Side view mirror Placment???. | FerrariChat

Side view mirror Placment???.

Discussion in '206/246' started by dman550, Jul 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I am now at the last stages of getting #1624 back on the road. One thing I wanted to install in the name of safety is a side view mirror. I have the door panel off and I think I can see a (one) blemish where a hole may of been, but I thought to ask if I could get some measurements on where the mirror should go.

Is it possible at a car delivered into Italy wouldn't have had a mirror installed. It make sense I have driven in Italy. No one looks back :) But is it possible it lived it's hole life and never got one?

Looking forward to hearing back thanks,

Dario

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Not just possible, but most likely

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Italian law of the era, stated that all that was needed was one mirror, the one inside, and that law applied only to manufacturers. Even then, some were pathetically small, i.e. Giulietta spiders.
    Traffic was virtually nonexistant in the 50's and "Il sorpasso", was the norm. Anyone driving, had to pass the next car, it was always a personal race.

Installing a door/fender mirror, was another great rust starter as no one would remove the door panel and do a proper installation. Outside mirrors do not look attractive, except for the Talbots installed on the 50's German cars, or Pebble Beach bespoke specials.

Installing an outside mirror, was effete and quasi unmanly. Fellow members that live in the 3rd world, can widely attest that mirrors are not used for driving purposes, possibly only reversing and applying makeup, if so inclined.

I would not install an outside mirror, but will most likely become another effete unmanly driver :)

Regards, Alberto

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #4 Wheels1, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These photos are somewhere in the Aus. section, they were taken in 1973 at the factory.

There are more photos that show most cars with no mirrors, but two with door mirrors of different types. Sorry I can't remember who has copyright.

If your traffic is as bad as we have in the UK Dario, then I would fit door mirrors, as I have done to my Daytona.

I don't need it for my make up Alberto, just my hair! LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    Hello Dario. I'm restoring my L series now and as you know both doors are aluminium. I can tell you that the car never had an outside mirror in any of both doors. I wil install only one in the driver door, because now in my country is mandatory by law the driver outside one.
    Regards, Alvaro

6. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    If your Dino was Italian delivered I would also not installed an external mirror. They were uncommon in cars during that era as they weren't required for road registration. It is part of what makes your Dino unique.

The Talbots on my Dino are almost useless anyway...

7. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Well I have a nice repro mirror for sale. I sprung for the good one. anyone interested :)

Apparently I need to learn to drive shoulder checking both sides.

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That is not me in the photo by the way.

9. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Sure...... To bad - I was about to PM you for your stylist number.

10. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Somewhere on the internet I found a diagram showing the correct placement for the drivers side, but the vent window will hit the mirror when trying to open all the way. UGH!

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott