Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 206/246

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: David Ware
Original Dino Owner

I purchased a 1974 246 GTS in July of 1974 when I was 27 years old. I still own it and you can do the math and see that I'm a bit older now. I had never thought about selling it because I was too busy doing other things and I didn't want to go through the hassle anyway. I only drive it 50 to 100 miles a year these days strictly when the weather is nice.

Recently a professional buyer found me and made an offer that I thought was inadequate, but I just wondered if this group thinks there is any added value to a one owner Dino. Thanks for your input.

David
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
Having recently purchased a Dino, I can give you my impression as a buyer. I would not have paid more for a one-owner car just because it was a one-owner car. What I would have paid more for was a car with a fully documented maintenance history showing that the car was well taken care of and in excellent mechanical condition. I'd also have been willing to pay more if the car was in highly original condition with books and tools. You being the only owner might make those things all more likely to be the case with the car, but not by definition, if you see what I mean.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

It's all about condition. Restoring these is really expensive in a lot of cases. I think one owner is good only for the knowledge that it probably wasn't abused. But the final condition is really want matters most.

I had mine 15 years. I was the second owner. After 15 years, it was ready for a refresh and I passed it to someone else to do that. It's tough to give it up but in the long run, I think I made the right choice.

If yours is in really good shape and it's a one owner, that's a plus. But, the condition is worth much more than the number of owners. Even cars who get top dollar may have had 10 owners over the 40 years. It's not a factor IMO.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Matthias
Quote:
Originally Posted by deware View Post
I purchased a 1974 246 GTS in July of 1974 when I was 27 years old. I still own it and you can do the math and see that I'm a bit older now. I had never thought about selling it because I was too busy doing other things and I didn't want to go through the hassle anyway. I only drive it 50 to 100 miles a year these days strictly when the weather is nice.

Recently a professional buyer found me and made an offer that I thought was inadequate, but I just wondered if this group thinks there is any added value to a one owner Dino. Thanks for your input.

David
David, a one owner car is always interesting in original untouched condition for any collector and deserve a premium.
What`s your chassis no.?

Regards Matthias
www.dino-book.com
Old 04-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

David: Matthias is the absolute guru master of everything Dino. He's the best and one of the most highly respected owners here.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDino View Post
David, a one owner car is always interesting in original untouched condition for any collector and deserve a premium.
What`s your chassis no.?

Regards Matthias
www.dino-book.com
It is 07858
Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Shawn
Quote:

David
We would need a better idea of condition and such to truely assess it. Where did you buy it?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
It is 07858
Is the car still green, and do you have pictures that you can post, green looks great on a Dino, and some shades of green are really stunning imho.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

I bought it from a car dealer in Lake Forest IL, Knaus Motors I think. They were a Mercedes dealer and I was going in to buy the two seater of the day (don't remember the model number anymore).

Anyway my Dino was on the showroom floor and they had recently become a dealer for Ferrari. The salesman asked if I'd like to take a test drive, and I said sure. After buzzing around the suburb, I was hooked. I can't find the the original invoice anymore, but I do remember that it was a little over $18M (don't forget that's over $80M in today's dollars).

The car is the original color, a dark green. The link below shows the name of the color and the Dino shown looks like an exact duplicate of mine.

http://www.dinorestoration.com/resou...s/color017.jpg
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

dont sell it- too cool!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by champtc View Post
dont sell it- too cool!
gotta love a green GTS :-)

To the original question, thanks for posting and great to hear of a one owner car.
Agree with previous comments, "one owner" is built into the price since the car is more likely to come with all the maintenance records, original tools and manuals, and the opportunity to talk to the first owner. That's why the phrase "one owner" grabs attention at auctions, and it's easier to verify than 10 owners.
Andrew
Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Alberto
David, how cool!.......I know of only one other Dino, that is a one owner car.

I think that as such, you are able to provide a wealth of information on the condition of the car in an honest manner, and that, is worth a premium.

We have seen many cars, albeit 'fully restored', have all kinds of sins hidden under the paint, and if yours is an original, unmolested car, not involved in major accidents, and most importantly not left out in the rain and unloved, then it is definitely a car of major interest to anyone after a white elephant as yours is.

Play your options right, and you will have a high $ car. It would be great if we could see photos and provide you with the help if you consider it opportune.

Regards, Alberto
Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Matthias
Quote:
I bought it from a car dealer in Lake Forest IL, Knaus Motors I think. They were a Mercedes dealer and I was going in to buy the two seater of the day (don't remember the model number anymore).

Anyway my Dino was on the showroom floor and they had recently become a dealer for Ferrari. The salesman asked if I'd like to take a test drive, and I said sure. After buzzing around the suburb, I was hooked. I can't find the the original invoice anymore, but I do remember that it was a little over $18M (don't forget that's over $80M in today's dollars).

The car is the original color, a dark green. The link below shows the name of the color and the Dino shown looks like an exact duplicate of mine.

http://www.dinorestoration.com/resou...s/color017.jpg
Verde Pino Metallizzato, from my point of view another plus for a good price.....
and it`s the original colour
:-)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Lets say it, I would like to become the second owner if you are thinking of selling.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Drew Stoddard
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto70_0 View Post
Lets say it, I would like to become the second owner if you are thinking of selling.
ditto
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

To all of you who have shown an interest, I am contemplating a sale, but not right away. When I have a little more time I will put together all of the details of its history to the extent possible. One thing to keep in mind is that when I purchased the car, it was just a car for some period of time. I was very young and it took awhile for me to realize that it was different than a routine set of wheels.

The professional buyer who looked at it last year (for an hour or so in detail), said that it had most of the important little details that in my youth I wouldn't have thought very important i.e. toolkit, manual etc.

The only pictures I have of it at present were taken before digital cameras were invented. They're great pictures but can't be posted, so when I have some time and a nice day, I will take some and post them.

Soon after I purchased it, my wife and I drove it from the Chicago area to California and back for a family wedding. We took the southern route going out and the northern coming back. I had it looked at and serviced at Harrah's in Reno on the way out since there were only two dealers along the way, but it ran great the whole time. The only bad thing was that the national speed limit had recently changed to 55. I picked up five tickets in five different states along the way.

Since that 5,000 mile trip its rarely been more than a three or four hour drive time from Chicago. A guy named Roy Payment who owned a firm named Totoh was the sole mechanic for over 25 years. Roy at one time ran the garage for the Marchetti family Ferrari dealership in downtown Chicago, but he was a little too eccentric for that and so went back on his own. He eventually moved to California where there was more business. For a few years after that he would return for a few weeks at a time and work out of one his client's garage, which was a full blown set up as big as any car dealership would have. The last work I had done on it was in the Fall of 2007 by Lake Forest Sportscars, a Ferrari (among others) dealership owned by the Mancuso family in Lake Bluff, IL. That's about 185 miles from where I live in MI now. The invoice had the mileage at 26867 when I picked it up, and today it's 27286. Net of the drive back I've averaged 53 miles a year since then.

I don't want to bore everyone, but you have to realize that this car has been an integral part of my entire adult life. I don't have a close friend or family member that doesn't have a "Ferrari" story. I personally have dozens of them. They are legend and repeated constantly - needing no embelishment. We were all young and a bit crazy.

Needless to say I'm in no hurry to let go of that history.

Last edited by deware; 04-30-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: John
That is a fantastic history and life experience. I love the 246, and have desired one for many years. The 328 was my beginning and my intro to Ferrari, but I know I'll land a 246 soon.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
To all of you who have shown an interest, I am contemplating a sale, but not right away. When I have a little more time I will put together all of the details of its history to the extent possible. One thing to keep in mind is that when I purchased the car, it was just a car for some period of time. I was very young and it took awhile for me to realize that it was different than a routine set of wheels.

The professional buyer who looked at it last year (for an hour or so in detail), said that it had most of the important little details that in my youth I wouldn't have thought very important i.e. toolkit, manual etc.

The only pictures I have of it at present were taken before digital cameras were invented. They're great pictures but can't be posted, so when I have some time and a nice day, I will take some and post them.

Soon after I purchased it, my wife and I drove it from the Chicago area to California and back for a family wedding. We took the southern route going out and the northern coming back. I had it looked at and serviced at Harrah's in Reno on the way out since there were only two dealers along the way, but it ran great the whole time. The only bad thing was that the national speed limit had recently changed to 55. I picked up five tickets in five different states along the way.

Since that 5,000 mile trip its rarely been more than a three or four hour drive time from Chicago. A guy named Roy Payment who owned a firm named Totoh was the sole mechanic for over 25 years. Roy at one time ran the garage for the Marchetti family Ferrari dealership in downtown Chicago, but he was a little too eccentric for that and so went back on his own. He eventually moved to California where there was more business. For a few years after that he would return for a few weeks at a time and work out of one his client's garage, which was a full blown set up as big as any car dealership would have. The last work I had done on it was in the Fall of 2007 by Lake Forest Sportscars, a Ferrari (among others) dealership owned by the Mancuso family in Lake Bluff, IL. That's about 185 miles from where I live in MI now. The invoice had the mileage at 26867 when I picked it up, and today it's 27286. Net of the drive back I've averaged 53 miles a year since then.

I don't want to bore everyone, but you have to realize that this car has been an integral part of my entire adult life. I don't have a close friend or family member that doesn't have a "Ferrari" story. I personally have dozens of them. They are legend and repeated constantly - needing no embelishment. We were all young and a bit crazy.

Needless to say I'm in hurry to let go of that history.
Wow !

Nice Preface
When will you publish this ! Then the Moive

Best Regards,
Al
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Fred
David, While my story isn't as dramatic as yours, I can well relate to it. I wanted a Dino since I first saw a drawing of the original Dino Speciale from the '65 Paris Auto Show. In 1976, I purchased a two-year old Dino from the original owner. Having owned it for 36 years this month, it is an inextricable part of my life. The Dino and I have "matured" together, though the car has managed to age a bit more gracefully than I! Although I have a second Dino that I purchased 6 1/2 years later, I don't have the same attachment to it. It is hard for me to remember a time when I didn't own my first Dino. I understand your ambivalence about selling. One does not blithely sell off such a part of his history. Good luck with whatever you decide, and thank you for being such a good steward of such a noble automobile. Fred
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Keep it until you die. You deserve it! Then, let the lucky bastard you leave it with surf the Dino wave.