs to confirm in writing what was agreed. A conversation started via email, should be followed up in the same way, methinks. They asked for my address by email so they could quote shipping, I have not had a response. I did get a response on an inquiry I made about seat "sponge material" then silence. Maybe they are busy.

10. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I think Henk works alone so it may take him a little while to get to all his emails after a day's work in his workshop.

11. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Call him, it's the best thing you can do: +31 344661610.
    He's perfect in English, German and of course in his own language.
    Volkmar

12. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Guys,

I just received my dash from the upholsterer newly recovered with the material from HVL (Henk) and can confirm that it is 100%. Colour, surface nap, and depth of the graining pattern are absolutely spot on. As an added bonus it is also much more wear resistant than the original (i.e you can rub on the fuzz all you like and it does not come off) and apparently completely colourfast, although I have obviously not been able to test that yet.

As for Henk, he is a one man operation so he can be somewhat hard to get hold of at times. He is however a pleasure to deal with, very conscientous, and absolutely commited to the accuracy and correctness of the materials he sells. My stuff shipped when promised and arrived beautifully packaged. Highly recommended.

We'll be posting some photos of the dash on the blog in the next few days.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

13. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    #13 dignini, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Just spent a good deal of time on the phone with Henk, very nice man. His English is better than mine! (yeah I know! that's not saying much! thank you)

He has many other goodies for Dinos and others of course. He confirmed UPS shipping to NJ at $150 eu so two yards plus shipping 475eu

He pointed out that when removing the old mouse hair, the sponge material often comes with it, which in itself is not a big deal, but the factory used filler to smooth out the deck and that filler often comes off with the sponge.......

also of interest and may not be on his website:
    Firewall material inside the engine bay
    Firewall material inside the engine compartment
    Seat sponge material
    Daytona chairs seat strips
    Original Connelly Leather material

14. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is anyone going to be buying mousehair fabric from him and lives in the Los Angeles area.

Maybe it would make sense to do a group purchase to discount the shipping.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

15. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Great idea. I'll PM ya!
    Cheers,
    Coop

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So, what makes this different from the mousefur dash material that Dennis McCann has. Dennis's was an exact match to the material inside my glove box.

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So, what makes this different from the mousefur dash material that Dennis McCann has. Dennis's was an exact match to the material inside my glove box.

18. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Anyone in Los Angeles interested in ordering the mouse hair as a group buy?

I called Dennis Mccann, his mousehair is sourced from italy. Not sure if had the anti-fade properties that HVL material is claiming.

still doing some research for making decision on which one to go with.

19. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have no idea how/why my posting appeared twice with the same posting time. . . .

20. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Yes.

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    To answer your question, up until this time there were only 2 options on the market:

1. NOS stock. Problem is that it will fade immediately despite being OEM correct.
    2. The popular mousehair available from many vendors. Wrong colour and thickness.

The stuff from Henk looks PERFECT to OEM but has modern fade resistance and wear characteristics.

Even if I had a roll of original material I would never consider using it compared to the reproduction stuff.

22. Scuderia Dino Torino

Feb 1, 2011
    Different batches of OEM and repro mousehair have been produced through the years with mixed results concerning fade resistance and originality match. That is why some feedbacks from owners seem confused/controversial.

Today HVL repro is the way to go, no doubt. Perfect original look from a one man company devoted to quality and customer satisfaction. No fading but if it will fade just a little bit it will look even more original.. :)

Many up-holsters/dealers, including some top names, still have other repros in stock (uncorrect but without real alternatives up to now). They will need to decide what to do with them.

Best,
    SDT

23. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If anyone is still interested in ordering mousehair form HVL to Los Angeles, I will be placing an order by next week. Just FYI.

Feel free to PM me

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  25. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    stunning Rob...please pass my compliments along to Paul also.

brett