Door sills - level or not? | FerrariChat

Door sills - level or not?

Discussion in '206/246' started by HMB-Dino, Nov 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #1 HMB-Dino, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I plan to have my 71 Euro GT door sills refinished to remove scratches, minor dents and improve their general appearance. I'm told there should be some type of filler pieces underneath these sills to make them somewhat level (rather than sloping down towards the interior).

So what is the correct material to use to level the sills out (and how much...perfectly level, slight tilt, etc?) and does that extend to the painted rear panel that the sills overlap?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    wood.

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    ok, I'll bite...
    a single strip or many pieces?
    dimensions and thickness?
    should be level or still sloped?

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #4 dgt, Nov 26, 2013
    A thin 16x21mm wood packing (for example) was used between each hole of the sill panel and the inner edge, it was glued in place.
    This was done on 206 through early E-series (don't know about later E), so covers your M.
    They sometimes wrote the thickness on the piece, in mm. For example, the one below says "2.5".
    No idea what the official angle of the sill should be, they were all over the place.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wait.

We now have a wooden Dino!

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I had popped off one of my sills a couple months ago and saw these small pieces of wood. They weren't glued down, but then again a prior owner had stripped and repainted the car back in ~2006. When I saw these pieces of wood, I thought it was a joke. By the way, should they be glued to the body or to the underside of the sill?

My sills definitely slope down towards the interior and it would seem that the vertical back length of the sill would start to interfere with the door rubber the sill slides behind if the whole sill angle was flattened very much.

7. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    Okay, so who does this kind of repair
    On the sills ?. Do they get buffed, plated
    How do you take out dings without damage?

8. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I remember when i replaced mine that the original plates had little square pieces of plywood glued to the underside of the kick plates. So although it sounds crazy......it's a Ferrari!!

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The sills were originally made of raw aluminum. So soft that a light fingernail pass would leave a mark and it is almost impossible to keep them looking decent. Original parts will be stamped with a body number matching them to the car.

In my case the original sills regardless of effort were too far gone to restore. Accumulated dents and scratches meant that way too much material would have had to have been removed to make them straight. As such I am keeping them as originals and had new ones laser cut and bent. Correct finish is light longitudinal brush marks. Not polished or chrome (later cars had stainless panels with a much brighter finish) The replacement panels are perfect to original with one special exception. I had my panels clear anodized which surface hardens them and makes them almost unscratchable. The finish is totally invisible so the part is indistinguishable from raw aluminum. If you have new ones made anodizing them is the way to go.

10. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    On the topic of Door sills - Can someone help me find a set. My cars sills were gone when I got it.

Does anyone have a picture of Of the area without the rubber on it as I am not exactly sure how the rubber is supposed to be applied along that area. I do not see a vertical flange that would typically be there for the rubber to slide onto.

thanks

Dario

11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #11 isuk, Nov 28, 2013
    There should be a vertical flange on the sill that the seal fits onto. It runs around the door aperture on the body. This is the best pic I could find of it on one of my cars without the seal fitted.

12. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    What are the correct fasteners for holding the door sills? The passenger and driver side of my 73 Dino GT has two different fasteners with at least one clearly changed when it was painted. Thanks.

13. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Slotted Screws

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Dario, were you able to locate the sills? I might be able to help you.

Regards, Alberto