Original Dino Owner | FerrariChat

Original Dino Owner

Discussion in '206/246' started by deware, Apr 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deware

deware Rookie

Jul 9, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Ware
    I purchased a 1974 246 GTS in July of 1974 when I was 27 years old. I still own it and you can do the math and see that I'm a bit older now. I had never thought about selling it because I was too busy doing other things and I didn't want to go through the hassle anyway. I only drive it 50 to 100 miles a year these days strictly when the weather is nice.

Recently a professional buyer found me and made an offer that I thought was inadequate, but I just wondered if this group thinks there is any added value to a one owner Dino. Thanks for your input.

David

2. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Having recently purchased a Dino, I can give you my impression as a buyer. I would not have paid more for a one-owner car just because it was a one-owner car. What I would have paid more for was a car with a fully documented maintenance history showing that the car was well taken care of and in excellent mechanical condition. I'd also have been willing to pay more if the car was in highly original condition with books and tools. You being the only owner might make those things all more likely to be the case with the car, but not by definition, if you see what I mean.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's all about condition. Restoring these is really expensive in a lot of cases. I think one owner is good only for the knowledge that it probably wasn't abused. But the final condition is really want matters most.

I had mine 15 years. I was the second owner. After 15 years, it was ready for a refresh and I passed it to someone else to do that. It's tough to give it up but in the long run, I think I made the right choice.

If yours is in really good shape and it's a one owner, that's a plus. But, the condition is worth much more than the number of owners. Even cars who get top dollar may have had 10 owners over the 40 years. It's not a factor IMO.

4. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    David, a one owner car is always interesting in original untouched condition for any collector and deserve a premium.
    What`s your chassis no.?

Regards Matthias
    www.dino-book.com

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    David: Matthias is the absolute guru master of everything Dino. He's the best and one of the most highly respected owners here.

6. deware

deware Rookie

Jul 9, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Ware
    It is 07858

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    We would need a better idea of condition and such to truely assess it. Where did you buy it?

8. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Is the car still green, and do you have pictures that you can post, green looks great on a Dino, and some shades of green are really stunning imho.

9. deware

deware Rookie

Jul 9, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Ware
    I bought it from a car dealer in Lake Forest IL, Knaus Motors I think. They were a Mercedes dealer and I was going in to buy the two seater of the day (don't remember the model number anymore).

Anyway my Dino was on the showroom floor and they had recently become a dealer for Ferrari. The salesman asked if I'd like to take a test drive, and I said sure. After buzzing around the suburb, I was hooked. I can't find the the original invoice anymore, but I do remember that it was a little over $18M (don't forget that's over $80M in today's dollars).

The car is the original color, a dark green. The link below shows the name of the color and the Dino shown looks like an exact duplicate of mine.

http://www.dinorestoration.com/resources/dinocolors/pictures/color017.jpg

10. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    dont sell it- too cool!

11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    gotta love a green GTS :)

To the original question, thanks for posting and great to hear of a one owner car.
    Agree with previous comments, "one owner" is built into the price since the car is more likely to come with all the maintenance records, original tools and manuals, and the opportunity to talk to the first owner. That's why the phrase "one owner" grabs attention at auctions, and it's easier to verify than 10 owners.
    Andrew

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    David, how cool!.......I know of only one other Dino, that is a one owner car.

I think that as such, you are able to provide a wealth of information on the condition of the car in an honest manner, and that, is worth a premium.

We have seen many cars, albeit 'fully restored', have all kinds of sins hidden under the paint, and if yours is an original, unmolested car, not involved in major accidents, and most importantly not left out in the rain and unloved, then it is definitely a car of major interest to anyone after a white elephant as yours is.

Play your options right, and you will have a high $ car. It would be great if we could see photos and provide you with the help if you consider it opportune.

Regards, Alberto

13. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Verde Pino Metallizzato, from my point of view another plus for a good price.....
    and it`s the original colour
    :)

14. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Lets say it, I would like to become the second owner if you are thinking of selling.

15. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    ditto ;)

16. deware

deware Rookie

Jul 9, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    David Ware
    #16 deware, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    To all of you who have shown an interest, I am contemplating a sale, but not right away. When I have a little more time I will put together all of the details of its history to the extent possible. One thing to keep in mind is that when I purchased the car, it was just a car for some period of time. I was very young and it took awhile for me to realize that it was different than a routine set of wheels.

The professional buyer who looked at it last year (for an hour or so in detail), said that it had most of the important little details that in my youth I wouldn't have thought very important i.e. toolkit, manual etc.

The only pictures I have of it at present were taken before digital cameras were invented. They're great pictures but can't be posted, so when I have some time and a nice day, I will take some and post them.

Soon after I purchased it, my wife and I drove it from the Chicago area to California and back for a family wedding. We took the southern route going out and the northern coming back. I had it looked at and serviced at Harrah's in Reno on the way out since there were only two dealers along the way, but it ran great the whole time. The only bad thing was that the national speed limit had recently changed to 55. I picked up five tickets in five different states along the way.

Since that 5,000 mile trip its rarely been more than a three or four hour drive time from Chicago. A guy named Roy Payment who owned a firm named Totoh was the sole mechanic for over 25 years. Roy at one time ran the garage for the Marchetti family Ferrari dealership in downtown Chicago, but he was a little too eccentric for that and so went back on his own. He eventually moved to California where there was more business. For a few years after that he would return for a few weeks at a time and work out of one his client's garage, which was a full blown set up as big as any car dealership would have. The last work I had done on it was in the Fall of 2007 by Lake Forest Sportscars, a Ferrari (among others) dealership owned by the Mancuso family in Lake Bluff, IL. That's about 185 miles from where I live in MI now. The invoice had the mileage at 26867 when I picked it up, and today it's 27286. Net of the drive back I've averaged 53 miles a year since then.

I don't want to bore everyone, but you have to realize that this car has been an integral part of my entire adult life. I don't have a close friend or family member that doesn't have a "Ferrari" story. I personally have dozens of them. They are legend and repeated constantly - needing no embelishment. We were all young and a bit crazy.

Needless to say I'm in no hurry to let go of that history.

17. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    That is a fantastic history and life experience. I love the 246, and have desired one for many years. The 328 was my beginning and my intro to Ferrari, but I know I'll land a 246 soon.

18. Strictly Ferrari

Strictly Ferrari Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    Wow !

Nice Preface
    When will you publish this ! Then the Moive

Best Regards,
    Al

19. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    David, While my story isn't as dramatic as yours, I can well relate to it. I wanted a Dino since I first saw a drawing of the original Dino Speciale from the '65 Paris Auto Show. In 1976, I purchased a two-year old Dino from the original owner. Having owned it for 36 years this month, it is an inextricable part of my life. The Dino and I have "matured" together, though the car has managed to age a bit more gracefully than I! Although I have a second Dino that I purchased 6 1/2 years later, I don't have the same attachment to it. It is hard for me to remember a time when I didn't own my first Dino. I understand your ambivalence about selling. One does not blithely sell off such a part of his history. Good luck with whatever you decide, and thank you for being such a good steward of such a noble automobile. Fred

20. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Keep it until you die. You deserve it! Then, let the lucky bastard you leave it with surf the Dino wave.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It sounds like he is asking you, and spent some effort to locate you......good ones are well north of $200K, maybe $225K - $275K or so??

Put up some detailed pics, there are expert Dino guys on here to help you....