Looking for Dads '74 246gts | FerrariChat

Looking for Dads '74 246gts

Discussion in '206/246' started by dr-champ, Jul 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dr-champ

dr-champ Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Ojai CA
    Full Name:
    Dana Champion
    Hello, and thank you for looking at this. I am new to this forum. I would like to find the owner of a 1974 Dino that my Father owned from app. 1978,9- 1982,3. He owned it in Ventura County, California. First of all I do not have the VIN. He bought the car from Del Mar Motors in Camarillo/ Oxnard,Ca. The car - a 1974 246 gts Dino, in Cordoba Rosa paint, with the chairs & flares package (tan seats,brown inserts). When he sold the car it had the license plate " FARRARY". The guy that bought the car drove up in a Dino Fiat, from the San Fernando Valley. I remember the day; my Dad lived up on top of a hill in Camarillo, CA. I was outside and could hear the distinct sound. I called to my dad and said " I think the guy is coming for the Dino";sure enough it was. I think that the Dino Fiat has a 206 motor. Anyway, thirty years later, I have available, the owners manual & chassis service manual abstract for that car. I listed them on e-bay yesterday for sale. I added a picture of the car. My hopes are that the current owner would have a chance of getting them. I am thankful to the gentleman that responded to my ad and directed me here. I have very fond memories driving that car in my early twenties. My Father has since passed away(1999). His name was Richard Champion, and was a member of the Ferrari Owners Club. Any leads on the cars' whereabouts would be appreciated. Thanks for looking, Dana... Ciao

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Good luck with your quest. This is indeed Grand Central of the Dino world.

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Your dads car is 05530

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    2005 it must have been with somebody in Great Britain, maybe still there.....

6. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Cool!!

7. dr-champ

dr-champ Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Ojai CA
    Full Name:
    Dana Champion
    Thanks very much for the information. The cars location is still unknown, but it looks like it has made it back to Europe.The plot thickens.Any other leads would be cool. At this point I think I can say I've put it out there in the Ferrari universe.Cheers to the "Prancing Horse of Maranello". Ciao, Dana

8. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Good luck. Let us know when you find some more info on the car's whereabouts..

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Are you sure you don't have confirmation of the VIN?

It should have been on the back page of the Warranty Coupon Book, which comes with the other Manuals you cite (although it is a little smaller booklet, with literally "tear off" pages the mechanics stamped the stub, as they did the required tune ups).

Anyway, thanks for posting here as the "word" may get to the current owner in time to bid.
    matching these up to the proper car will yield the best value of your sale, as to "the right person" these items are pretty valuable....

Good luck with the sale!
    Alan

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Texxie, we have confirmation, we have his dad's name on the registry.

11. dino_246_gt

dino_246_gt Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    NL
    Full Name:
    Petra
    His dad, or her dad..?

12. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    his dad

13. dino_246_gt

dino_246_gt Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    NL
    Full Name:
    Petra
    Ah - thanks for the clarification. Dana being the first name, I wasn't sure.
    Likewise US people often think my name (Petra) is male, which it clearly isn't, so was just double checking ;-)

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Roger that....I was just thinking 'maybe' that coupon book was with the others.

15. dr-champ

dr-champ Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Ojai CA
    Full Name:
    Dana Champion
    My parents named all three of us kids, apparently before we were born. Dru, Dale ,& Dana. All gender friendly names. Sometimes I use my middle name, Richard, to help eliminate confusion. Anybody have a clue who owns this Ferrari? By the way, Dru is my sister, and Dale is my brother. Thanks

16. dr-champ

dr-champ Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Ojai CA
    Full Name:
    Dana Champion
    #16 dr-champ, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought that I would post a picture of my Dads car circa 1982. She sure was a beauty.I am going to see if there is a Ferrari mechanic in Cannes, France, that might recognize the car. Ciao.... I wouldn't mind getting this car back! I dont want to sell my house though!
    Dana
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    F-chat = Ancestry.com for Ferraris

:)

Jedi

18. dr-champ

dr-champ Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Ojai CA
    Full Name:
    Dana Champion
    #18 dr-champ, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. dr-champ

dr-champ Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Ojai CA
    Full Name:
    Dana Champion
    Picture of the car did not show up. It's the one posted above.

It's been over two years since my search for my Dads car.
    My Dad pulled the Ferrari script emblem off of the back of the car. I just sold the emblem, unknowingly to a friend of Mattias.... If you see this Mattias, tell Thomas hello.
    Interesting story, at least for me. I went to look at a construction job in the same neighborhood where this photo was taken, last Saturday. This photo was taken back in the early eighties; it's about an hours drive from where I live. After looking at the job, I decided to drive by the house in this photo. My Dad had moved it, back in '80, and turned it into a beautiful Spanish Hacienda. Later that day I get a call from a gentleman to buy the Ferrari script emblem, off of this car, from a friend of Mattias, whom posted on my original search for the car. Small world.... isn't it !

After seeing this photo again... I sure miss that car! Enjoy your Dinos my friends!
    Ciao