front windscreen - crack | FerrariChat

front windscreen - crack

Discussion in '206/246' started by pk246gt, Mar 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Horror of Horrrors! Just found a crack in my original windscreen which was reinstalled several weeks ago. The crack has just shown up after being transported so not sure at this stage what the cause is...may see more when i pull it out. The crack appears to have started under the rubber on the RHS and extended a couple of inches out and down.

I will replace it, but unsure who to get the new one from.

I've noticed Superformance and Dinoparts.de have them...any recommendations - particularly regarding recently fitted?

Thanks, Paul.

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    My experience of the DinoParts screen was not good. It was badly made and produced a very distorted vision as a result. I haven't tried the Superformance version. My Ferrari dealer here sources the screens direct from Pilkingtons' Classic division and they are excellent quality. Pilkingtons bought out the OEM glass supplier in the 90's.

3. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    my screen is badly scratched and has started to delaminate, and needs to be replaced .... could you let me know the approximate cost of the Pilkintons version , pls?
    thanks j

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    It is around £600 I think from memory.

5. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Iain,
    Ive put in an inquiry to S/Formance with some questions including delivery down under etc.

I thought perhaps the one they sold might be the Pilkingtons windscreen..any idea if this is the case?

Has anyone installed the S/Formance screen?

6. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    my screen is badly scratched and has started to delaminate, and needs to be replaced .... could you let me know the approximate cost of the Pilkintons version , pls?
    thanks j

7. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Sorry to hear of your windscreen issues Paul. If you need one in a hurry, you can try Miles at Cavallino motorsport in Sydney, I think he has them in stock, you can mention my name if you call.

On a windscreen related issue, can I ask if you buy a new windscreen from Ferrari, what brand do you receive?

and...can anyone tell me what would have been fitted originally to a 246 GTS, and, what watermark would have appeared on the screen, and where?

Thanks for any information.

8. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Carl,

I'll look into the option with Cavallino.

Re the 'watermark', from memory my windscreen has the 'Sicursiv' name on the top left hand side of the screen.

Iain,
    Can I ask, is your local dealer Maranello Classsic parts?

9. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Thanks Paul,

If you have a chance, would it be possible to photograph the logo? I am trying to determine the style of the logo (If in fact it was Sicursiv as the OEM supplier when the cars were new)

BTW, Cavallino's number 02 9905 3654

10. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No probs Carl,
    The car's at the trimmers so I'll post an image in the next day or so.

Cheers for the number.

11. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    That is very kind, thanks Paul.

12. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Paul:

While it would be idea to find an OEM windscreen with the logo that is original to the car, just know that you can replace the logo if you can't find an NOS windscreen.

An experienced glass polisher can remove the new logo without distorting the glass and then you can make a copy of the original logo, have it replicated and then acid etched on your new windscreen.

Cheers,

Keith

13. mebowles

mebowles Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Great tip Keith, thanks! My windscreen is original and in pretty good condition. I have considered having it removed and replaced in order to keep it pristine in our harsh Colorado road conditions here. Too much gravel even on the best of days. Has anyone done this or am I becoming obsessive...again.

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  15. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Cheers, Ian

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For about $300 I had a product called Clearplex installed on my front windshield and have had it for the last 20k Kms. It is an invisible windshield protection film and I'm very happy with it.
    Windshield Protection Products - ClearPlex

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Pebble Beach winning shop, Dennison International, has had five Dinos in their shop recently and as a matter of restoration has been reproducing many of the correct stickers. They have now created the glass ID etchings that Darren there terms "windscreen bugs".

If you need new OEM glass logo, their contact is here:
    http://dennisoninternational.com/

18. mebowles

mebowles Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks Scott. I think that I will give this a try.

19. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #19 pk246gt, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Are the later cars original glass made Sigla?

21. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#21 dinogts, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    After Synchro had Clearplex installed on one of his Dinos, I thought I would try it on my Audi Avant since I had just finished replacing the windshield before trying it on our blue Dino. It was fine for about 2 weeks until during a trip to Montana when a car pulled out in front of me and a very small pebble hit my windshield. My friend and I didn't see it but we both heard just a slight ping. We couldn't see any damage for the next 5 minutes. Then, I noticed a crack starting to spread from the extreme left edge of the windshield. It started to work its way into my field of vision just an inch or two above eye level. When we stopped for lunch, the crack was about 7 inches long. We came out after lunch 45 minutes later and the crack had grown to about TWO FEET. By the time I got home 3 days later, it was 4 feet across and arched down to the bottom. I took the car back to the same installers that Synchro used and they couldn't believe it. The pebble had hit the just inside the edge of the Clearplex, but not directly on the glass (they can lay the Clearplex up to about 1/8 of an inch of the windshield surround). Needless to say, I had to replace my windshield again. My insurance company was not amused, but they didn't give me a bad time about it when I told them I had tried to protect it with Clearplex.

My glass installer told me that the three inch area along the edges of the windshield is the stiffest part of the glass and the lack of flex likely caused the break and crack.

He told me that if it had been hit farther in (even with a larger pebble or rock) that there would probably have been no damage whatsoever to the windshield with the Clearplex. However, if hit hard enough (but not enough to chip a window with Clearplex), the Clearplex will get a little pimple.

So, it probably is worth trying on a rare and expensive windshield, but don't expect a miracle.

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I consider my Clearplex disposable and am convinced it is the best money I've spent to drive my Dino.

Have also heard there is a thickness difference in the reproduction glass and wondered how it fits - anyone have an experience?

23. maxlouis

maxlouis Rookie

Oct 27, 2011
    I need a new windscreen; any views on green glass with or without a green or blue top tint? Dinoparts seems to offer 4 variations.

Many thanks.