Dino Rear Windows in tempered glass now available | FerrariChat

Dino Rear Windows in tempered glass now available

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoLasse, May 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    It took seemingly forever, but I have finally received the rear windows from Sicurvetro in Finland.

I am selling them strictly at my cost, with no mark-up, to members on this forum. My cost, including shipping and importation fees were $1160 each, so that will be your price too. In Euros, that corresponds to only 808 Euros at today´s exchange rate.

They are located in the Chicago area, available for same day shipment if needed. You pay only the shipping cost from Chicago. Example of shipping cost to Southern California is $49.00 with FedEx Ground.

Will try to add some photos and other information when I get a chance, in a couple of weeks or so. I just thought I would let you know that they are available. PM or e-mail me if interested.

Lars

2. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #2 DinoLasse, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have looked at the glass now, and there is some good, and some not so good news. It appears that even very experienced aftermarket manufacturers underestimate the difficulties in making exact duplicates of original Dino items.

The good:
    - The glass is crystal clear, there are no marks, scratches, foggings or swirls. It appears to be a well made, high quality piece of glass.
    - It is very flexible, more flexible even than the OEM glass. By simply pushing on the ends of the glass, I can easily compress it more than 3/4" (19 - 20 mm), as shown on the photos below. This should make installation easy.
    - The Sicurvetro logo is placed in the same location, and in the same (slightly illogical) direction as on the original. It is very faint and discreet, and could easily be polished out, for those so inclined.

The not so good:
    Paul in Toronto (aka rosemeyer), has inspected one of the pieces and compared it to the OEM glass. My thanks to Paul for making the following observations:
    - The original glass is 5.6 mm thick while the Sicurvetro is approx. 4.9 mm, so it is definitely thinner. This difference should easily be accommodated by the rubber seal, though.
    - Of greater concern is the fact that the Sicurvetro is not completely flat in the center. It is, ever so slightly, convex. This is not apparent by just looking at it, but if you place a ruler vertically in the center of the glass, there will be a gap at the top and the bottom between the ruler and the glass.

I have spoken to Antti at Sicurvetro about this matter. He says that they took great care in creating exactly the same shape as the original, and that they would not be able to do them any better. The slight deformation is a result of the high temperatures required to form the rather unusual shape of the Dino rear glass. The only way to avoid such deformation would be to use a "two-sided hardened tool" to manufacture them. Such a tooling was probably used to make the OEM glass, but would be prohibitively expensive for a short run production. For that reason he claims that no other supplier would be able to make them any better, either. Whether that is correct or not, I can not say. In any case, I think we should have been informed of any such possible pitfalls or difficulties before we (I) committed to this order.
    Whether this slight derformation is a minor nuisance or a deal breaker, only you can decide. Take a look at the photos and decide for yourself. I have also included one picture taken through the glass to show that there are no significant optical distortions. At least, I do not see any.
    My own opinion is that the Sicurvetro glass is still superior to the other aftermarket version available today, which is said to be manufactured with laminated glass. Such glass will obviously resist flexing. As they are forced past the buttresses during installation, terrible things could happen. That problem should be solved nicely by the Sicurvetro glass. I am still waiting for the report from the first glass being installed, but I do not expect any problems in that area.

To summarize:
    A good, useful alternative aftermarket glass? Yes. Manufactured with the correct tempered glass? Yes. A perfect replica of the OEM glass, as we had been promised? No, not quite. Perhaps we can call it a partial success, at least.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Lars, it looks quite nice and alas, I understand perfectly well the ordeal...
    I tried my front windshield as soon as I received it and I am happy to report that it fit perfectly just with the rubber gasket, did not try it on with the chrome, as I'd hate to do it more than once.
    If the rear one flexes that much, it should relieve a lot of worries about installation.
    I would definitely purchase one, once it has been fitted to a Dino.
    Thank you for the brave effort.
    Kind regards, Alberto

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Lars, The photos are truly works of art! A very well-done project to assist the Dino community in keeping these beautiful cars on the road. Congratulations! Fred

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dennison International in Puyallup, WA has the ability to properly put the bugs on the glass, they do it for 50's and 60's vintage Ferraris and I saw the Saint Gobain one yesterday that is a match for the glass on my Dino.

BTW, I learned in 1986 on a visit to Modena that the bug has a year and month code of manufacture in each one

6. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    Pls, price including shipping to France for an M-series ?

Thx.

7. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    E-mail sent.

For other overseas members who may be interested:The shipping cost to France is around $71.00 with US Post Office Parcel Service.

8. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hi Lars

Do you have any more rear window glass for sale for the 246GT.

Best regards,

Jim

9. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Hi Jim,

Yes, I have several left. PM sent.

Best regards,
    Lars

10. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    Fortnately, some people are able to make repros.

Just in case, I know about a new and original windshield left for sale.

11. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Email sent!

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name: