Repro Dino tools | FerrariChat

Repro Dino tools

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyL, Feb 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #1 TonyL, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just thought some would like to see that it is possible to re-make these tools, some were extremely difficult to remake in small volumes. Its not for the faint hearted but highly rewarding and much cheaper than originals!!

Next on the list is the tool bag pouch, I have sourced a near perfect match material and a prototype is being made.

Will post up final results as and when.

Not totally happy with the screwdrivers so its back to the drawing board on this one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My compliments on the fine job you have done there. People just don't appreciate the huge amount of work it is to do reproductions right. The last 2% more than triples the effort and time involved which explains why so many repros fall short.

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #3 synchro, Feb 26, 2014
  4. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Good work Tony, you've definitely done a good job. However, you're devaluing all our original tools!!

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi Ryan

With the greatest respect I don't see the items I have made will devalue good originals

I became disillusioned at the ever increasing and unaffordable price these tools were heading in and decided to do something about it for myself.

I will be happy with my repro kit as they were hand made by me and will take pride and place in my boot never to be used and to serve a gentle reminder never to attempt anything like this again. You wouldn't believe the amount of time each one has taken so far, but being a dogged individual, I will not let it beat me.

Very best regards

Tony

6. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Hi Tony,

I think good reproductions, like yours, possibly will. As an alternative, they are much cheaper to originals and thus selling originals should in turn become harder, driving the price down.

I completely commend you for your work, and think you have done a fantastic job on them. You've also done a wonderful job on the signs. I have an original and paid a small fortune for it.

What's next on the list to reproduce? A good quality jack bag with the correct pebble leather would go down a storm.

7. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    How about a whole car!............judging by what he's produced so far at his prices then i could buy a new GTs Flares and Chairs for £100k...........Tony i will have exclusivity to every one you turn out please.

8. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    What dreams are made of.

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    thanks for the compliment but there is no need to worry, I am not mass producing these in any shape or form. There is a by product of me doing this with a low volume production run for each part I remake, I have to do it to make it worthwhile and use up materials purchased. If some fellow dino owners benefit along the way then I am happy

once gone, that's it.

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Kudos Tony!

I only know too well, as many Dinolanders do, what it requires to make good parts.

Your tool sets being a limited run, will be worth as much as old ones, but I do not foresee
    any of your clients selling theirs, so Ryan, rest easy.

Regards, Alberto

11. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    I agree that selling some will offset the cost of doing the kit for yourself, it makes no sense to make them just for yourself. But thanks for not mass producing :)

12. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Making repro parts is a hard endeavour indeed, and the limited run is definitely a good idea. Alberto, the limited run has calmed me down ;).

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Beautiful job Tony, congratulations.

14. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Thanks Tony for making your reproductions. I am happy that I was able to buy your wrenches.

I am the second owner of my Dino- since 1974- and many of the tools were already missing.

Never thought much about tools all the years I have owned my Dino- and when I finally did it had become harder to find single wrenches then entire tool sets. Your reproductions are excellent and best of all ---they helped me to fill out my wrench set .

Thanks Tony-- look forward to when you produce screwdrivers up to your expectations- missing the flat head.

15. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    PM sent

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    This has renewed my enthusiasm and can see why I become disheartened at the ever increasing prices of these items. Wonder what he wants for the other half!!!!

Ferrari 246 Dino Partial Toolkit | eBay

17. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That old washer bag he has for $450 ono I remember throwing mine in the bin,
    Thinking that my new Superformance one looked far better!

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Your right arm...

Regards, Alberto

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I need that arm Alberto to help re-make the screwdrivers which is driving me nuts btw:)

May have perfected the moulds and colour after months of swearing!!

20. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Dinos are worth a big chunk of change now and so I fully expect that exact reproduction tools which sit in a car and "patinate" over the next 10 years will be misrepresented as original by dishonest sellers or misinformed, future owners. While I believe the onus for calling out what is an original part and what is a reproduction part falls on the seller, in reality it is ultimately up to the buyer to make their assessment based on available documentation and expert assistance.

On the flip side, I don't believe the onus falls on people making reproduction parts to somehow differentiate them from an NOS part to protect the value of original parts. On the contrary, I hope they make spot on copies of the originals so that I can bolt them on with pride when NOS parts are no longer available.

So, while it may warm the cockles of my heart that I pieced together an original tool kit and jack bag for my Dino years ago, it will be up to me to support the value of those parts with documentation and up to the buyer to require that documentation if I hope to reap full value for my original bits. I'm good with that and applaud the efforts of Tony, Matthias, Alberto, Jon and others who make repro bits for their cars and share them broadly with the Dino community.

Cheers...Keith

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi Keith
    You are extremely lucky to have had the foresight to buy early. I was not so clever.

Ferrari 246 Dino Complete Toolkit, Jack, Bag and Wheel Chock | eBay

This is a classic case of why I felt compelled to make them for myself.

The originals will always be worth much more but like all valuable possessions they will now have to stay safely locked up in a safe for fear of them being stolen from the car. Bit like the master painting in a gallery vault and a copy on the wall.

As Alberto quite rightly has said most people will only buy to complete the accessories, they are being made in such low volume and purely as a small production run that it will hardly cause a ripple on the ocean.

22. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Hi Tony ... PM sent

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #23 TonyL, Apr 15, 2014
    Latest addition to the tool kit.

Early e series window crank with helical gear. Perfect reproduction I have to say so myself!!!

The lower one is the original in case your wondering

Next screwdrivers, shanks have been remade.

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #24 TonyL, Apr 26, 2014
    Wheel wrench remade and awaiting nickel plating.

Screwdriver shanks re-made and nickel plated as original. I did have thoughts about buying new screwdrivers and using the shanks from them but the modern Philips head profile is completely different as was the diameter of the shanks. So made a special purpose made jig to grind the slots from stock material. Next job to get the handles cast onto them. Found a company who can do the injection moulds and have promised 100% accuracy...fingers crossed

Tony

25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great stuff Tony:)
    Please advise via the regular pm when they become available.

Regards, Alberto