Bad windshield washer pump | FerrariChat

Bad windshield washer pump

Discussion in '206/246' started by HMB-Dino, May 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #1 HMB-Dino, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got my wipers timed reasonably ok, but decided to see if windshield washer works (washer fluid bag empty from day I acquired car last Aug). Even though the car will never be driven in the wet stuff, judges might ask to operate wipers AND the windshield washer.

Washer pump makes noise but nothing squirts out. I removed all the Cavis washer hoses and ran water thru them from a garden hose...no blockages. Hooked everything up, but with hose ends not connected to the washer nozzles (wanted to rule out the nozzles)...nothing comes out of the unterminated hoses. So I'm guessing that the internals of the pump are shot and the pump just ain't pumping regardless of the noise it makes.

I suspect the washer pump in my Dino is original (made in France, btw), so now I need to locate a replacement. The existing pump clearly is not made to be disassembled (no screws), so replacement seems to be the only option.

Any sources out there? I checked Superformance but theirs looks nothing like mine (yet another thing that changed over various model years?). Mine is a 1971 246GT Euro.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Looks like it is held together with tubular rivets. You could drill them out and disassemble. You have nothing to lose if it is not working now. If the motor was shot probably not messing with. I had a NOS BCD electric fuel pump that wouldn't pump so I fiddled with the pump internals a bit and then it worked fine.

3. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #3 alhbln, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
    Prime the pump by applying pressure to the water bag, the sounds you have heard could be the pump running dry.

A possible replacement (although not original) would be the VDO pump used in early Dinos, BMW and Porsche, this one is still easily available:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Porsche-Windshield-Washer-Pump-VDO-92862807401-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f09762876QQitemZ270741678198QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2915wt_970

p.s. might be a good parts donor, a Transpar, though with a different mounting:
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/POMPE-DE-LAVE-GLACE-ELECTRIQUE-12-volts-/170638600571?pt=JG_FR_Auto_Pièces&hash=item27bada697b#ht_500wt_1156

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Foredit had the same (100% same) pump in their production. The pump operates by milking a rubber hose with a set of ball bearings. When that hose hardens, it just must be replaced.

5. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake

On my Daytona, which has probably not had water through the windshield washer for the last 30 years, I encountered the same problem. I found that the motor was fine but the small amount of oil lubricating the impeller shaft had hardened to the point that the motor did not have enough power to turn it. By removing the pump portion off the bottom of the motor (mine is attached by screws not rivets), I could easily turn the impeller by hand. Cleaning up the shaft and applying a drop of light oil cured the problem. As has been said, you don't have much to lose by drilling out the rivets and trying this procedure.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    McCann's has a Foredit replacement (same p/n as original), but at $250, I figured I'd look for alternative ways to resolve the issue first.

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Devide by 10 - as usual - and you'll get what they cost in Italy.

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #8 HMB-Dino, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Drilled out the rivets to investigate the internals. The impeller shaft moves very freely, but the problem is likely the internal hose. It's still very flexible, but it appears to be flattened in the key areas where the ball bearings are intended to squeeze the hose to force flow of washer fluid. (see pics). Perhaps this was from the lack of washer use over many years and the ball bearings pressing against the same points on the hose for so long. But I'm not sure where to find replacement hose of that small diameter and flexibility.

Is it possible that I can `massage' the hose back into shape, or is that just a humorous visual?

9. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Tygon hose may work. It is used as fuel hose on chainsaws and lawnmowers and is pretty flexible. Probably overkill but a repair shop for the above would probably give you a piece that short.

10. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Commercial roller pumps use silicone or simple PVC tubing, might be worth a try.

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I found what I hope will be appropriate tubing at Home Depot. It's the correct ID and although firmer than the 40yr old original, can be squeezed with finger pressure (ie, it's not rigid). It's fuel line for Echo brand chain saws or line trimmers and came in a 6" section, or possibly twice the length needed. I will try it out this weekend and hopefully this $3 solution will work as needed.

12. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  13. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    The pump for sale at Dinoparts.de looks like the VDO pump used on early Dinos. I'm not sure if/when they changed pumps to the one at the beginning of this thread but if you do want a VDO pump, they were also used on Porsche 914 models and so that might be a cheaper way to buy one.

Of course, you can't beat a $3 solution if it works.

Cheers...Keith

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The $3 solution was not a solution. The thicker OD of the Echo fuel line (about twice the original hose wall thicker) was too much for ball bearing gear to handle and it would not spin. So I'm trying the $0 fix...trying to breathe new life into the old flattened hose by letting it sit for a few days with a piece of 12-14awg electrical wire, which was a tight fit, fitted thru the old hose. I'm hoping that this will allow the old hose to regain its original shape, allowing it to once again allow washer fluid to be `milked' through it.

15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    $0 fix didn't resuscitate the old hose back into shape, so I gave up and ordered a replacement from Superformance.

16. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    that hose is of the type used by chemo pumps in hospitals and is special. I repaired a chemocal spraying machine used used at sfo to spray weed killers and found that not every hose material will work. try mcmaster carr, or research these kind of pumps on the net. I triea all forms of fuel, oil, hydraulic etc and had to order from the factory who designed the pump. Will call to look at some of your parts on your dino which I am still trying to make but need samples as per last visit. Do not be afraid to call me for advice or help as my car is some what apart and is very close to being all original, ie 71 euro #1532

clay

17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The replacement washer pump from Superformance works like a charm. I had to let it run for about 30sec before anything starting pumping...probably to build up some pressure. The mounting holes didn't line up, so I was only able to mount it with one screw, but it seems to be sufficiently stationary.

So for anyone needing to replace a worn out Dino washer pump, I recommend the alternative from Superformance. I think it's even smaller than the original unit.

18. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Has anyone successfully replaced the small pipe inside one of the old 'milking' type washer pumps. A few years back I bought one of the expensive Rutlands NOS Foredit pumps and now having cause to use it, find that the motor is good but it does not pump water, leading me to believe the small pipe inside has just gone hard with age.

I removed the seized Lucas type pump, presumably fitted some time ago, and have today had to buy another one just like it. Only GBP £12.17 !

The Superformance universal pumps that they sell for GBP £68.95 appear to be available elsewhere in the UK for a bit less:

KIT CAR CLASSIC universal windscreen washer pump 12v

Mark Shannon

19. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Mail the old tubing as a sample to a supplier, should not be too difficult to find a replacement.
    You are looking for "peristaltic pump tubing":

Watson-Marlow tubing

20. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    where do i find a nos transparmait pump like that have been looking for ages

21. GDoyle

GDoyle Rookie

Sep 12, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Garry Doyle
    My Dino 246 washer motor would run , but no water coming out , I had blowen the lines and screen squirters with compressed air . all was ok ,
    when the base of the pump came apart , I found a pin hole in the soft hose , the one thing that appears to have worked is a bicycle repair kit , cutting the smallest thin part off the patch and using the glue has sealed it , now it's pumping .