206 Fuel filler cap | FerrariChat

206 Fuel filler cap

Discussion in '206/246' started by PAUL BABER, Feb 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I need an original 206 outside fuel filler cap............Can anyone help please ? Thanks Paul

2. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    A friend of mine has made a couple, originals do not exist.
    They are expensive, be prepared

3. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I'm interested in one of these, please let me know some more details...

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    A guy made 2 of them and thats it. I have a 206 with a cap, my friend without. We are working with the guy to have a few made. They will be expensive though. $4,000 plus!

5. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Forgive me for my ignorance but just how is that possible, $4000??? 3D scan the original part, digitize, then onto a CNC to cut into 6061 billet aluminum and voila. Am I missing something?

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Tom.......This is you at your best..Totally vague ! How much and how do I get one ?

7. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    If anybody can do them cheaper than more power to them. I have a ton of hours into this project. I had to borrow one from a friends car and hand deliver it to Wisconssin for 3D scanning, prototyping and the R&D. We had them machined out of solid brass and were show quality chromed like the original. The swinging cover, hardware and mechanism had to be duplicated and fine tuned to function as original. After having the original few made the file was corrupted so the original part was used again by a engineer/machinist out here in California to produce more. The owner of this project was doing it for his 206 and not to be in the business of making 206 gas caps, he put a ton of hours of his own time making the locking mechanism work and sourcing lock cylinders and keys to match the original.

I know more will be made but as mentioned earlier in the thread they are not cheap and will only be made to order.

I'm sure anyone here who has made parts for these cars know it always sounds easier and cheaper than it turns out to be. The important this is that when we reproduce items they be 100% accurate rather than most of the stuff I get that is 90-95%.

Zac

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #8 swift53, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    It is not made out of billet...and try replicating a plastic, any model Ford gas cap, without having a manufacturing industry behind it, I bet you it will cost tons of money to just make a few.

Now, make them in the thousands, and they will cost 5 bucks apiece as they cost Ford.

The problem with anything Dino, is that the quantities required are always limited.

Would it take 40 hours at $100 per, to make a gas cap from scratch? I think so.
    I mean, it takes us 40 hours (or more) to make anything not available, be it big or small...

It just boils down to the hourly labor, as it costs exactly the same to make a fender for a Ferrari as it does for a YUGO.

Regards, Alberto

PS. I would love to see close up photos of one fuel cap

9. dgrperformance

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    #9 dgrperformance, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well said Alberto,

Seeing as there were only 150 206 Dino's to start with there is unlikely to be more than 20 or 30 gas caps required. Not much volume compared to true production cars.

Here is a picture of the reproduction ones

Zac
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Lovely piece of work Zac! I am always in awe when these items are hand-built, vs. when they were mass produced.

Therein lies the true talent, just like the first 206 gas cap that was made. The other 150+, not so hard, as mass produced.

There are still a bunch around, lying on a dusty shelf, forgotten, and they will most likely remain there along with priceless stuff that most don't even know they have.

Regards, Alberto

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Excellent work Zac. And you are right, most repops are 90% accurate and look good from a distance. 100% accuracy takes many more man hours and research. Its great to find a part made to exact specifications. Good work.
    Ed

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Tom, originals always exist, you know better than I do what it takes to find them...

Regards, Alberto

13. dgrperformance

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    #13 dgrperformance, Feb 22, 2013
    Guys thanks for the comments but I can't really take credit for much more than being the middle man, if my hands didn't make it than I don't like to take the credit. I just knew who had a cap and the restoration shop that could handle the project, a wise old mechanic once told me "it's not knowing how to turn a screw but knowing which screw to turn":)

Here is another fun picture of the gas cap in CAD form, I have pictures of the cap and cover in plastic from when we made them out of ABS(plastic) in a RPM(rapid prototyping machine) AKA a 3d printer but I am not sure where they are at the moment.

Zac

14. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    #14 bertspeed, Feb 23, 2013
    I know that an original cap was asked for but the cap shown looks very similar to that on one of my other cars,which is very cheap ,easily available and if it fits its not a bad substitute.The car Austin healey sprite. Mine looks like the first picture but has the swivelling shield as per the other pictures.Ive also seen the cap in the third picture on more than one car.

15. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #15 GermanDino, Feb 23, 2013
    original one and reproduction....

I think I bought the last original one on the market 4 years ago in Italy for Euro 1.000,-

regards Matthias

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow I never looked at these up close and had no idea of its complexity and the locking mechanism. All of a sudden $4K is not that insane when you take into account the tasks and time involved in making a small number of these. When you think that it is for a gas cap it is hard to justify but the reality is that hours are hours regardless of the part and those hours need to be paid for. Thank goodness that my time is free or I'd be in a million dollar Dino restoration (not counting the cost of the car of course :D)

17. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Paul,

I just bought another 206GT. It arrived yesterday but has yet to clear customs. The trunk is packed full of spares none of which have been properly inventoried but the museum collection the car came from had the scrapped bits and pieces from another 206. There is a fair chance there is an extra cap as I saw an oil filler cap and some other bits in pieces in a few of our old inspection photos.

I am at a show this weekend in Palm Springs but email me next week after I have time to inspect our car properly and assess what spares are going to be redundant to our needs.

Cheers,

Bill

[email protected]

18. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Our 206GT Cleared Customs yesterday and we are still inventorying the parts and extra pieces.

The car sold immediately as expected but we are still expecting more bits and pieces to arrive in the next few weeks. Anyone who would like reference photos or to come and see her before she leaves is welcome to contact me at their convenience.

Ciao,

Bill

[email protected]

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Zac, Please get in touch with me. Urgent!

Regards, Alberto

20. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thanks Bill.....Let me know if you have one. Paul

21. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Paul,

So far unfortunately just the one. The car appears to be complete other than a windshield wiper arm.... have to see what comes in the next box of bits... hopefully besides the spare wheel the arm will be there and hopefully more.

Ciao,

Bill

22. ws83223

ws83223 Rookie

Aug 10, 2015
    Dear All,

I have recently acquired Dino 00280 and looking for an exact replica fuel cap as originals are not to find.

Can you offer any help?

Best Regards

Wilhelm

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I have 4 excellent reproductions.

24. ws83223