HAVE OPTIMA BATTERIES IMPROVED, OR DO THEY STILL SUFFER FROM QC PROBLEMS? | FerrariChat

HAVE OPTIMA BATTERIES IMPROVED, OR DO THEY STILL SUFFER FROM QC PROBLEMS?

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Jul 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#1 dinogts, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    I just had occasion to review the following thread again:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124009&highlight=optima

Near the end of the thread it was noted that Pep Boys had pulled the yellow topped Optima's out of their stores because of QC issues. And, with the exception of Keith (4redno), most everyone who posted had problems similar to what I had with the ONE Optima battery that I bought. (Mine lasted 5 months, others were lucky to get 3 months out of them).

Apparently Optima was going to be opening a new production facility. Has anyone here had any experience with their current product in a Dino?

2. Milanoguy

Milanoguy Rookie

May 27, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Guy Milan
    I bought an Optima battery in January 2011 for a long term project car I'm working on. It crapped out in June.

Replaced under warranty but still.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Same old story, apparently.

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I was going over my journal for my MG TC (as much fun as a Dino, but in a different way) and happened to note that I bought the Optima Yellow Top battery still in the MG ten years ago. I even fitted my Optima with a plastic "tar top" cover, with fake yellow filler caps, to suit my 1948 car. How Optima could have gotten from that to a battery with a lifespan of three months is incredible. Those responsible should be shot.

My experience whe last two Optima batteries I bought more recently echoed what is already well known. Both failed almost immediately. What junk.

The appeal of an Optima to me was the fact that it didn't leak and seemed less prone to corrosion. What gel or similar battery brands are good for the Dino?

Andres

PS: Having noted its life span, I fear my MG's battery will now give up the ghost!

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It’s now 2018. I’m again considering giving. Do issues still exist?

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I find optimas hit or miss. I have plenty that only last what a lead acid does and 1 that died in less than 6 mons, then I got this yellow top unicorn that is over 7 years old still working great! I use optimas when the battery compartment sits over critical electronics like in vettes where the ECU wiring and ECU are under the battery. Other cars I use interstates from Costco! 48mon 100% return and cheap as dirt. I got 2 running my Ram diesel and it sees under 20 degrees F on routine ski trips and cranks over that Ram diesel motor perfectly.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’ve had only issues with the Optimas I’ve had in my cars. They die prematurely and you can’t trickle charge them with a normal trickle charger. My Super 7 has an Odyssey battery. It requires a special “Odyssey” charger. It’s a special situation that has limited choices. My VW Vanagon’s Die Hard lead acid battery is over 15 years old and still going strong! It always stays on a trickle charge until I want to use it. My Dino’s Interstate lead acid is over 8 years old (was in the car when I bought it), always on a trickle charge and never fails! No more Optimas for me!

Freeman

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, FatBillyBob, Freeman. That’s good advice.

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Just goes to show - OPTIMA batteries still suck.

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I've been hit or miss on optima batteries too. I won't be rolling the dice on another one. I use Odyssey on my collector cars.