Faithful repro Dino Spanner Sets | FerrariChat

Faithful repro Dino Spanner Sets

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyL, Oct 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Disillusioned by the ever increasing cost of original Dino tools I got to thinking about making a set of spanners for myself. I sourced a small local engineering foundry who was really willing and able to make the castings. I then had the opportunity to borrow an original set from a fellow Fchatter and jumped in with both feet, paid for the moulding etc and got a set made, to make it worthwhile I had to make a small batch to cover the production costs.

Really pleased with how they turned out, anyone interested let me know as I have a very small batch for fellow Dino owners only. Sorry cannot split into individual items.

cost £206 for a complete set of 4, + Postage and packing

USA will be around £45.00
    UK approx. £18.00

PM me, it will be on a first come first served basis. I have put it in here first as I want fellow dino owners to have first refusal, after that they will go in the general ad section.

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    They look great. Are these steel or brass?

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    SG600/3 Iron, heat treated and then zinc plated to match original finish and prevent rusting

Incidentally Sircodin wasn't found on all spanners so I never replicated the logo on these spanners

4. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    good ol' cottage industry strikes again! well done!

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Are they distingushable from original?

If not, I feel the price of Dino tool kits going down!

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    They have been copied from an original set of spanners and replicate every stratch, bump, nick and dimple from those patterns. Apart from the new zinc coating which will dull down eventually then I doubt you could tell the difference.

BTW all the spanners are spoken for but those that have reserved a set could you please pay ASAP as there are now some waiting on standby.

thanks for showing some interest, incidentally I have remade the plug socket, emergency window crank, screw drivers and actually bought a carb key on ebay. Just waiting to get the material for remaking the tool bag and I will have remade myself a complete kit. It took me nearly 6 months to do the engineering, but was a very rewarding exercise.

Tony

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #7 isuk, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Tony,

Do you still have any repro spanners available or spares of any of the other tools you mentioned that you'd be willing to sell?

8. mebowles

mebowles Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I would also be interested in a set

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi Iain

I have remade a second batch and these should be ready shortly, most of these are already sold so if you want a set then please let me know ASAP as I can get a few more added to the castings

The window crank handles are being remade too, I am just waiting for the helical gears and these should be ready mid December. As you know the crank with the gear on the end is applicable to L, M and E series cars up to around summer 1972 I believe. The crank with the rubber end cap is for the remaining E series cars which had the revised rectangular front grilles, round lower air intakes and short front bumpers. I think those cars started production post the '72 summer holiday factory shut down so probably September onwards?

The plug spanner has been remade too and the first one has turned out pretty good. We have made some adjustments and the demo one is simply brilliant. apart form the "newness" of the plating and chrome work you couldnt see the difference.

Why? do you want a set for your nice new shiny car/s?

10. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I do indeed so count me in Tony ;)

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As soon as I get them finished I will post up some pics for you Iain. If anyone else is interested please do let me know ASAP as I can change the quantities being made especially the window cranks.

spanners will be the same price but not sure on exact cost at the moment of the plug spanner and window cranks, but I am going to sell reasonably for fellow owners only.

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Aren't window crank handles readily available in the marketplace?

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #13 TonyL, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    I hope they are Ron, it will save me loads of aggro. got a link as I searched many many times for them and only found some on ebay at silly prices.

ps one on ebay for £295.00!! with non original plastic gear

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Sorry about the disappearance of this thread I got told off.

Those that have expressed an interest I have these logged.

15. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    I would be interested in any and all of the tools you are recreating.

Good work.

16. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I'm interested as well. Count me in. Also need a jack handle in case you are thinking of making one of those.

17. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I would be interested in a complete set. If you don't mind please send me some pics of all the pieces you are making.

Thanks for the doing all the hard work.

Dario
    [email protected]

18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi Guys

UPDATE

I will have a small batch of spanners available soon, those that expressed and interest are on the waiting list and will get priority. Most are pre-sold but there may be a few spare if any drop out.

Can you please email me your address and telephone number so I can get things moving on this. Please don't use the PM system as its a PITA to use.

[email protected]

I have a small batch of high quality repro plug spanners & window cranks (both types) arriving shortly as well so if you are interested in these then please let me know as well, it will save on P&P costs.

Thanks

Tony

Tony

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #19 TonyL, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It would be interesting to put a set of these on e-bay (explaining the fact that they are repro of course!) and seeing what they run up to

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I am getting a lot of mail about what tools go with what car, this is my understanding of the production of these and the re-made spanners

Tools

Spark Plug Spanner/Wrench - suitable for L, M & E series

Carb Key - suitable for L, M & E series

Pliers - suitable for L, M & E series

Screwdrivers - suitable for L, M & E series

Spanner sets - suitable for M & E series
    earlier L- Geodore

Emergency window crank with brass gear end - L, M & E series up to the end of 1973

Emergency window crank with plastic handle - late E series cars from end of 1973 until end of production

Tool & Jack bags

June '69 to mid '72(L, M & E series) - chestnut brown heavy grained vinyl. L series jack bag a different design to M and E series.

From mid '72 to Autumn '73 (E series) - dark brown pigskin bag with lighter brown lining
    From Autumn '73 to end of production( E series) - dark brown pigskin bag with red lining

Jack and Wheel Brace

Same design for L, M & E series cars.
    L series do not have wheel brace

22. GrrenBayDino

GrrenBayDino Rookie

Sep 24, 2013
    Just heard about the Dino tool kits you had. Are these still available?

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have 3 x 13/17 repro spanners left over.

If anybody wants one then PM me. All I want is P&P costs

Tony