Original wheel choc? | FerrariChat

Original wheel choc?

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyJerseyUK, Jun 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi,

If anyone has a wheel choc they'd be prepared to sell me for my 206 (I believe 206 & 246 chocs are the same) please PM me. Mine was stolen en route from the US to the UK IN 2010 (saw a photo of the whole tool kit in the boot incl.choc before it set sail, and that was the last sight of it) :-(

Many thanks,

Tony

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Doesn't surprise me Tony as these items are becoming very expensive, Superformance have them listed but unsure of accuracy.
    They do pop up from time to time.

3. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Superformance repro's are very good.

4. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks, but unless it's a mechanical item that's needed to actually keep the car running, I just can't see the point in buying a reproduction.

Maybe it's just me missing the point...

Cheers,

Tony

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The original item is a very simple design and had no manufacturer markings. It's an easy item to replicate and the Superformance ones come from Italy I believe. I have both original and repro chocks and the main difference is the new ones do not have chipped paint or dents in them ;)

I can understand the desire for an original but bear in mind it's hidden out of view beneath the spare wheel.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    An original, when they come up seem to be $400 plus (and unlikely to get cheaper!). Superformance repro $85.

7. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Fair comment, Iain (as always). I was offered one on here a few months ago for £500, but didn't reply quick enough to buy it!

All these old bits and pieces are becoming valuable, aren't they? In the past three or four years I've managed to lose the original key ring, wallet & handbooks AND chassis plate (the car exploded in 1985) for my old 308 Vetro. I kept these items as a souvenir of my first Fezzer, bought in the early 80s. Have been told recently that the chassis plate in particular was "a wee bit valuable". :(

8. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I certainly see your point of originality. Your Dino is an expensive collectable and part of the fun in collecting is originality in total! It's sort of like being an art connoisseur and your establishment is decorated with reproductions and the real stuff belongs to your next door neighbor. The point is you may fool your friends with reproductions,but not yourself if your" Passion" was to bring your car as close to factory days. Only you can establish what this collectable means to you.
    To me when I owned my new Dino, I loved my first Ferrari, drove it everywhere, but was negligent in keeping stuff together or in place, thus making hard for you guys to find all this old stuff, but in doing so fueled some of your passions.

9. MaxR

MaxR Karting

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    Tony,

I have 2 additional Wheel chocks. Let me know if you still need one.

Max

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I bought the Superformance repro a few years ago because I needed one for judging, but kept an eye out for a used original. Once I was able to snap up an original earlier this year, I sold the repro on eBay for a very slight loss.

11. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the info, Max. I have sent you a pm.

12. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

We have the original 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX if you need them or was your car one of the earlier cars on 185R14 tyres?

13. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the offer, Dougal, but I buy tyres for all my classics from Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu, which always give me a fantastic deal.

Cheers,

Tony

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Originally my car was delivered with the XWX 185R14 size tires (Early 246). Do you recommend to install this size today or are there any advantages by going with the 205 size?

Regards

Peter

15. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    The reason for buying a reproduction would be
    1. The price and
    2. If you entered the car in a concours, the judges would look for the chock and deduct if not present.
    3. I don't think anybody uses these for changing a tire, or the scary jack for that matter.

If you were to also enter the car for a preservation award, then you might lose a fraction of a point for not having an original chock.

Original, I don't think so. Reproduction from an original mold more likely as I have bought XWXs from you and they were not dated 1972. And by the way, great price and very quick shipping. Thank you.