Houston Dino 04274 | FerrariChat

Houston Dino 04274

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Jul 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #1 omgjon, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was suppose to be on vacation this week in Austin, Texas. Instead of boating on Lake Travis I dragged a Dino home from Houston. This is a 72 GTS originally Dino Blue Metallizzato with Sabbia interior. It's been in Houston all of it's life and was originally bought along with another green one by a Houston women as gifts for the 2 doctors that helped her husband through some serious health issues. It was repainted red in the 80's and has sat for some time. The engine was just totally rebuilt in Houston by a Ferrari trained mechanic. He has somewhat of a history if any of you are familiar with the F 40 that crashed in Houston and was the subject of the TV show on Discovery Channel. The body is in decent shape and the engine like new. As for the rest, as you can see much work is needed!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. afishtx

afishtx Rookie

Nov 4, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Fish
    As you may know, Lake Travis is very low right now. My boat is on Lake Austin which is constant level and I'd be happy to take you skiing. I've got the blue Dino GT (00416) you saw at Moorespeed that David and his team restored for me. Drop a note if you get this way.

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    thanks for posting....
    love the black painted door panels :)

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Well at least the engine is very pretty.

5. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    A lot to do back to its originality..

6. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    In Jon's hands, the rest of the car will eventually match the beauty of the engine.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ferda does great work!

8. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Didn't Shawn own this Dino at one time? I seem to recall photos of it (with this license plate) sitting under a tarp near the side of a house or shop? TIA.

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Shawn sold it to me. It had been sitting for some time at a shop in Houston with the motor 20 miles away at Ferda's shop. It's now in Austin and my other house where it will remain until I can get to it. With it there I have something to fiddle with when I'm there.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Shawn sold a Dino! Damn, I guess becoming a father changes all kinds of things. :)

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    wonder what $ shawn sold it for?
    ;)

12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I think he forgot he even had this one, and can you believe no tools or books!!

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Next to a damaged Lamborghni.....;)

Good to see this one finally see some attention, after being stationary for so long.
    Hard to say what games were being played in those days...maybe just the owner sinking deeper than he ever imagined.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'd better inventory...I think the last trip was to find the steering wheel.
    Not that you can't handle it!

Catch up sometime in Austin, at Lucy's Chicken!
    I could have given you a 308GTB to drag home....LOL!

I'd like those Ferrari bar badge and horse, the 'crooked pony" is perfect.

15. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "Is that a Mustang?"

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Ferrari is already off as well as the cavallino which was held on with a plastic strap on the grill as well as the Horsies on the wheel caps. I pulled out the $1.99 a yard carpet and the velour door panels. The seats are out as well covered in some sort thin cloth,not sure what color it was suppose to be. The back leather on the firewall was painted black over the tan and the dash has been painted!!! Don't know what kind of steering wheel it is, never seen anything like it. The motor is missing the air cleaner, heat exchanger and bracket, accelerator assembly coming off firewall, alternator bracket and few other odds and ends. It definitely needs attention and will be brought back to new condition. I will pull out the AC for good, never a fan of AC in a Spyder. It had a great original color which I'll go back too. The USA side markers have been welded up which I will leave. The USA rear reflectors will come off as well as antenna and radio will come out. It will basically be as it came from the factory minus AC and sidelights. The 3 inch Sony speakers were a nice touch in the flat area in the sail panels. The radio and speakers were wired in a 3rd world country. It's always very interesting when taking these apart with previous modifications and how they were done. I also love the assortments of screws and bolts used.

17. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I love your Dino!. Luckily our boat is at the RESERVE marina so no issues with launching etc. Plenty of water just looks a little ugly with the lake so low. There is not one public ramp open so there has not been many on the lake. Thanks for your offer!

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This is a cool car with a cool story....

It's a great car to be made into something better.

Jon will make this car far better than anyone else would.

I have and know lots of details on the history. I have old pics of the car as well.

I will be sharing the info with Jon, he has lots of it, but I have found more when moving.

The pics look bad, but are reflective of the car being moved around quickly and being in a storage situation. The rebuild will be fun to watch.

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #19 tx246, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    .....but it did have records and history...that is far better than some silly toolkit or operational set of instructions....

I would bet that the owners manual produced today would far surpass anything proper and historic.....

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    JRV had his good points, but also his bad.

I can't think of a better situation, with full documentation, of JRV taking advantage of a VERY long term customer than this car. It was really bad and ultimately is how I came to being the owner of the car.

Interestingly, I have still never gotten a straight answer from ANYONE about what happened to the Miura.... Even here on F-Chat, no one seems to answer the question, so I quit asking.

When it comes to the Miura, at the time I was seriously looking at buying his Dino, JRV was trying to push me to buy the Miura instead. He wanted $110k for it, but was flexible, if I let him do service work for other cars. Candidly, it was out of my price range, I didn't spend as much time as I would now with his "Documents" and ""Records" and "Photos", etc.....

It was a very nice car, but my layman standards, and drove well without issues. He came to own the car from his former next door neighbor. She sold it him for cash and exchange for services. He story I was told was that her deceased husband had trained JR on lots of stuff and employed him prior to him moving to Houston to work with Forristall (lots of cool details here), the neighbor was Steve McQueens personal mechanic and took the car as payment for maintenance on other stuff and bills after the car had become dated and not worth messing with. He kept it, tinkered with it, and when he died, JR worked out a deal to buy it.

I am not vouching for he story, but that is what JR told me. Does anyone know what became of it?

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    .......well, being over budget on a new home kinda helps too.....

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    He was a character, huh? The Ferrari world is full of them. Probably best to let this one die, nothing good will come of it.

Whut! Dude, you need to fire the builder. Oh, wait a minute... :)

Dale

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This is going to be fun.

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Well, let's rephrase that, options and specs changed from initial budget......PRETTY SUBSTANTIALLY......

But on the flip slide, the house is great and marriage is even better. :)