Door Lock Nylon Bushings | FerrariChat

Door Lock Nylon Bushings

Discussion in '206/246' started by dman550, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    #1 dman550, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Over the past couple of weeks I have been trying to get my door locks working. It all got started when I knew the outer door locks weren't connected when I turned the key. So I took the door panels off and when in search of WHY??? Starting with the passenger door.... I got in there I noticed as expected the lock rod was not connected and was dangling. It took a while but I figured out when my car was painted the latch was taken out and when reinstalled is must of been spun 360 kinking the inner handle cable. The inner handle over rides the door lock the latch was always in a state of being opened (just barely)! Just enough to not allow the lock knob to be pushed down or up. As soon as I released the tension the lock knob moved freely up and down. I reconnected the lock shaft and greased everything else then WOW it worked great!

When I moved over to the Drivers door the same thing was happening. Only different thing was the plastic bushing and the circlip were missing. I looked everywhere inside the door and found nothing. So I went over to my friends machine shop today and made some up. It worked perfectly. Reinstalled everything and both doors work as good as new.

So if anyone is missing there nylon lock bushing send me a note I made a few extra.

Dario
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
  3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #3 pshoejberg, Mar 31, 2014
  4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, May 30, 2015
    I just installed and adjusted my door locks on my Euro E series Dino and have rod clips at both the key lock connection and interior lock knob pull.

BTW, I ran into the same problem with the other rod that goes up to the interior lock knob pull, the rod clip was broken that attaches to the door lock pull. These are actually commonly used in most modern cars so finding them in a local autosports store is easy. When I measured mine I found the clip that fits is for a 5mm rod in a 8,5mm hole. I found a set of 8 clips + adapters at O'Reilly's and used the 5mm rod and sleeved the 8.5mm hole with one size up adapter.

The interior of the Dino door has an amazing resemblance to modern cars; door action, lock mechanisms, and door card attaching are quite similar.

PS - There are cables used for the interior lock and exterior door pulls, bonnet, engine, trunk and emergency release. I've used these stainless bicycle cables and when I went to REI to buy them I see they now offer a low friction version for a few bucks more.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    elaborate on the "one size up adaptor" please.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #6 pshoejberg, May 31, 2015

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    need to order both right and left sides. also, could not locate the adaptors.
    oreillys did not have the clips.....part number?

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If I had waited and ordered the correct 8.5mm hole with 5mm rod clip then no adapter would have been required, I just needed something to fill the 8.5mm completely.

I don't recognise that UK post but in the US I see the Toyota Tundra uses that same, with yellow for driver's side and white for Passenger's side
    50 Door Lock Rod Clip 5mm Left Driver Side Handle A 20535 69293 12060 for Toyota | eBay

PS - there is also a second clip on each lock set, for the keyed cylinder connection to lock release

13. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Since we're on the subject of door locks, does anyone have the connecting rod that operates between the external door lock and the latch? It's about 4"/100mm long and is made up of a Pivot, Bushing, Seeger Ring and Gamma - which translate to the rod, a bushing, a clip and a small barrel shaped threated nut with a small arm that makes the connection to the latch. I can source everything but the "nut" new. So, any help out there?

14. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #14 dgt, Jun 6, 2015
    Peter,
    Part# 20-42-30 should still be available for your L-series from eurospares....
    Best, Andrew

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks Andrew, Cost is around 5£ each, a steal these days for a Dino part!

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Scott, did you order 50, L & R?
    I only need enough for two cars. Care to sell some?

Regards, Alberto

18. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Sorry for taking so long to post a reply. I sent out all the extras I made soon after I posted. if you guys get stuck I will spend a few hours behind the lathe and make some more.

Dario

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Scott, just bought the set you recommended.

Regards, Alberto