c/n#07770 back to original | FerrariChat

c/n#07770 back to original

Discussion in '206/246' started by Jezter70, Feb 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #1 Jezter70, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all, i have been an avid 'lurker' on this forum for many,many months, and have only now for some reason decided to officially join in!
    i purchased my GTS around 1 Year ago, and decided early on that it had to go back to its original spec of Azzurro Metallizzato 106-A-32 with dark blue (VM3282) Connolly leather.

It is currently going through the Classiche process
    Hopefully the car will be back together at the end of March/early April
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #2 Jezter70, Feb 28, 2014
    I thought i would post the photos given to me by the original owner when we met a few months ago. These were taken on the cars first day out from the Maranello Concessionaires showroom back in August 1974.
    The original owner also very kindly provided me with documentation and original manuals that he had kept in a draw for 40 Years!.... he couldn't be persuaded to part with the original key fob, which he had also kept!
    Interestingly, 07770 is listed as the very last new Dino 246 sold in the UK.

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    that`s a lovely colour combination, well done Jeremy
    regards Matthias

4. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thanks Matthias,
    My wife bought me a copy of your Compendium from a bookstore here in Tokyo last Christmas.... May I just congratulate you on producing this amazing piece of work....it must have enhanced the thrill of ownership of these wonderful cars, for all that have a copy.

5. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #5 Jezter70, Feb 28, 2014
    Does anyone have any preference for 1 or 2 wing mirrors, when restoring? Thought I should ask before drilling into the nice new paintwork!

6. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #6 Jezter70, Feb 28, 2014
    The last photo of the car when new.
    interesting that the car is brand new in this photo, and it clearly has the Ferrari badge on the back in addition to the Dino GT logo.... Addition offered by Maranello concessionaires, or put on at the factory, as one of the last cars built??

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    period correct would be just one wing mirror.....

8. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thanks Matthias..... i'm usually a lover of symmetry, but i guess if one is correct, then i may have to just try to get used to it!
    could i ask a question ..... i am looking to try and contact the current owner of Dino GT 05764 (originally Verdi Pino/Black vinyl) .... have drawn a blank on the dino register as the last record is 1995 for this car .... any advice for an ongoing search?

9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    unfortunately that`s the last ownership info I have too....

10. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Great color and a beautiful car. Please keep the pictures coming as you put her back together. Best of luck.

11. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thanks Tom,
    I cannot claim any of the work, its all being done for me in the UK while i'm living out here in Tokyo, i am ashamed to say!
    The colour (it was Rosso when i purchased the car), took a long time to get right, and in the end was mached to a chip of the original colour from inside the door with a special colour match being made in the end, by PPG. I hope its as close to the original 106-A-32, as it is possible to get, with the modern pigments.
    Will certainly post some more pictures as and when i get them.

12. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #12 Jezter70, Feb 28, 2014
  13. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thanks Matthias ..... will keep trying. #05764 was bought new from Maranello Concessionaires, by the Father of the gentleman that originally purchased the car that i now own ..... he would love a chance to own his Fathers old car ..... In the unlikely case, of course , that it might be possible to acquire it!

14. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #14 Jezter70, Mar 2, 2014
  15. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #15 Jezter70, Mar 2, 2014
  16. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #16 Jezter70, Mar 2, 2014
  17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  18. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    it looks great! as Tony said, the fun part....which old bits to you keep....hopefully most of them

19. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thanks Tony and Luigi,
    I know the Classiche dept gets a good old bashing, generally but I have to say, that what they have given to me is remarkable , in terms of the correspondence with the factory and Maranello Concessionaires, how the specification and colours were chosen, and eventually put me in contact with the original owner of the car. I put him on the insurance and let him take it out for a spin , for old times sake last Year .... Which was priceless!

20. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
  21. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Jez, congrats and perfect choices too !

My opinion is one mirror also. You can always add another later, if so desired.

w/ smiles
    Jimmy

22. ken4dino

ken4dino Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    Tokio
    Full Name:
    Ken A
    Hello! I see that you are in Tokio and your Dino is in UK now. Driving and parking a car in Tokio with only 1 mirror is impossible, but obviously, it is different in UK. Do you plan to bring the car over to Japan?

Another thing that I noticed in the pic, your Dino is 74 and reg is 'X.' When I first shipped mine to UK and submit application w/ certificate for production year of 74, DVLA gave me 'Y' registration. I wonder what the difference was.

At any rate, beautiful color!

Best Regards,
    Ken

23. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thanks Jimmy..... i think i will take your and Matthias advice and go with just the 1 wing mirror initially, then take my time to see how i feel about it.
    PM sent to you

regs,
    Jez

24. ken4dino

ken4dino Rookie

Jan 21, 2014
    Tokio
    Full Name:
    Ken A
    Jez,

My earlier post attempt does not seem to have gone thru, so here we go again...

Are you planning to ship the car to Japan or keep it in UK? Driving around and parking in Tokio w/o mirror on passenger-side is almost impossible, and I have put one to mine.

Another thing I noticed in your pics is that yours is 74 and reg # starts with 'X' whereas when I registered mine in UK, the DVLA gave me 'Y' registration. Not that I am expert in reg. system in UK, but just got curious.

At any rate, beautiful color and work done! Would love to see it when all finished.

Best Regards,
    Ken

25. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    great idea to reconnect with original owner!
    I think that only adds to the car's "value" part of its history, building up its persona