Sourcing replacement door windows for GT | FerrariChat

Sourcing replacement door windows for GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by HMB-Dino, Jul 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Trying to find a replacement door window (the one that rolls up). It appears that the windows for GT's are different than GTS's. It also appears that the windows for L/M series are different than for E's.

Anyone know of a tried and true source of replacement door rollup window for an L or M series GT?

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    This morning I got to see an original driver door window from a 206GT (brand Securit) compared against a repro for a 246GT (brand Euroglass). The original 206 glass has a noticeably greater curvature in the top 5-7" of glass and its top profile is also different than the repro (it does not match the height of the original along its top edge).

This difference causes the repro to not follow the side window channels as the window is rolled up. As a result the repro glass pops out of the channels.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I admit to becoming easily confused (so I am not trying to insult you), but I can't fathom what you posted.

Are you looking for a 246 window?

Are you looking for a 206 window?

Are you trying to make repro 246 window work in a 206?

Regardless, I found there was a difference between 246gts windows and 246gt windows, so with 246 windows at least, you need to verify that the window (whether an original or repro) is for a gt or a gts.

With respect to a 206, I thought that the windows were different from 246 windows due to the slightly different scale, shape, and form of the 206 cabin and roofline.

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Looking for a driver side door (roll up) window to fit my M-series 246GT. It's had on loan an original out of a 206GT which fit reasonably well, though not perfect.

Of course I would prefer to find an original window, preferably a Secursiv one to match the other door & vent windows. But a repro that fits and can be stenciled with the Secursiv pattern is also acceptable. So far (2) repros which were claimed to be for a GT have not even come close to working when installed...most certainly because of the difference in window curvature.

5. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
  6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    As I stated in my 2nd post UroGlas is a no-go...actually I had misspelled the name before. The eBay listed item is UroGlas. Superformance glass is the same glass. An FerrParts is one of the 2 sources of repros that was tried and failed miserably.

Next time I visit my Dino at my mechanic's, I'll take a photo of the 206 Securit original next to the UroGlas repro...the difference is so obvious.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #7 TTR, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    First, I admit I rarely if ever post in this particular section and that I don't have experience with Dino side glass, per se or immediate solution for your problem, but I have been producing curved glass, mainly windshields and rear glass with several (curved) side window projects thrown in to mix for all sorts of obsolete vintage vehicle applications, including many rare and one-off examples, for about twenty years now.
    Among other things, I'm currently working on producing all new side glass for Daytonas including slight redesign for their vent glass shape which originally have notoriously poor fit resulting to infamous never-ending saga of latch handles breaking off.
    Secondly, I'm not saying I will be able to assist you, but if you can't find any other solutions and you're interested in discussing options I can offer, I can provide my contact info through PM. Or vice versa.
    Sorry, I don't have facebooks or websites, but have been in business (at same location) for nearly 25 years.
    Timo

Timo Tanskanen Restoration
    Riverside, CA

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you for the support Timo. I think Dinoland friends can use your talents.
    Please advise on what the procedure might be in order to provide you with the proper samples. Clearly, numbers is the isssue...:)
    Dayotona glass will be a welcome addition, I am certain...

Kind regards, Alberto

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Timo,

I'm sure there would be a lot of serious interest on this forum from Dino owners for a correct complete set of Dino glass with the correct bugs/logos. Please keep us posted!

Freeman

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #10 TTR, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Thank you Alberto, mr. Freeman (?) and Ron,

Before going any further with this I do have couple of things I wish bring to every ones attention.

First, I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to provide an "exact" copy of O.E.M. side/door windows, I mean single pane "tempered" glass since I don't have access to well qualified and/or cost-effective small production manufacturer for such method. All the tempered glass manufacturers I know have too much potential for similar (not very well fitting) quality already on the market. Most of the windshields, rear windows and curved side glass I've produced over the past two decades are and have been made of laminated glass with some exceptions of single pane curved side windows with or without "tempering". Latter experiments always ending up in recycling bin for aforementioned lack of qualified manufacturers.

Secondly, all the glass I produce will either have my "logo" or I can provide a glass without any for recepient to do with as they please since I will not want to infringe upon anybodys trademarks. The latter choice will obviously come without any potential recourse for warranty, sorry.

I'll welcome any feedback (private or public) regarding above comments since they will help gauge if worthwhile market might exist and/or if anybody knows of qualified, cost-effective, small production run capable manufacturer of curved tempered glass that I could work with...

Regards,
    Timo

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Timo,

The opportunity I think is in accurate tempered side and rear glass with a laminated windshield. Better no bug with someone organizing the correct artwork to apply. My immediate need is for a pair of vent windows because mine are scratched where previous attempts at attaching the latch has failed.

"Mr. Thomas" :)

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Freeman,
    I do agree for potentially better opportunity in tempered glass for side and rear glass, but in my 25+ years in vintage automotive restoration industry and providing windshields and other curved glass for all sorts of rate or one-off applications for about 20 years now, I'm yet to find a qualified and cost effective manufacturer with ability to do reasonably good quality, small production or one-off tempered glass, especially if the glass requires compound/multi-direction curvature. Even the single curvature tempered side glass projects I've experimented with over the years have all ended up as wasted time and money.
    But as I said, if enough interest exists, I could try to provide next best alternative which in most instances would be "almost" impossible to differentiate by casual viewing.
    Perhaps best way to gauge the potential would be any/all owners with serious intentions and willingness to "follow through" if required, to chime in with simple yes/no ?
    As for the pricing, we'll get to that once potential interest and idea for quantities is first established.
    Regards,
    Timo

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #13 4CamGT, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Timo,

First off, thanks for your expertise and sharing your thoughts. Sounds like you've been up this road a few times! Knowing many of the Dino characters, I think many would only accept accurate tempered glass for sides and back. In my business I deal a lot with creating one off concept vehicles so I can relate. The only ones I know who would make it correctly is MetalCrafters. They would be expensive but they already make restoration glass for other vendors. It would take someone with lots of spare time, lots of funds, endless perseverance and of course perfect master samples to be successful in doing this. I think others have tried and have ended up with close but not OEM fit and look. A thankless task but definitively worth doing!

Freeman

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #15 HMB-Dino, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not particularly good photos, but gives an idea of how far off repro glass (EuroGlas Starglass) is compared to an original, in this case 206GT, door glass.

In 1st photo, repro forward top edge is higher.
    In 2nd photo, the original 206GT glass is the right one (the more curved one)...the bases were held together showing how much more curved the original glass is.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ron,

What we need to do is take a form gauge and also trace the side-view outline on tracing paper to an original 206/L-Series Coupe door glass (all the way up, mounted in the door) and compare to an original M-Series Coupe and then an E-Series to see if in fact there are differences. Maybe we could encourage Jon or Matthias since they have all of them under one roof?

Freeman

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Freeman, there was a change of glasses for GT and GTS during E-series production..... change took place from body no. 1611
    different part no`s

18. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    A vendor I know well did tempered side glass for the Lancia Stratos and every one seems happy with them. I bought a set as well and didn't think the price was too bad. It is a compound curve glass similar to the Dino and not just flat glass.

19. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    #19 rosso corsa motorsport, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    there were differences even on the original glass on the length, but not on the curvature, I have new old stock vent windows and new old stock door window glass and seceral used for M and E to compare with for making a proper glass, we intend to manufacture tempered glass as the original for GT and GTS with the correct curvature in both directions and hopefully with sicursiv stamp, if there is enough interest. we dont sell them if they dont get perfect copy of the original glas

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #20 TTR, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Just out of curiosity, are you planning to utilize any of the "usual" east of Sweden manufacturers ? If yes, how close of contacts you have with them and how many similar tempered curved glass projects have you accomplished with them ?
    My experience is with this is only about twenty years and several hundred cars worth of glass produced for my specifications there, so I have some idea of the limitations involved.
    Of course most of my glass productions have been focusing on windshields (most commonly needed automotive glass item, duh), including numerous one-offs and prototype items for mainly vintage of makes like Bentley, Bizzarrini, Ferrari, Iso-Rivolta, Maserati, Rolls-Royce, Talbot-Lago, etc to name a few. Some of the more interesting projects include several special sets of curved glass for a collection of mid-50's vintage limousines being restored to certain middle eastern royal family or creating a properly fitting windshield from scratch for a Comp. 250 LWB Cal. Spyder brought to me with a "new" replacement w/s which I was expected to replace the broken and very poorly fitting one already in the car with. Unfortunately the "new" replacement glass they brought me, was made over in scandinavia to who knows what specs and had even worse fit, rendering it completely useless. Pictures I have would make anyone laugh and cry at the same time.
    Timo

21. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Have you checked this one out on eBay? It supposedly is (or was) in LA, and claims it is a left side 246gt window:

Ferrari Dino 246 Left Window Door Glass Sicursiv Clear | eBay

It is "only" $2,450.

CHEAP AT ANY PRICE!!!

22. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I think the more appropriate description is "highway robbery".

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Based on prior Dino projects, I would be very hesitant to recommend that this will profitable for you to fabricate. What usually happens in the Dino forum is 1) wild enthusiasm and encouragement that "everyone will need this" when the project is started, 2) numerous trials and setbacks during fabrication and then 3) complaints on pricing and lack of buyers when the product appears.

I wish you the best of luck and understand you're well versed on this product type so don't want to stifle you but realize that many claims here about "need" may not convert into actual purchases.

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #24 TTR, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Thank you for your courageous, yet quite accurate assessment of these types of affairs.
    Nothing new for me (or unexpected, hence my suggestion of "field poll") and probably not for most of the small business owner/car enthusiasts who come up with some specialized product or service in hopes of helping others and perhaps not go broke doing so.

If it's any conciliation for Dino community here, I've gone through these (more often fruitless than not) "exercises" with all sorts of vintage car clubs, groups and vendor entities over the years and seen many others, including some friends and clients, even loose their business' and more due to similar reasons.

I've even wasted a lot of time/money on some small, but beautiful specialty detail items I've seen even many Pebble Beach entries lacking or having in poor condition, but since my "targets" were little "lesser" makes/models produced in more substantial quantities (which I was mistakenly aiming for) and although only 2 or 3 different ones are in each vehicle, the eventual $15.00 price per each was ridiculed by many owners as "way too much for such small thing" and which "some of them can't even be easily seen once installed, so I only want to buy the one that is". Eventually, I decided to raise the price about ten-fold, which for some reason (?) for awhile led to more sales and now after 15 or so years and almost all sold, I might have broken even.

Although I produce and stock about 10-12 different specialty windshields along with couple of rear windows (most non-Ferrari and much more complex designs) with access to 100's of obscure patterns, most of my glass commissions are and in recent years have been mainly one-offs or very small productions for car makes/models with only handful in existence were owners usually don't have many choices. Yet, even with some of these projects I'm sometimes lucky to break even. And thankfully I'm not relying my livelihood on these glass productions/sales.

Timo

25. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    i Think you did miss understand, i dont live east of sweden i live IN sweden