Vintage Dino Service Sign | FerrariChat

Vintage Dino Service Sign

Discussion in '206/246' started by dgt, Nov 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #1 dgt, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been pondering these for some time so thought I'd start a thread on vintage service signs.
    Here is a past thread on Dino Service signs...
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110518
    and Nico had one here:
    http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3684/bild1934.th.jpg
    There are also replicas for which I have no interest.

The lighted sign in the photos below sold recently and I believe is an earlier dealer service sign than the ones above, although I have no photos or other information to confirm, I am certain it is not a reproduction.
    They have a brown electrical cord, a single fluorescent tube, a gold painted steel light box (heavy) and mounting brackets to mount in several ways, from chains, wall or roof.
    The light box and electrical equipment are made in the USA but I think the sign itself might have been made in Italy and distributed to dealerships.

I'm interested to know if similar ones were in use in europe, but presumably with different electrical fittings and/or back lighted box?
    I'd also like to know when they were put into use, I am guessing from around '68 in Europe and '70 in the US?
    Does anyone have dealership photos showing use of this type of sign?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110978106606 (no stake in this)
    Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #2 HMB-Dino, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    Disappointed this snuck past me...time to revise my eBay search criteria. I've been looking for a Dino service sign, but my searches have only come up with already sold ones at various auctions, and all quite pricey. But I can't say I've even seen repros. If anyone knows of a Dino Service sign, original or (good) repro, please contact me.

I'm also looking for what may be an even more elusive Ferrari Servizio Assistenza sign (my Dino was Italian delivery)...Peter's post #3 reminded.

3. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    #3 rosso corsa motorsport, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    These are in too good condition to be period. No wear, tarnishing or colour fad and nice sharp edges.

5. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    yes the Dino sign is in very good condition, was found in a dark room after 30 years
    in a Ferrari workshop

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Those are lovely signs. If someone will reproduce those, I would be interested.

By the way, does the existence of service signs specific to the Dino intimate that the factory distinguished between Ferraris and Dinos?

Andres

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Just a point of correctness. "Vintage" in the old advertising biz means that the piece is a repo and not old. May not be important when discussing on a chat forum but can be a big deal when trying to buy/sell a piece.

8. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    Andres. I work with sign makers regularly, I'll see if they could make the Dino Service one.
    Chris

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I missed out on a slightly cracked original sign years ago for $400! Saw one for sale on Ebay France six months ago and they were asking $6,000.

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I'm guessing that the biggest challenge with these Dino and Ferrari signs is not only finding an original, but finding one that isn't cracked in some way (case in point...Peter's gorgeous Dino sign's upper left corner). It seems the plastic would be prone to easily cracking during movement/shipment, especially as it has aged. And I'm not even sure how/if cracks could be repaired.

12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I have got two of these signs in quite good condition. They haven`t been cheap year ago.
    I think I payed 1000 to 2000 Euro a couple of years ago.
    But these days hardly any signs on offer any longer......

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have the exact same lighted sign in post #1 hanging in the workshop, the one on ebay is only the second one I've seen and it's identical down to the electrical cord.
    From the posts so far, probably only a small number were made and perhaps they were US specific.
    If anyone has one, or a photo of one in service, please let me know.
    Andrew

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  15. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I'd be up for a decent replica sign if the price isn't silly. I'm not looking for an original investment grade sign. Would just be cool to have one in the garage for the look.

16. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    me too- I could care less if its a repro- just something fun to hang in the garage...if anyone comes up with a good old fashioned fake/repro pls let me know! Thanks

17. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    me too- I could care less if its a repro- just something fun to hang in the garage...if anyone comes up with a good old fashioned fake/repro pls let me know! Thanks

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I would love one! Repro would be OK!

Freeman

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Perhaps TRutlands' European source for their Ferrari signs would be a good place to start. Who's in tight with TRutlands to find out if that's feasible?

20. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    I still have mine original sign and I declined an offer for 2000 Euro.
    As there have been only a few official "Dino" dealers and the sign are fragile they are really rare and hard to find. I think the plastic material is polycarbonate which is not very flexible. The blue "DINO" and the blue frame line around looks handmade surrounded with silver and everything is painted from the inside- I cannot imagine that this can be redone in a small series production. The only repro I have seen looks like this:
    http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9966/dinosign.jpg
    I have no source where to get it and where the picture was taken.
    Regards
    Nico

21. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Signs of this type are still made the same way. The plastic is formed over a mold usually made of particle board and then painted from the inside. The kicker would be to have an original on hand to reproduce the colors and details of the raised font. I would think almost any commercial sign maker could produce the sign. You wouldn't have to disassemble the sign to reproduce it. A reproduction something in the 90% accuracy range would be OK with me. Would there be a copywrite issue?

22. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Having looked at the sign photos in this thread it looks like the first sign is flat and the other sign has the Dino font raised. The flat sign would be the easiest/cheapest to reproduce. Did they make two styles of sign?

23. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Morry Barmak (collectorstudio.com) just had one on his website. I believe Hugh Ruthven (thefinishlinestore.com) has one also. Both of these likely originated with Paolo Tron (Milano 43 in Milan, many years ago), who bought a group of them as new-old-stock some years ago.

24. omgjeff

omgjeff Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Austin, TX
    My dad and I made a batch of 15-20 reproduction signs a couple years ago. They had raised letters and lit from behind. I'll see if we have any pictures laying around. We ended up selling them on eBay but 80% of the time the plastic molding broke when shipping so we decided not to make anymore.

25. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Jeff- just pack em better- I will buy one and I'll bet you'd sell alot of em here!!