Clutch cable installation | FerrariChat

Clutch cable installation

Discussion in '206/246' started by Ducati348, Jun 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    I had a clutch cable snap the other day on my 1972 GT. I installed a new green cable and am having trouble getting it hooked up. Is there a procedure for installing a new cable that anyone is aware of? I have spent several hours trying to get the cable and spring hooked up appropriately with no luck. I definitely do not want to damage the new cable. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #2 simonc, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can you explain in greater detail where the problem is?

When I installed a new cable on mine (a 73 GT #05898) I had to put spacing washers at the front end - see below. From what I have read these are almost always needed. My cable was from Superformance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Thanks for the quick response. I don't seem to be able to get enough slack in the able to get the helper spring installed. If you could elaborate a little more on what order of attachment you followed that might help, i.e. did you install the helper spring first and then connect the cable ends?

4. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    When I bought my car a new clutch cable had already been installed. It had been shimmed at the pedal end - similar to that shown in the picture. There was only enough threads left to allow the nut to be fully engaged. The clutch still did not fully release and I added an additional, 3mm, U shaped shim under the bracket at the other end. That eliminated the dragging clutch and allowed me to properly set the “bell crank” at the clutch. It works just fine now.

Getting the spring in place at the pedal end – now that’s another story…

5. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    The helper spring to which you refer is at the clutch end of the cable. I have read comments about people just using their body weight to press it down and into place. I had my wife sit in the driver's seat and push the clutch pedal in. That brought the "bell crank" to its lowest position and puts it in a position applying the least tension on the spring. I didn't have to use much force to move the spring into place.

If you’re talking about the return spring at the pedal end of the cable – I think fitting it is a chronic problem. I was never able to get it connected properly. I used a couple of “zip ties” through the hole where the spring would normally go and then around the end of the spring. I pulled the spring as tight to its normal location as possible. Apparently, the replacement springs have a bit more strength than originals. Since the clutch had worked without the return spring - losing a bit of tension didn't seem to make much difference.

6. Nickrry

Nickrry Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    did mine a month ago. needed a shim at the clutch end - mine is RHD. To put the helper spring back on I have a long hook fabricated from a piece of old 10mm pipe - its dead easy to pull it down from underneath
    Nick

7. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    How do you know if you need a spacing washer? Is it based on pedal play or is there an alignment issue that requires the spacer?

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #8 simonc, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Based on pedal play. There wasn't enough adjustment without the washers.

9. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Was your cable from Superformance? Maybe they have the cable lengths slightly off on the ones they sell because it seems everyone needs these spacers when they fit a replacement cable. I didn't spend ages working out what size washers were needed. I put in two washers and it was better but still not right, I put in three and it was fine so I left it at three and made the final adjustment via the adjusting nuts.

10. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    I got the cable from Ferrparts and it did need to get shimmed to work correctly too. I had some friends come over and between all three of us we were able to get the spring installed. I adjusted the clutch play and all looks good! Thanks for all your help.

11. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Glad to hear it is sorted out :)