Color questions spare parts Dino 246 L series | FerrariChat

Color questions spare parts Dino 246 L series

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Jun 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #1 pshoejberg, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello fellow dino enthusiast,

I need some paint advice regarding all the black parts on my 246 Dino L series. I believe most parts shall be matt but better safe than sorry. Which of the following black parts shall be gloss or matt:

Shock springs
    Airbox - Lid for same - Airfilter box and lid for same
    Wishbones
    Oil / water heat exchanger
    Wheel hubs
    Torsion bar
    front / rear lid hinges
    Engine mounts
    Starter
    Ignition coil
    Brake / clutch pedal
    harmonic damper
    fresh air system components
    oil level pin guide pipe
    Fan motor blades
    Various Fiber glass panels

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards Peter

The wife has started producing a special kind of heat lowing vegetables in the greenhouse:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I can only give you my opinion based upon the colours I found on my 73 246GT and the research I did on this forum and in various books. I am sure others will add their views as well.

Satin Black paint:
    Shock springs
    Airbox - Lid for same - Airfilter box and lid for same
    Wishbones
    Oil / water heat exchanger
    Wheel hubs
    Torsion bar
    Brake / clutch pedal
    harmonic damper
    oil level pin guide pipe
    Fan motor blades
    front lid hinges

Nickel Plated - silver:
    rear lid hinges

Various:
    Engine mounts - mine were satin black and my new replacements came in black so I left them this way
    Starter - mine has been rebuilt and is now all black but I think this is wrong. I think the end plate and front part should be natural aluminum, the body satin black and the metal band that goes around the body should be nickel plated silver
    Ignition coils - mine were both satin black and original I think. I can send photos if you wish.
    Various Fiber glass panels - I used satin black on the inspection shields and underneath the wings. I think the main fiberglass sections used in the front wheel well, the interior tub and so on were also satin black. I painted my interior tub satin black and left the front wheel well original.

A good tip someone told me when trying to decide colours was that if a piece was cast it was plated and if it was welded it was painted (usually satin black). I have generally found this to be true.

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #3 pshoejberg, Jul 1, 2014
    Excellent Simon, thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed description. I have chosen about the same color scheme as you mention. The starter I keep all satin black based on some old pictures I found in a user manual. Lid hinges are painted black satin since I believe that's how there were originally on the "L" series. I might have bummed on the shock springs.....I took the liberty and painted them gloss this morning, but I can easily correct that with a light sanding and a layer of matt black.

Best

Peter

4. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Possibly do the springs in powder coating so that they could last longer and that is what OE suppliers paint them in.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Peter this is a subject I spent an enormous amount of time researching before re-finishing parts. Getting the correct colour can be tricky because often times gloss parts are exposed to heat making them look flatter over time or low gloss parts get impregnated with oil making them look glossier than they are. As such a lot of effort went into trying to figure out what was correct for our M Series Dino. While you are looking for details pertaining to an L series I believe that most of the items you asked for clarification on are pretty universal across all of the series.

Secondly before sharing my findings on colour I would like to break down gloss levels of black down to 4 main levels:

Gloss - Shiny and if well polished would give a very good reflection to light

Semi-gloss - About 70% of full gloss

Satin - About 60% of full gloss but still has a shine to the surface

Matt - Almost no gloss and I have not seen evidence of us of matt finish anywhere by Ferrari. Sometimes sub-assemblies supplied by other suppliers will use some matt. Aged semi or satin can easily be mistaken for matt which is where close investigation comes in to be sure.

With these levels of black clarified I believe the parts you are painting should be the following colours:

Shock springs - Gloss black (seems to be fairly common for Ferrari and I checked this against NOS springs)

Airbox - Lid for same - Airfilter box and lid for same - Semi-gloss black (if anything a fraction more gloss than other semi-gloss parts)

Wishbones- Semi-gloss

Oil / water heat exchanger -Semi-gloss (often mistaken for gloss because of oil contamination over the years)

Wheel hubs - Raw cast iron. Can be coated with satin clear or cast iron paint to prevent almost immediate rust. If you are referring to the cast uprights they receive an ultra thin layer of gloss black. Too much and they will look too shiny and like plastic.

Torsion bar - I have seen both gloss and semi-gloss

front / rear lid hinges - Satin black to match all fiberglass panels and chassis. The rear trunk articulating hinges go in a satin zinc finish or cadmium silver

Engine mounts - Semi-gloss with no paint on the rubbers

Starter - Satin black

Ignition coil - satin black

Brake / clutch pedal -semi-gloss black

harmonic damper - Satin black

fresh air system components - Semi-gloss black

oil level pin guide pipe- Semi-gloss

Fan motor blades - Semi-gloss

Various Fiber glass panels- Satin black

In addition I will note a few things I saw in your photos:

- I cannot make out the Koni shocks but they go the early almost orange shade of red rather than later Koni's that are much closer to red.

- Wishbones are normally painted before the bushings are installed so some masking will be necessary to get the correct look

Good luck with your project.

6. brock328

brock328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2011
    Niagara, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fantastic explanation and breakdown Rob, I may need to rely on this information soon if I get the Dino I'm after.
    Regards,
    Mike

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Great Rob, finally a comprehensive and precise reference point for future restorations. And I can keep my springs in gloss black (I actually painted them gloss after looking at your Dino blog...-:)

8. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A couple of points...
    Some parts such as air box and air cleaner came from FISPA, the expansion tank from FIM and it appears they arrived pre-painted with a higher gloss level than other components on L-series cars.

Read this and don't get too hung up on the level of black gloss:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/139157785-post2.html

:)
    Andrew

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #9 pshoejberg, Jul 2, 2014
    Thanks for the "back to reality reminder"...-:). I'm doing my best to copy ferrari's approach to paint science: I'm buying the paint were it suits me best, I'm now mixing the gloss level using my gut feeling by mixing high gloss and flat matt paint, I'm spraying in a non controllable environment and I'm drying the paint in the greenhouse. Never the less i'm pretty satisfied with the end result and it feels much more satisfying to follow the appearently common agreement around these gloss levels.

Regards Peter

Thanks to Rob I had to lighty sand all the engine auxiliaries and apply a layer of Semi gloss black...(My time is at no cost). Looks much better and may have more wear resistance as well:

10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #10 dgt, Jul 2, 2014
    Peter, you added an extra step and missed two:
    - no primer
    - pre-rust them prior to paint
    - thin the paint ALOT
    :)
    Photos below are NOS L-series components showing the paint "of the day they were done" and L-series orange Konis.
    Painting fibreglass panels on early cars is straightforward as not much paint was originally applied to the actual fibreglass itself. I believe this was the procedure:
    1. paint the whole chassis and underbody with crappy black paint (no fibreglass installed)
    2. install all the fibreglass
    3. paint under the hood (spare tire tub)
    4. paint underneath the front of the car incl. under the spare tire tub and front footwells.
    5. paint inside rear wheelwells but not on top.
    6. paint the undertray.
    They basically painted anything you could see from outside or by lifting the hood, everywhere else was unpainted. Most folks prime and paint everything during restoration these days.

Rob,
    Front bushing body (in black zinc) was welded onto the wishbone and the bush installed then painted over, on L's at least. Nice list!

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the nice pictures Andrew. I got the local paint pusher to mix that orange / red for my shocks. I have wasted a fortune on primer and 2K paints, wasted hours on blasting and sanding and only outcome is that I have moved the car further away from original appearance....I promise to lower my standard for any future work on the car...-:) Best Peter

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #12 pshoejberg, Jul 3, 2014
    Another color question for the experts....
    Is this how the steering rack should be painted originally? I have the same type of rack in my 308, but that's not painted.

Regards Peter

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Peter your steering rack is totally correct to have the center and side pieces painted black. We re-painted our rack after making this discovery and have since updated the blog with a large note to not mislead anyone.

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You are fast on the keyboard.....Thanks a lot. I will judge the paint color to be semi gloss black...-:).

Peter

15. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    What about the original red/yellow/etc. paint stripes on the springs? Does anyone have photos of an original set of springs?