Dino Key Fobs.....wtf??? | FerrariChat

Dino Key Fobs.....wtf???

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Jun 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Who is buying the supposedly "Original" key fobs on eBay for several hundred dollars?

They are commonly available replicas that don't cost much, but they are selling for several hundred to over $500?

2. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    The folks who buy them are trying to complete their collections of Dino stuff, perhaps for concours usage. Some of the Lorioli Ferrari fobs are bringing huge money too. In fact, I saw a wax paper bag for one of the Loriolis sell for $100!!

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Between the prices for tool kits and key fobs, one would think we were dealing in Egyptian antiquities on the black market! Fred

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Ya'll are missing the point. This stuff is modern reproduction, not ORIGINAL.

I understand paying for originality, not paying multiples of the worth of something that is a repro

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  6. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    in the item description it clearly says "brand new, current production"

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#7 dinogts, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    I can understand why Shawn is wondering what is going on with Dino key fobs.

For example, this one sold for $595 on May 20, 2013. It claims that it is original - well sort of:

"VINTAGE NEW IN ORIGINAL WAX BAG FERRARI DINO KEYRING ... THIS ONE IS OLD AND RARE! IV HAD A LOT OF VINTAGE RINGS OVER THE PAST 30 YEARS, AND THIS IS A VERY NICE AND RARE F. RAGNI... THEY MAKE REPRODUCTIONS OF THIS KEY CHAIN FOR ABOUT $30, BUT IF YOU WANT AN OEM ORIG RING, THIS IS IT."

Ferrari Dino 246 206 308 GT4 Key Ring Vintage Chain Fob Flob 60's 70's F RAGNI1 | eBay

Is it? (just what does "VINTAGE NEW . . . OLD AND RARE" mean?).

Here is another one that is currently being listed on eBay byTony Randazzo for $324.99 (this is the one that says NEW):

Ferrari 246 Dino Key Chain Fob | eBay

BUT $324.99???? FOR NEW????????

Then there is this one:

RARE Key Fob Ferrari Dino GT GTS 246 Icor Milano not Omea | eBay

I like the looks of this last one.

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#8 dinogts, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Is that key rack holder NOS or a repro?

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    THats one problem with Ebay you may not deal with a real reputable person. THere is no doubt that the second one mentioned was trying to fool a quick acting buyer with his modern wax bag and reproduction key chain. I hope no one falls for it . you never know....
    LarryH

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #11 GermanDino, Jun 24, 2013
  12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    odd...my Dino only requires (2) keys on the fob; one for doors, the other for the ignition.

but I much prefer the style of key fob you over the style I have.

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Might have the girlfriend's door key on it also...;)

Regards, Alberto

14. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    One for the ignition, one for the doors, and one for the lock that goes over the engine, rear trunk and gas cap door releases.

15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    No such lock for GT's. Maybe Matthias keeps the keys to his GT's on a different NOS key holder.

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Besides the fact, that there are 6 key holders on the wall...

Regards, Alberto

17. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Somebody continues to sell these reproduction key fobs on eBay for $349.99. The item's description says:

"This is an unused Ferrari Dino 246 GT GTS ICOR Milano key chain fob. On the back it says I.C.O.R. Milano."

This is very deceptive marketing. Yes, it says precisely that on the back of the key fob but that is because it was an accurate reproduction. This is precisely what I predict will happen over time with reproduction tools. It is great to make reproductions available to collectors so that they can have a "complete" set for their car but once enough time passes, sellers may not call out that the item is a reproduction and then it is caveat emptor.

I wrote to eBay about this and hope they ask the seller to disclose this in their product description.

Keith

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I too predicted that would happen with the repro tools and then I proceeded to get yelled at by the copycat maker here on FCHAT who says (essentially) "I make it clear that these are repro tools when I sell them."

My point was that UNLESS they are subtly marked, there is absolutely no guarantee that a subsequent buyer-seller will: (1) know that something is a repro/copycat tool; OR (2) even if they know it is a repro/copycat tool that they will bother to tell that to a subsequent purchaser. THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM WHEN TOOLS AND KEY FOBS ARE SELLING FOR HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND THE REPRO/COPYCAT TOOLS START APPEARING - AND IT IS A TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT TO SELL THEM WITH GEDORE OR SIRCODIN MARKED ON THEM. Goods like that get seized, peopled get sued, and some could get charged criminally. This is no different than people selling "GUCCI" bags on the streets of NYC.

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I wonder if repro Dino items would be seized in Italy?

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #20 synchro, Jul 30, 2015
  21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #21 TheMayor, Jul 30, 2015
  22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I'm ambivalent on marking accurate repros as such. Wouldn't the risk of repro tools and key fobs arise too with repro wheels, gear shift knobs, windscreens, etc.?

Best,

Andres

23. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Many people don't want to pay full price for an original example nor do they want to buy reproduction parts that are discernible from an original part.

The toothpaste is out of the tube and so this will be an issue going forward, be it wheels, knobs, tools or key fobs. Honest sellers and knowledgeable buyers is all we can hope for.

Keith

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    That isn't an original fob. It is a repro

Shawn