Oil Analysis | FerrariChat

Oil Analysis

Discussion in '206/246' started by solly, Jun 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    #1 solly, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got my analysis back from the lab. Everything looked good until I saw very high Sodium content. Where would sodium come from? I used no additives in the old oil, as it was Valvoline VR-1 non-synthetic racing oil, with plenty of zinc and phosphorus built in (see the numbers). It was also non-detergent if that makes a difference.

Just changed to Castrol GTX Edge 5W50 (for classic cars) and did add ZDDPlus. I'll have to wait and see what the next analysis shows when I drain this one.

Any ideas on the sodium? They were correct on the silicon. I did have a loose filter to airbox hose with no clamp on it and fraying material at the ends. Trimmed the fray and clamped well and ordered a new hose.

Car running much smoother now with no hesitation all the way to 7,000 RPM. I also changed dizzy cap, rotor, wires and plugs so that's part of it. And my oil pressure gauge actually moved off 60 psi to 85 for the first time in 12 years.

Appreciate any thoughts on the sodium. no, I haven't cracked a valve and had sodium spill out of it (as far as I can tell).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Sodium can be part of an alloy in various metals

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I also got a slightly elevated level of sodium and the labs called me to talk about it. They were stumped as the thought was that there might be a weeping of the head gasket but there was no presence of glycol or antifreeze. Three oil changes and analysis later and the results are consistent with no ill affects

4. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Scott- Did all of your analyses come back with elevated sodium levels? Or was it only the first one?

I had no glycol present either, and the engine was rebuilt only 1,000 miles ago. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the results of the next test are.

What would a "normal" sodium level be?