trunk light wiring | FerrariChat

trunk light wiring

Discussion in '206/246' started by mar3kl, Jul 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 mar3kl, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I spent a little time this evening trying to get a balky trunk light to work, and it's raised some questions I hope one of you can answer. The wiring diagram shows a single switch that interrupts the ground to the trunk light, with the hot side to the bulb active only when the light switch is on. Makes perfect sense. However, my trunk has two switches, as shown in the photos below. One is mounted under the passenger side trunk hinge. It disables ground when the hinge is in the closed position, and is directly connected to the ground side of the light bulb. Mine is broken such that it's always grounded.

The other switch is mounted on the rear batchboard next to the latch. It has a single wire coming into it which is hot when the light switch is on, but pushing the switch in doesn't do anything, and it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the light.

So my question for you knowledgeable folks - is this a normal setup for a Euro E or did a previous owner modify it in some way?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The switch on the batchboard next to the latch is not a switch, but a power contact. It supplies power to the license plate light on the trunk lid. There should be a matching contact plate on the lid that this pin presses against when the lid is closed.

Brian Brown
    Patrick Ottis Co.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Any idea where to find the switch on the batchboard? Is it being repopped?

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    There are a few around, some nos, some remakes. Please pm me, I might be able to help you.

Regards, Alberto

5. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi Brian - this car should look familiar to you :)

That raises the issue of why the folks who designed this car's electrical system wanted the license plate lamps to turn off when the trunk was open, but I'll leave that be for the moment. So it looks like I just need a new trunk light switch, since its push pin has sheared due to repeated contact with the trunk hinge.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
  7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 synchro, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    To the OP, apologies for the hijack

A search shows several. We had JH fabricate a batch and he still owes me one but I'm not in a rush. He really perfected the mold, compound, and pressurization process
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216675&page=2

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @ motob, where can i get the power switch on the batchboard? Thanks
    @synchro, who is JH? Contact info? Thanks
    Ed

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  11. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006

I remember years ago seeing a concours judge or two grading cars down because the license plate light wasn't working. They had opened the trunk to see the light better. It wasn't until someone informed the judge the trunk had to be closed for the license plate light to work did they award the points for a working light.