"Dino: The V6 Ferrari" by Brian Long | FerrariChat

"Dino: The V6 Ferrari" by Brian Long

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino246gts, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Just an FYI;

I just received an email from Amazon that this book which I ordered Dec. 29, 2012 has a delivery date of April 17 to May 8, 2014.

We shall see.

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I ordered mine in 2009, and yes, we shall see...

It almost seems a joke by now.

Regards, Alberto

3. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006

New email from Amazon. Book due to arrive April 2 to April 15.

Could it actually be?

Alberto, your wait may soon be over!

4. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Hum.... publisher's website still show's as Out of Stock... no date.

Veloce Publishing

Cheers

Pietro

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I ordered a copy through Motorbooks in 2009 and finally cancelled a year later. I'll believe this latest date when I hear from someone who actually received it.

6. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    I'll let you all know when, or if, I receive it. In the past I have received notices from Amazon always postponing the delivery date. This is the first time Amazon has ever upped the delivery date. Sounds promising at least.

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well, they have not written me, and do believe I should be a priority :)

Regards, Alberto

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#8 dinogts, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    According to the Barnes&Noble website, this book was supposedly published on Saturday, March 15, 2014. BUT Nota Bene: Barnes&Noble won't be selling it through their website - "This Hardcover is Not Available through BN.com."

BTW, anyone know what "ontemporary advertising" is? ;)

I hope it is edited better than the publisher's blurb is on the B&N website:

"Overview

Although not the fastest or the most powerful Ferrari, the beautiful lines of the Dino have inspired generations of enthusiasts. This book covers the full story of the Dino, from Pininfarina concept car through to the final production model, illustrated throughout with contemporary material. The book features THE definitive record of the little V6 Ferrari and its Fiat sibling 'Dino', named after Enzo's son. It contains full year-by-year coverage of production models with the American and European markets covered in great detail. There are over 250 contemporary photos, mainly in color, along with ontemporary advertising and brochures.

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9781904788393
    Publisher: Veloce Publishing
    Publication date: 3/15/2014
    Pages: 224
    Product dimensions: 10.00 (w) x 10.00 (h) x 0.81 (d)

Related Subjects
    Automobiles - By Manufacturer
    Automobiles
    Design - History

Meet the Author

Born in Coventry, the heart of Britain's motor industry, Brian Long comes from a family with a proud heritage in both automotive and aviation engineering. He trained as a mechanical engineer, and worked at his father's garage before becoming heavily involved in the classic car scene at the age of 19. Now a full-time writer, Long has had more than 50 books published since 1990, including many works on German marques. He is a member of the RJC (Researchers' & Journalists' Conference of Japan), a committee member of the Japan Automotive Hall of Fame and a member of the Society of Automotive Historians. He also is constipated and suffers from writers' block."

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Is Brian Long a "Long Time Lurker?"

10. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I actually have another book by him. It's a history of the Nikon camera company. Not bad.

11. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

From the publisher's blurb - "A book of ancient history (at least by the time it was finished), 20 years in the making."

12. zenitb

zenitb Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    LosAngeles
    I am in the book trade and have followed this book for about five years. First, the publisher claimed that the book was completed but Ferrari (who apparently agreed earlier) would not allow their original photos/images to be used. So, the book was redone, re-edited with new images which took a few years it appears. Now, Ferrari asks the book to be licensed by them. this is something that I hear, Veloce is not interested in doing.
    Now a disclaimer, only part of this I heard directly from Veloce, other info has come from sources who are close enough to the subject to be trusted I think. Kind of sad, we need a good, reasonably priced Dino book.

13. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Just checking my Amazon account today wondering if I really would receive the long ago ordered Brian Long book this month so I sent an email to the publisher. Here's the reply:
    Hi George,

Many thanks for your email.

I’m afraid that “Dino - The V6 Ferrari” by Brian Long is down as ‘Postponed indefinitely’. This is because we’ve come across some complications. This means that I don’t know when to expect it to be printed, I’m sorry.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be of much help.

Kind regards,
    Emma Shanes
    Veloce Publishing
    Tel: (01305) 260068
    [email protected]
    Veloce Publishing

14. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So, has Ferrari S. p. A. screwed this up for everyone?

15. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006

I just received this from Amazon this morning:

Brian Long "Dino: The V6 Ferrari"
    New Delivery Estimate: May 19, 2014 - June 09, 2014

I wonder where Amazon gets their info and why would they be stringing me (us) along?

16. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    This information would be fed to Amazon from the publisher, author, or distributor and then automatically updated by Amazon.

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ryan speaks from a position of authority. Let's hope the publisher can actually make the deadline.

18. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Amazon just cancelled my order for the Brian Long "Dino" book, presumably because it isn't going to be published anytime soon. I originally ordered it December 31, 2008...and it was continually delayed until finally canceling now.

Does anyone know what's up with Brian's book?

19. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I've got to hand it to you for hanging on for six years. I gave up after just one. It's safe to say at this point that it will never see the light of day.

20. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    I'm still waiting for mine. I've only waited 2 years! :) :) ;-)

21. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Maybe it got swept up in last year's Polar Vortex, never to return to earth!

22. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The Dino has been much better researched and critiqued in the last few years led by Matthias's new book and by this forum. The bar has been truly raised for any author!

Freeman

23. BRIAN JP

BRIAN JP Rookie

Mar 20, 2015
    Japan
    Full Name:
    BRIAN LONG
    I was just looking to see what the publication date is on the Long Dino book myself, and came across this. There are a few notes that virtually sum things up, but looking at some of the comments, you guys deserve an explanation, so here goes from the horse's mouth:

The book WAS initially finished in February 2008 at my end. A refusal on the use of pictures was not the problem, it was the extortionate cost of repro fees that threw a spanner in the works (most manufacturers are happy to provide images FOC or at cost - I could buy a car with the bill that would have faced me on this project). And yes, the idea of a licence is crazy - 69 books and I've never come across this before. Ultimately, as things were, it would have cost me three or four times more to have the book published than write-off several months of work. I hope you can understand that, as I have no other form of income to fall back on. Writer's block and other maladies are not the problem GTS ;)

But anyway, the revised version has been sent to the publishers this month. I've been told it will come out in the next slot available, but there is no firm date. No-one can be more sorry for the delay than the publisher and I. If we're lucky, though, watch out for something later this year...

24. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Hi Brian,

I'm the OP. I hope it happens for you and us.
    Good luck.
    Now I wonder if Amazon still has my order. Why don't you let us know when it's actually out.

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Brian,

Thanks for your post and welcome to F-Chat! As a Porsche enthusiast, I've been a huge fan of your Porsche books. I have many of them in my library and find them a great resource.

Best,
    Freeman