Any affordable modern cars similar to the Dino driving experience? | FerrariChat

Any affordable modern cars similar to the Dino driving experience?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This is off-topic, but I'm looking for an affordable modern car that could be used as a DD but offers something at least remotely resembling the 246 experience on a canyon road.

I thought Porsche Boxster, but based on the 2001 I drove it feels like it was tuned to feel "substantial" and does not feel tossable. Add to that the IMS bearing failure issue and I'm not enthusiastic. The engine sounds great, though.

I only drove one (2006) Miata and it might have just been that car but I was not impressed with the engine note or its suspension-- an incredibly harsh ride for a mediocre driving experience.

Has anyone driven a Scion FR-S or its Subaru twin?

Jim

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Porsche Cayman GTS. For less money, a used Honda S2000.

3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I have no Dino time, but I'd bet you could play with an MR2 and get something close.

4. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Could try an FD3 RX7, older Elise, Tesla Roadster.

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #5 isuk, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  7. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Try a 1995/6 Lotus Elise. It won't depreciate either.

8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    A Lotus, yes. A Miata is good, too. Maybe even a 993, 997 Porsche. But no new car will be like the Dino.

Good looking car, Iain!

Andres

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Iain, that's the 4C, yes? Fabulous photos there. Is that yours? The first real sports car from Alfa in a long while, I think. It looks great!

Andres

10. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    #10 TonyJerseyUK, Jul 19, 2014
    But wayyyyyy too wide, Iain. Here's my answer - either one will do...

...and even a picture of Suarez in the picnic hamper! (hence no food left...) :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #11 Mark(study), Jul 19, 2014
    To me its still kind of weird... I drove the Boxster and wasn't impressed, then I drove a Cayman, which shouldn't be any different, ( critics call it a Boxster with a top) but the car was totally more engaging. I was looking for a car to trade-in my wifes Miata and I felt the Boxster felt more like our existing Miata (kind of bland to drive)... yet the Cayman reminded my more of my 2nd Generation 1994 Mr2 which was a fantastic example of a small, light, mid-engine car that you could flog on public roads.

Also, the 2001 Boxster is so different from the 2009-2012 987.2 Boxster Cayman that you'd think it was two completely different cars. Same as the new 20014 Boxster/Cayman is so different feeling than the 09-12 cars.

I have never been a fan-boy of Porsche but the original Cayman (987) was a modern car with old school feel. I looked at the Alpha C4 but the Cayman has a large front trunk and good size rear hatch and trunck, compared to the C4 that has no practical carry space. So the Cayman is a 2 seat, basic mid-engine car, with room for your luggage on a weekend get-a-way, that you can use most of its full potential on the street.

One last observation... I think Porsche lost the old-school "touch and feel" when they upgraded in 2014 to the new Cayman (981). The cars are faster on the track now, but less involving on the street. When they went with a wider/longer wheelbase, and much bigger wheels, the car lost its drama at speeds below 100mph. I test drove a 981 and felt the car did the driving for me on a section of twisties as I was able to do it at speed with one hand and keep a conversation going with the salesman. I ran the same road again with my 987 and felt like I had a larger role in keeping the car on the road. I guess I'm finding with modern cars (e steering, e handbrake, more advanced traction control, bigger wheels, more grip, and longer wheelbases)...a lack of that nervous drama that older car give you, that makes the driver feel like he is the most important variable to pulling off a great run (on public roads).

Photo below- three Porsche designs.... 911, 987 original Cayman, 981 new Boxster/Cayman. Notice the shape of the front hood in the 981 which is wider and more of a snub-nose look... as a result of going to bigger wheels and a longer-wheelbase. Faster lap times are possible with 20 inch wheels... but I found a lot less old school drama and fun on public roads at DD speeds compared to the original 17 inch wheels on the 987 Cayman. Old cars like the Dino were very minimalist, you felt like you were going 90mph when you were only going 50mph. I find the original Cayman 987 captured some of that quality (less car between you and the road)... in a way the the bigger 911 or new bigger 981 Cayman/Boxster misses in an effort to produce faster lap times at the race track. Do yourself a favor and try a 987.2 Cayman (09-12) for a modern daily driver that hasn't lost that old-school feel.

12. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #12 isuk, Jul 19, 2014
    Andres, yes it's my 4c Launch Edition model. It's a fantastic little car that takes you back to the pleasure of driving. It's a car that demands concentration if driven aggressively as the steering is very sharp but once you adapt to it's set up it becomes a lot of fun. The Launch Edition cars have a more track biased set up with firmer suspension, larger wheels and a louder race exhaust. I don't find it uncomfortable on the poorly surfaced roads we have here but it does seek out cambers and ruts in the road surface so you have to pay constant attention to the steering inputs. My other half has a Cayman R as her daily (soon switching to a new Cayman GTS) and that is also hugely entertaining to drive, about the same level of suspension comfort to the Alfa, but is not fazed by surface imperfections like the Italian car.

The Alfa is under 7cm ( 2 & 3/4") wider than the Porsche but I've never found it an issue and I very much doubt it will be one for Jim in CA.

It's well worth a test drive if you get an opportunity and make sure you put it in dynamic mode to get the best throttle response map. It is an incredibly fast car.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Alfa 4C has a carbon fibre tub!
    The Dino uses fibreglas

14. mosierjr

mosierjr Karting

Sep 29, 2009
    Texas USA
    Full Name:
    J.R.
    Having had both 246GTS and Boxster S over a decade, I can tell you the Boxster could outdrive the Dino any day of the week, in any condition (as can other cars). Maybe my Boxster with H&R springs, B&M shifter, sport exhaust, and 993 hollow spoke wheels is a bit sharper than the ones other posters tested. But all driving impressions in normal road conditions are largely personal opinion and preference. I have found the Boxster totally tossable at 10/10ths.

But here's the rub, the Dino driving experience is primarily about looks that can't be beat by practically any car, and an engine sound that is amazing. Probably the car that comes closest to the looks and sound combo is Ferrari's own 355. But they aren't new and have their own list of issues. However, they are less expensive than Dino's.

The global list of safety, emissions, impact, noise, fuel economics, and green concerns will make sure there is never anything truly like a modern Dino.

15. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    +1

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    About an inch less than a 355 which in the UK really is too wide to be as much fun as a 328 which is nearly five inches narrower or an Elise which is six inches narrower - and thats a shame since otherwise (especially in that white !) it presses almost every other button

17. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That Alfa is gorgeous.

18. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    There's a pretty good US review of the 4C here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STLuF98-fBM]2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Review - Kelley Blue Book - YouTube[/ame]

19. No_GTS_yet

No_GTS_yet Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    Germany
    Maybe a Ford GT, also mid-engined, but with much more power. Value increases, only around 4000 produced.

Not sure if it is suitable as a daily driver, depends on your weather conditions (don't want to drive that one in the heavy rain or snow) and your daily needs :)

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For a cheap option I immediately thought of the BRZ/FRS. If you can swing it, an Alfa 4C would be even better.

21. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #21 Pantdino, Jul 19, 2014
    I found this red Certified FR-S today and bought it. I could have gotten a better deal on a gray or white one but I sort of fell in love with the red.

The stats are actually pretty close to that of the Dino-- 200 hp, 2800 lbs, redline 7000.

On the test drive I of course couldn't probe the handling limits but it feels quite engaging and responsive and all the test reports say the handling is very neutral.

I'll pick it up tomorrow and test it on my favorite canyon road. :)

22. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

Excellent, I hope it suits your driving style. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

23. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I think that of all the cars mentioned previously the Toyota/Subaru, is probably the car the is closest to the Dino in terms of performance, in that it too is not that quick, but handles sweetly and feels light. If you can live with the badge(because let's face it badge psychology is one of the key feel good factors in owning a car) and you are partial to the looks then undoubtedly it is a a winner.

24. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #24 Pantdino, Jul 20, 2014
    Well, I didn't make it to my canyon road but did my usual 270 deg freeway onramps and it handles very neutrally. Apparently it is not possible to turn off the stability control fully without pulling the fuse for the ABS and I haven't done that yet, but I couldn't get the car to understeer or oversteer despite trying to with indiscreet throttle applications.

The funny thing is one thinks of it as a small car but it is almost exactly the same size as my daily driver E36 M3, which was NOT a small car when it was made in 1995. Cars just keep getting bigger. :(

25. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I'm a big fan of your choice. Honestly, not sure the difference between the Scion and Subaru but have heard to choose Subaru (no facts to back it up).

Anyway, congrats and enjoy!

dsd