correct radio for a 1970 dino gt | FerrariChat

correct radio for a 1970 dino gt

Discussion in '206/246' started by philt68, Jun 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    mine is a euro version...any suggestions?

thanks...

phil

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Becker Mexico.

It looks right and plays tapes.

You can also buy a version that takes AUX inputs for iPods and so on.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The correct stereo is a Voxson Stereo 8 NOT the Becker Mexico. Photos of the Voxson can be seen here:

http://dino246blog.blogspot.ca/2011/10/gift-of-sound-on-sad-day.html

The Becker Mexico is a good period correct radio but if you are after 100% then the Voxson is the way to go. That said the Becker is better in every way, has a good period look, and is readily available for reasonable money and has good sound performance. For this reason many people fit Becker radios as the judges do not seem to care either way.

4. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Thanks gents...I'm not a HUGE stickler, so Mexico will do fine...tapes? I can't wait!

5. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

Speaking of which, where could I get the one that hooks up to the iPod please?

Thanks

Phil

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Cool site, Rob. They have period knobs for Ferrari!

Andres

8. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    ok, i guess here's the next question-what do period correct speakers look like? they have them on that becker site, but i'm not sure as to shape, etc...

suggestions?

thanks, again

phil

9. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Most Dino's were delivered without a radio and aftermarket radios were routinely installed by the dealer with customer input. I would say unless you have proof that your car came with a Voxson you are not bound by it. Pick a period correct radio. If your car was originally delivered in Europe then choose a radio that has U and M station buttons as opposed to AM and FM station buttons. I am restoring a Euro glass 308 and this is what I did.
    For my Canadian 1971 Dino which is Eurospec I had the original warranty card for the radio which indicated a Blaupunkt US Frankfurt model 7639670. This would have AM and FM buttons since it was a Canadian delivered car.

Sam

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    87testa, can you post a picture of your Blaupunkt?
    Thanks,
    Ed

11. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Sam

12. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    ooh, that's good advice-i never thought of that...

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #13 Nuvolari, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    Original Ferrari documentation shows only the Voxson Sonar GN 104 as the radio of choice when purchasing a new Dino. You had the option of no antenna, manual antenna, or power antenna again supported by Ferrari documents. This is the 'by the book' answer however the reality of what happened to the car at the dealership is very different. Here are some examples:

1. Cars were delivered to dealerships without radios and the dealer either installed in house or sent out the car to a stereo shop to have a radio installed. That radio did not adhere to any Ferrari documentation and was merely whatever was new at the time (now making it period correct). This included the drilling of an antenna hole which in the case of the Dino seems to be in a number of different locations.

2. Cars were ordered with the Voxson and the radio was changed out quickly for a tape radio as 8 Tracks were on their way out at the time.

3. In the case of Canadian cars (we are talking here before they were imported to the US so this applies to a small number of cars), the cars may have been ordered with a Voxson and then when the car arrived, they realized that those radios used different bands that were European specific and as such AM and FM could not be picked up. The dealers only noted this when the cars arrived and took out the factory installed radio in favor of something that works in North America.

In the case of Sam's car I cannot know whether his car was delivered from factory or not with a radio but what I do know is that his Blaupunkt warranty card is signed by a stereo shop on Younge St. in Toronto and not by the dealer supporting the theory that his original radio (as I was told no longer with the car BTW but since replaced for a replacement unit matching the warranty card) was installed after the car arrived to Canada. Again totally normal practice for the time.

There is nothing wrong with fitting any period correct radio because the fact is that unless you have the ACTUAL radio that your car was delieved with, everything else is just a replacement. In my case I went for the Voxson but I am under no illusions that it is the radio the car came with, it is merely the brand and model of radio Ferrari documentation says I should have recived had I ordered the car new with a radio.

Fact is I'd take the sound quality of a Becker any day but I have plans for that :) The blog will outline a nifty, and totally reversible, update we will make to the Voxson radio to bring it to modern levels. Keep watching.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ excellent post rob. What do you know about voxson sonar radios that are stamped "Ferrari" on the metal casing?
    Thanks,
    Ed

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I can't say I have ever seen that. It would be cool to see. I have had at least 4 Voxsons in my hand including one I know was delivered new witha Daytona and have never seen the 'Ferrari' stamping anywhere. How did you come to know about this?

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Rob, I will email you a picture. Pm me your email.
    Also, is the voxson pretty straight forward to wire up? Currently have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt in my daytona.
    Ed

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Ed, please post it and we can all learn.
    Thank you.
    Regards, Alberto

18. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'll post it when he sends it to me. Ed is not subscribed so he can't post photos.

19. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Just to elaborate on your points Rob:

The warranty card for my stereo was from stereo shop nearby the dealer at around the same time the car was sold. This leads me to believe the dealer had a hand in facilitating the installation of the stereo. We do not know if the owner was directed to the shop nearby or the dealer looked after it. I believe my car was sent to Canada without a stereo as was common practise. Since I had the warranty card I thought it was neat to match the replacement stereo to the warranty card. I was fortunate to find a reconditioned unit in Belgium.

For judging purposes I believe as long as it is period correct it is fine. The judges don't want a Dino with a 6 pack CD stereo in it.

Sam

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    correct, no Ferrari stamping on the Voxsons...
    some Dino had Autovox Melody MA 363 factory installed, the cheaper option of choice
    :)

regards Matthias

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ansa quadraphonic was the radio of choice and was standard equipment!

Freeman

22. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very much correct, no need for a radio in a Dino........ !!

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    my radio, which seems to be stuck on the same channel is "willyouslowdown" Mk 1 model i must admit but genuine and reliable.

24. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    When was the Voxson Stereo 8 phased out? Would it still apply to the later 73 and 74 Dinos?

25. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    my 1973 246 GT #06856 was original fitted with Voxson Sonar GN 108
    early Dinos had Voxson Sonar GN 104 installed
    (see page 305 and 309 in the Dino Compendium, chapter 12.3 Radio and antenna)
    regards Matthias