Wheel paint opinion needed | FerrariChat

Wheel paint opinion needed

Discussion in '206/246' started by BRADAN, Nov 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #1 BRADAN, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The make up of the paints and toners used today are totally different to those used over 40 years ago. As such using the old paint code will yield an incorrect colour. To your original question the colour is way too dark.

3. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #3 isuk, Nov 30, 2013
    The paint colour is not easy to solve as there is no definitive answer. I ended up trying a few shades and was happiest with a PPG paint code called FIAT Argento 612/A in D/W shade with the laquer dulled down with a 30% dilution of matting agent. The key is getting the level of laquer correct as the originals were not glossy like current alloy wheels but were far duller in appearance.

Here are the results.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Confused by conflicting posts. On 10/21/13 first you said...
    "My wheels were painted in PPG paint using FIAT Argento 612/A in D/W shade with the laquer dulled down with a 30% dilution of matting agent."

Then corrected yourself a few minutes later...
    Apologies, the correct name for the colour is FIAT Grigio Chiaro Metallizzato 612/A in D/W shade.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/301091-wheel-paint-2.html

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Apologies Ron, you are correct. The colour is FIAT Grigio Chiaro Metallizzato 612/A in D/W shade. I should have had more haste and less speed when I went to look for the name of the colour I had scribbled down.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    No problem and since I have no idea how those two colors compare (very close or far apart), I wanted to make sure that anybody that decides to pursue refinishing their wheels will work off of the correct starting point.

At some point that may be me since I've received a deduction my last two concours for wheels that were too glossy.

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    There is only one colour with the code 612/A Ron so there shouldn't be an issue mixing it. It's just I had it in mind that it was called Argento which is my error. I looked at so many possible colours of silver that I had the name Argento forever burned into my memory I think :D

8. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Ron, you may be able to just re-clear your wheels with the desired gloss level without having to completely repaint base color.

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    If only it were so...and we know everything on the web is true...

Fiat 612-A Grigio Chiaro Rialto Elisa Garbato Palla

FIAT 612/A GRIGIO GARBATO

FIAT 612/A GRIGIO CHIARO METALLIZZATO

FIAT 612A GRIGIO ELISA

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I'd have to back and look, but they may also have complained about too silver.

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Had my wheels painted and wanted to share a paint source. Dennison International has had numerous Dinos with Campagnolo and Cromodora wheels in their shop and have developed the paint formulas for both. They will sell paint by the quart. Contact Darren at (253) 435-9143 or email [email protected]

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You definately want a semi-gloss or almost matt finish....frosting them with clear coat to a lower level of gloss is a good idea.

The OEM silver is not a two stage paint at all.
    Should not have a clear coat.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #13 synchro, Jul 30, 2015
    Came out great!

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Apologies as I was mistaken that paint would be sold. The paint is not being sold by the quart but there may be a quart from mine left over (they mix per restoration), we will know about the end of August as I have a more wheels to be painted.

Please contact me rather than Dennison (they're very busy readying for Monterey).
    Also, if you're in Monterey and would like to see the wheels in person come by the FCA Concours.