Something CRAZY happened today.... | FerrariChat

Something CRAZY happened today....

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Jun 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    THE MARKET HAS GONE MAD!!!!!!

A VERY interesting transaction happened today. The Dino Market is strong, but this pushes the market into a new level.

Inquiring minds want to know, but private sales are private sales......

;)

In all seriousness, I used to post on forums about cars and values and stopped because I felt it was being criticized that I was doing so for self-serving reasons.

It was simply a way for me to keep track of stuff.....

Where does everyone think we are headed? Let's be realistic, values are exceeding on a regular basis where I thought they should be. I have said for some time a Dino should bring what a current V8 model could bring. This horse has long since left the barn.....

2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I just received "Cavallino" #201 yesterday. In the "Guida" section, Dino prices hit the roof. The 246 GT went from $200K-$480 K in the last issue to $300K-$650K in the current issue. I just traded a 246 GT toward a 458 Spider. Do I have impeccable timing, or what? Fred

3. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    Whats the gts then?

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The GTS range went from $220K-$506K to $250K-$650K. The 206 GT went from $200K-$300K to $400K-$650K. Fred

5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Like what happen in the late 80's- you must make a choice regarding the current collector price, take the money and run, or I love this vehicle regardless. Just who or what is pushing this current market! Having owned and loved mine,we all know it is not a 500,000 dollar auto. Did very well selling my 512 BBi in the late 80's, however it was very bad for the purchaser a short time after the purchase. When the end came it was swift, and the prices paid if you figure in the inflation factor have not been equaled yet with the Boxer even the 300,000 recent increases and we currently are approx. 24 yrs since the event I am talking about. All I am saying is be careful!

6. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    It's a bubble.

7. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    scroll down to my comment.,Sunday Times rich list,The comment is that many rich people don't give a toss about classic cars. I believe the same applies to paintings hanging on the wall,or even worse,sitting in a secure vault. Art is ,at best,two dimensional...you can look at it,or you may be able to smell it. A classic car,you can look at it,smell it,listen to it,drive it,take it down to the pub,go on holiday with it,and a million other things. The only thing you can not do is hang it on the wall! I still believe that classic automobiles will outrank the other investments. Life is for living after all.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    in my opinion while people feel they are being shafted by the banks, governments & pensions, desirable items will be sought after as they trust what they can hold or put in the safe [garage]

So while this current mistrust is within the world and people regain that trust I believe some will start to think for themselves instead of relying on the "so called" experts.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Top deal!

congrats Fred!

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great move Fred, you should have have received some change ;)

Regards, Alberto

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks, Tex and Alberto. However, I was the one who had to come up with some "change"! I just thought it was the right time to get into a newer car, and I still have my "forever" Dino, which I bought in 1976. I now have three blue metallic Ferraris: 246 GT, F430 Spider and 458 Spider. As Enzo is rumored to have said: "Any color, as long as it's blu!" Regards, Fred

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You had me worried Fred, no more Dino? Impossible! Blu? Perfect!

Regards, Alberto

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #13 swift53, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Shawn, you are such a p.t. :)

Regards, Alberto

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I plead ignorance, what does "p.t." Mean?

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    What is even more interesting is who is buying....

I can't say anything else.

This is very surreal.

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    pt= pr**k tzzzzrrrr

17. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    I'm hoping the market will crash just enough so that I can buy a 250 TDF. Keeping the Dino no mater what.

18. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    #18 fast&faster, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Yes, but Please consider a painting on a wall is not subjected to being rear-ended & totaled, such as a car is. I would venture to state that the vast majority of collectable high end cars ( High End valuation is subjective) do become such as High End Collectable art. Static, transported to & from car shows in enclosed trailors, driven only onto the Concourse grasses & parked. Thus the reason these cars are only viewed on Concourse lawns & not on public roads.

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    The 458 is quite attractive, isn't it, Fred. I was shocked at your decision initially, but then noted you have one Dino still. I have an order for an Italia but have no idea when it will be delivered.

Andy

20. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #20 stevel48, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Uh hem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Um, wow!

22. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Andy, I found a 458 Spider in Tour de France blue, the same color as my F430 Spider. Since my remaining Dino is Blu Sera, I had to go for it! Regards, Fred

23. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    look at the prices this way

The mercedes gullwing coupes and roadsters were produced in the same numbers as dinos . And there survival rate is much better than the dino they sell for 1.5-2 million its just a matter of time i suspect in 10-15 years time the dinos will fetch the same price

Remember todays HIGH is only tomorrows Low

24. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    #24 elipinski, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    May i say, that i see this differently. A painting hangs on the wall, gives you pleasure looking at it, does not need a lot of maintenance, it just hangs there. A car is filled with grease, fluids, gasoline, lots of rubbers, if you dont use it, it deteriorates, if you use it, there is allways the chance, of loosing it in an accident or by malfunction ( fire etc.). For investment i would rather have a painting as an object dart. just mvho. kind regards- e

25. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Paintings & artwork are nice. And, like some cars may appreciate over time. However, you should own that which makes you smile – that’s where the value resides. Otherwise, keep your investments in a vault.

I have the pleasure of owning a 246 GTS and it makes me smile whether I’m looking at it in the garage, driving it or under it. I maintain it as a driver – not a show piece. Rock chips are a fact of life as is changing oil. I believe a vehicle deteriorates more if it isn’t driven.

If owning art gives you the most pleasure, own art. Except for a select few, you can’t rely on either works of art or cars to maintain their value. Given the blend of visual and visceral pleasure provided by the Dino, it has the greatest smile value for me.

Ken