Dino Motor/Engine - looking to assess the value | FerrariChat

Dino Motor/Engine - looking to assess the value

Discussion in '206/246' started by mr308gtb, Jul 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    #1 mr308gtb, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I have a used/unknown internal condition Dino Engine. This is definitely not a for sale thread any any/all offers (if any) are going to be entirely ignored, so do not send them to me. That said, I am trying to ascertain an approx value or at least starting value if I were to list on ebay or Fchat classfieds. Obviously better pictures would/can be taken (this was done with my cell phone).

Any other information anyone has, please let me know. Looks cool, but I have a 308 and 348 and no plans to get a dino, so probbly best to part ways with the engine.

thank you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ferrari Dino 2.4 engine with no gearbox.
    There are several numbers stamped on the end of the block which if you post will confirm which series it came from.
    If it's suitable for rebuilding and the end cover is there $10k+, else $5k for a coffee table.

3. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    thanks. I would also be interested in anyones advice on my best approach as to how to sell this? ebay? local restoration shop, fchat classifieds, etc. I am in NY metro area. Obviously this is not like selling a gold coin, so moving and shipping is a hinderance for me. How would I be able to tell if it is rebuildable, in my dealing with kartt engines, it was simply checking if the case was cracked, I expect this to be a bit more complicated. thanks.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Given that the heads are on backwards then one can only assume that this is nothing more than a core to have re-built. The real question comes in whether this is a Fiat Dino or Ferrari Dino engine and that can be determined by posting the serial number as it appears on the side of the cast iron engine block. Either way the two engines are very similar and not terribly rare so I would think somewhere in the $3-5K range (complete Fiat Dino's can be had for well under $10K). eBay will likely give you the highest selling price and crating an engine like this is not that big a hassle when you are dealing with a purchase of several thousand dollars. A $200 small block Chevy would be a different story.

5. darthdino

darthdino Rookie

Oct 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Darth
    Your engine would probably fit in a plastic engine shipping container made by Scribner plastics in CA. That makes it easier than having to build a box. Let me know if you list it on e bay.

6. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would think you'll have to pull the heads and look in the bores and at the valves to get any idea of what the engine is worth.

If the block is usable it will obviously be worth a lot more. Ditto for the heads.

7. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    To get the best price and be sure you don't have hassles you should take it to a machine shop-check the heads for cracks, check how much they have been cut down in the past and if they are warped.

Have the condition of the bores checked on the block, see if/how much it has been over bored. Have the crank checked for cracks, mic'ed to see if it has been machined before and to find out what it will need in order to be used in a rebuild.

With all this you can clearly present what you have along with the ID of it's original application from the casting/serial numbers etc.

Alternatively, you can do the "I know nothing" sell and let it go cheap, with full disclosure that the buyer is rolling the dice. Unfortunately a lot of those buyers are likely to be crybabies if the thing is a bunch of unusable junk.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I would post the numbers from the motor, don't touch or unbolt anything, take lots of good photos then sell it on Ebay "As -Is" with no reserve with no promises.

Freeman

9. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    I am looking for a Dino engine.
    Please contact me directly [email protected]

Thanks
    Olivier