Overhauling 246 alternator | FerrariChat

Overhauling 246 alternator

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Apr 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #1 pshoejberg, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The original alternator on my early L-series has most likely done a great job for many years but it gave up finally when I drove the car home a few hours after I purchased the car. Upon inspection of the alternator the verdict was clear: The alternator was completely shot with 1 diode burned, the main shaft bend and the whole unit covered in thick engine oil. Due to the bend shaft decision was taken to buy a new alternator from Superformance. The SF unit is a aftermarket model that bolts right on, but unfortunately it doesn't look exactly like the original. After a few minutes consideration I decided to rebuild my old alternator using all the internal parts from the SF unit. Hereby I kept the original appearance but the alternator will in practice be as new. The conversion process is as follows:

1. Dismantle the old alternator. Give the two aluminum halves a good clean.
    2. Grind away the 4 rivets on the old front cover and remove the old front bearing.
    3. Press out the 3 diodes from the old back cover (Use a hydraulic press or a wise).
    4. Dismantle the new alternator (Make a diagram of how the diodes etc. are connected), remove the front bearing and diodes for re-use.
    5. Turn away 2 mm of the front bushing on the new rotor since for some reason the new rotor is wider than the old. It's best to do this in a lathe, but I used my wise equipped we two 2 set screws, an electric drilling machine, a piece of bicycle tube and a grinder.....Poor man's machine but works like a charm...-:)
    6. Assembel all the new internals in the old casing. Take care that all electrical connections are made exactly as original and check that there are no possible way that any wire can shortcut to ground. Aluminum rivets can be used to attach the fixture for the front bearing as an alternativ to steel.

Have fun

Peter

This is the old original alternator being disassembled:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Love the test bench great stuff never ceases to amaze me what ferrari chatters can do.
    Cheers

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bump for a great resource on this critical Dino item and common failure point