Gearbgox oil SAF-XJ | FerrariChat

Gearbgox oil SAF-XJ

Discussion in '206/246' started by simonc, Oct 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I am doing some work on jy 73 246GT and changed the oil to Castrol SAF-XJ as suggested by Superformance. I haven't run the car since filling the gearbox (due to some carb refurbishment work) but I have noticed some weeping gearbox seals. Not drastic just a drip or two ever otehr day. These weren't there before the oil change.

Anyone else using SAF-XJ and noticed this? Is it just because it is synthetic?

Shall I go back to the original spec oil (EP80 or HD 90)?

2. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    Hi,I used this oil in my 308 gtb and also noticed oil leakage,but mine was leaking beforehand although less so.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Simon
    I used this oil for a while and it doesn't do what is says on the tin.

It was supposed to make gear changing slicker, it didn't.
    It was supposed to help 2nd gear synchro - it didn't.

In the end I rebuilt the gearbox and cured these issues but still had slight weeps from the gasket despite changing them twice. Most of the very tiny weeps was from around the studs / nuts and so sealed these with sealing tape.

Another Dino owner had this in their car and couldn't change gear after the rebuild. Changed the oil and all was OK.

IMO it isn't suitable for this gearbox.

I have now change back to standard gear oil and no issues whatsoever.

Tony

4. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Thanks for the replies - I guess I need to change back to the original spec oil.

The full story behind this is I had had few leaks underneath from the sump gaskets (engine & gearbox)and also a leak from the gearshift shaft where it enters the tube that runs through the engine block. I removed the engine and gearbox sumps so I could fit new gaskets, I removed the gearshift shaft and fitted a new o-ring and I changed the three o-rings in the bell-housing that seal transfer case to the gearbox. With the bell-housing off checked the rear crankshaft oil seal and I also skimmed the flywheel and fitted a new clutch. I put it all back together and started it up but as soon as it warm the gearshift shaft started dripping oil. I had looked at the shaft and it looked OK but I decided I should have checked it with a micrometer and that it must be more worn than I had thought. I ordered a new shaft removed the old one again. The new shaft arrived but had a missing hole for a cotter pin and was of no use. However it meant that I had a new part I could measure and compare to my original shaft. They were identical when I measured them, but to be sure I had my engineering shop double check and they agreed. I removed the o-ring I had fitted and noticed a small nick that I must have made when I inserted the shaft. I was annoyed with myself for such a silly mistake but pleased I had found the cause of the leak. I fitted a new o-ring and new gasket and put it all back together. The carbs were of the car being rebuilt so I could not start it. After about 10 days I looked under the car there was a very small pool of oil - the gearshift shaft was dripping one or two drops a day. A few days later I had a closer look under eth car and noticed a very slight week from what is called the front gearbox cover (where the speedo drive is located). It is only slight but it is there. Then I had a thought about the SAF-XJ oil that Superformance had recommended.

I will change the gearbox oil to original spec oil and report back

5. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Simon,
    I am running with SAF-XJ oil Superformance supplied. I have not experienced any leaks or any noticeable gear change issues. Not convinced it made any difference to gear change slickness though. Once I tuned the position of the gear change levers ( see my post photos somewhere on this site) everything was good.
    Kevin

6. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I certainly did take a lot of care to tune my selectors, all based on your article :)

Many thanks for the write up, it was really useful.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Swepco 201 here

8. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Is the SAF-XJ a multi-viscosity oil?
    What would be equivalent oil in the US?

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Opinions regarding gear oil and engine oil for that matter are like religion....It can be discussed for ever with no clear conclusions.....-:) Seal your engine thoroughly and add copper washers and dome nuts to all your bottom studs and you will most likely be able to seal the engine to an acceptable level regardless of the chosen oil. I have had limited luck using stat o' seal sealing washers and they only works one time, so I recommend the cheap copper washers. I also use a thin layer of locktite 5922 on both sides of all the sump gaskets with success.

Good luck

Peter

10. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    I asked Red Line what their equivalent was for Castrol SAF-XJ and received the reply:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the cross for the SAF-XJ is the 75W140, these are friction modified gear oils suitable for open and limited slip differentials calling for this higher viscosity but not recommended for use in synchro equipped transmissions as the slipperiness can cause shiftability issues.
    In the Ferrari transaxles and transmissions typically the 75W90NS is recommended. If you wanted a higher viscosity the 75W140NS would be an option, though could be stiffer shifting at lower temperatures where a 90 weight oil is originally specified."

Would somebody please tell me if it takes 4 or 4 1/5 L of oil (with new filter) as I've seen both listed. Also are there any soft or yellow metals (bronze etc) in the gearbox?

11. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So SAF-XJ is a horrible choice. 75W140 is too viscous and contains LS diff additive that will make synchros work poorly and wear faster.

Yes, there are some yellow metals in the transaxle but using a GL-4 oil such as Redline's MTL might not protect the differential gears well enough and they would wear.

So the Redline 75W90NS is the best choice, scientifically speaking.

12. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    The Oil Company only care about Viskosity in their Oil. Did they recognize that in our cars the gearbox is not separated from the engine like on most other cars? That the gearbox used the same housing as the Oilsump and the Oil temperatures could get up the same as the engine oil? For this reason Ferrari uses something specific.

13. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yep, That'll be me then!
    No due to the fact that the box had been totally rebuilt i think it made the syncro's sooo slippery that they would not mesh.
    I replaced it with conventional oil. i forget the brand but a lowly nothing special hypoy as i didn't want to waste any more money in case it was the box and not the oil.
    But much to my surprise the box was so slick with not even a baulking into second when cold, that i left it in there!
    it appears to be fine on a 'run in' box but not on a rebuilt one.
    Don't waste your money.

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That post was last year Graham, your losing the plot ..........slowly
    I think it's being in the 308 section to long!!!

15. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It's because my clutch has gone and like me it's slipping!!!